CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made an appointment today to test ride the Honda NC700X. When I called yesterday, the salesman was a little iffy about it, so I made it clear that I was looking for a test ride, not to stand there staring at it parked on the carpet. (This dealership does do demo rides. Not all do.) Like I told him when I showed up today, I've done my homework. I've looked at it in person before and read every review. It was time to see what I thought about it in person.

So...my impressions...

Pros

• Engine and drivetrain. I really liked the engine on this bike. It pulled effortlessly with minimal rpms. The engine and manual transmission are well thought out and make riding around in town effortless. Power for merging on the freeway was great. No issues at all.
  • Clutch. Seamless. It wasn't too heavy and the shifts were smooth.

Cons

• The Seat. Wow. Waterboarding would be preferable.
  • Windshield? What windshield?
  • Wind Management. You might as well buy the standard version without the windscreen.

I was looking for a bike with a more compliant suspension than I have on my Burgman 400. I didn't find it. I took my 400 back over the same roads to see if I was being too critical, but I don't think I was. The ride was firm and I felt like I could feel every road imperfection. Of course, the tires were filled to 36/40, but I think that's where they are supposed to be. So what I was hoping to find with that "dual sport" suspension being able to absorb potholes, etc. better, really didn't seem to be the case. The only "plus" on that was with the slightly larger circumference 17 inch tires, the front wheel won't go into a pothole as far...but it wasn't that much of a difference.

I didn't know my tail bone had that little padding till I sat on this seat. I sat towards the back of the seat. That wasn't comfortable. I sat forward. Ouch! Well, not that bad, but it really wasn't good. There's a bone up there I've never felt before and would rather not feel again.

Wind management. There's none. You're exposed to the elements totally. If you ride in 70+ degree weather, this bike would be great. If not, you'd better be prepared to buy all the wind deflectors that Honda sells, and a new windshield. And since you bought the bike before mounting those items...you wouldn't know if they would do the job till you were totally committed.

Storage...the "frunk" is useful, but only in a limited way. You'd need to count on buying additional luggage...and it isn't cheap.

The engine and tranny is really the sweet saving grace on this bike. The shifts came very naturally to me, and I haven't been riding a manual transmission bike since the early 1980s. The engine rpms are so low, you're good to accelerate in any gear close to what you should be in. I pulled away from a stop once in 2nd, and it was hardly noticeable. The shifts were very positive. Nothing vague at all about them. And the clutch engagement was silky smooth.

Power was fine. I was riding on the freeway heading directly into a stiff 20 mph headwind and I didn't sense the engine was struggling at all.

I left with the feeling that this bike would've beat me to death on the SS1000 that I did last year on my Burgman 400. The 400 is a barcalounger in comparison. In addition, to get the NC700X up to the place where it moves from being an expensive toy to something useful for commuting, I'd have to spend money on:

• Seat
  • Windshield
  • Luggage
  • Wind deflectors
  • Hand guards

That's probably $2500-3000 in additional money over the purchase price. Not worth it IMHO.

The CTX700 comes in this June. I'll test it too when it arrives. I'm looking forward to it because it has that same wonderful drivetrain. Of course you're still looking at over $1000 for luggage to make it more than a toy, but the fairing will solve some of the problems I found in the NC700X.

I caution you to not take too much of what the magazine reviewers say about any of these motorcycles as "gospel" till you've ridden them yourself. The impression I get from reading some of the magazine reviews is the NC700X is a great bike for commuting on. I was mentioning the NC700X on an NT700V forum, and one of the guys test rode it and said 5 minutes on the freeway was enough to convince him the NC700X wasn't the bike for him. That's what I experienced. Of course, he isn't getting paid by Honda advertising and the magazine reviewers are. So when all you've had is the "first look" reviews...which are nothing more than reworded Honda press releases...calm yourself down.
The reality may not be the same.

Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I was also looking at the NC700X. I will probably try and see if I can schedule a test drive within the next couple weeks myself. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't very good.

I was worried about the wind turbulence myself. Did your model have the tall windscreen installed?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Everything on the bike was stock.

I've learned something on this bit of research on the bike. Join or lurk in the background on a forum where people own the bike you are thinking of. Look to see what modifications they are making. Each of those modifications is an indication of something not being quite right on the bike.

