CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weatherman said 106 today. So at 7:45am and 73 degrees I headed out of town on the freeway and cut off on Hwy 70 on a 2 lane 55mph river route to Quincy. The picture was along the scenic ride. I gassed up in Quincy (65.7MPG) Heading back, I went Hwy 162, a mountain route with 55mph two lane road with many 25mph curves Bucks Lake (5200 Ft elev.) then down around Lake Oroville to Home (90 Ft elev.). 93 degrees 11:50am and odometer says I went 160.3 mile ride.
I wore boots, perforated summer gloves, jeans, thin long sleeve shirt, Joe Rocket mesh jacket , neck scarf and clamshell helmet. Since I have a windshield I was very comfortable till I got about 15 miles from home. I carried some water with me and stopped and poured it through my mesh jacket arms, front and back somewhat soaking my shirt underneath. By the time I reached home 15 minutes later, I was almost dry. The warm air made the wet shirt very cool and refreshing.
Now was the CTX perfect, in my mind, for the variety of riding I did today. No, but neither was any other bike I have taken on this loop. Going up a 10 mile 6% grade in 5th at 70mph was easy. I purred along the scenic highway at 60 sometimes in 6th gear sometimes in 5th. That was pretty mellow. When in the very twisty downhill section I felt like the motor doesn’t slow you down as quick as other bikes I have ridden and because of that it would be easy to go too fast into a corner. Was not the case going uphill as all bikes slow faster. I am sure as I get more seat time, I will get better at judging the speed downhill and dropping a gear or 2 could also help. Sometimes you just can’t take your eyes off the road to look at the speedometer. Overall a fun day on my new CTX.
One of 3 tunnels along the river.
hwy70 tunnel.jpg

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, Not Honda. It was a leftover F15 I had on my Hawk GT that I kept when I sold the bike. I had gotten it off E bay . I put some mounting info in the How to section. It is very hot right now and it does keep the heat off somewhat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Weatherman said 106 today. So at 7:45am and 73 degrees I headed out of town on the freeway and cut off on Hwy 70 on a 2 lane 55mph river route to Quincy. The picture was along the scenic ride. I gassed up in Quincy (65.7MPG) Heading back, I went Hwy 162, a mountain route with 55mph two lane road with many 25mph curves Bucks Lake (5200 Ft elev.) then down around Lake Oroville to Home (90 Ft elev.). 93 degrees 11:50am and odometer says I went 160.3 mile ride.
I wore boots, perforated summer gloves, jeans, thin long sleeve shirt, Joe Rocket mesh jacket , neck scarf and clamshell helmet. Since I have a windshield I was very comfortable till I got about 15 miles from home. I carried some water with me and stopped and poured it through my mesh jacket arms, front and back somewhat soaking my shirt underneath. By the time I reached home 15 minutes later, I was almost dry. The warm air made the wet shirt very cool and refreshing.
Now was the CTX perfect, in my mind, for the variety of riding I did today. No, but neither was any other bike I have taken on this loop. Going up a 10 mile 6% grade in 5th at 70mph was easy. I purred along the scenic highway at 60 sometimes in 6th gear sometimes in 5th. That was pretty mellow. When in the very twisty downhill section I felt like the motor doesn’t slow you down as quick as other bikes I have ridden and because of that it would be easy to go too fast into a corner. Was not the case going uphill as all bikes slow faster. I am sure as I get more seat time, I will get better at judging the speed downhill and dropping a gear or 2 could also help. Sometimes you just can’t take your eyes off the road to look at the speedometer. Overall a fun day on my new CTX.
One of 3 tunnels along the river.
View attachment 330
Sweet! How did it sound inside that tunnel?! :p

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Louder, but not very much . Wind noise almost always overpowers the muffler sound above 50mph

·
Registered
898 Posts
Looks like a fun ride Bill, but that is some real heat where you are! We are fighting tropical weather systems trying to get back to Florida from Alabama right now. We expect it this time of year but this is a brutal system coming through.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a