It's one thing when someone asks where do I find the drain plug for changing the oil. That's not a modification. But when they are looking for ways to improve the screen because of buffeting, or the seat because they can't ride cross-town, or the suspension because it isn't quite right...it is an indication that you might want to look into those areas before a purchase.

Since the CTX won't be in the dealer showrooms around here for another month, it'll be hard to even see one in person, except at a motorcycle show. So unless you hold off and let others be the guinea pig, you'll be the one who is starting the thread of "How Do I ..." ;) :D

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
So since there isnt much of a windscreen, do you think a tall windscreen is needed for you to ride the CTX?

Have you ridden a bike like the CTX that doesn't have much of a windscreen?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The closest I personally have ridden (and I hope others will chime in), is my Burgman 400 with the Givi Airflow windscreen. The Burgman 400 has a similar seating arrangement with a full fairing. The Givi Airflow windscreen is an adjustable windscreen, where if you'd like, you can actually take off the upper section and you're left with just a short sporty windscreen.

I did it on a "hot" day in Seattle. Temp was close to 80F. The wind flow was nice for cooling and on this one, it was not turbulent even on the freeway. However, it was also tiring. I'd never want to ride like that all the time for the distances I travel.

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts

I've learned something on this bit of research on the bike. Join or lurk in the background on a forum where people own the bike you are thinking of. Look to see what modifications they are making. Each of those modifications is an indication of something not being quite right on the bike.

It's one thing when someone asks where do I find the drain plug for changing the oil. That's not a modification. But when they are looking for ways to improve the screen because of buffeting, or the seat because they can't ride cross-town, or the suspension because it isn't quite right...it is an indication that you might want to look into those areas before a purchase.

Since the CTX won't be in the dealer showrooms around here for another month, it'll be hard to even see one in person, except at a motorcycle show. So unless you hold off and let others be the guinea pig, you'll be the one who is starting the thread of "How Do I ..." ;) :D

Chris
Hey daboo thanks for the detailed review of the CTX700. I enjoy reading your posts. So since your able to ride the CTX700 will you be buying it?

I find the exact thing with forums is that it has a lot of information whether if something is wrong or something needs to be improved. It's the greatest way to find out about the bike from actual owners or even people speculating thing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll still take the dealership up on a test ride when the CTX comes in, but I pick up my new NT700V tomorrow.

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts

Chris
I think I'll still take the dealership up on a test ride when the CTX comes in, but I pick up my new NT700V tomorrow.

Chris
Is that a cover for the exhaust on the nt700v or is it the actual exhaust. Looks nice though. If it had a smaller diameter exhaust it wouldn't match the look of the bike. Love the built in saddle cases ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is that a cover for the exhaust on the nt700v or is it the actual exhaust. Looks nice though. If it had a smaller diameter exhaust it wouldn't match the look of the bike. Love the built in saddle cases ;)
It's a heat shield because I believe the exhaust is a catalytic converter.

Chris

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
yeah by the looks of the CTX700 the exterior looks good but compromises the function for wind channeling and management. I would hate to take it for long rides on the freeway at those speeds for long intervals.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Chris
Shes a beauty! I remember seeing one of these and when I ended up on one for a closer look my wife got lost in the crowd. I found it to be very comfortable actually. The fairings and built in saddle case is more on the friendly side for aero. How much you picking up one for Daboo?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$7600 :) That's less than Kelley Blue Book Retail value the last time I checked.

One of the things I also like about the bike, is that while I'll spend some $$ on add-ons, none of them are necessary to get some functionality out of the bike.

Chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought the NC700X,

I have been riding it for a few weeks now, and to me the seat is fine for short rides of 1 hour or less.

Every bike i have ever had, Most people complain about the seat even Goldwings, & change the seat.

This is a Naked bike, you cant expect a complete bubble like experience out of a naked bike,

But for the screen being the small size that it is I think that Honda did a great job as the air flow is fairly smooth for it being a naked bike.

Much smoother than many naked bikes i have ridden like the Vstrom 1000 that I had was not as smooth as the NC700X

1 - 14 of 14 Posts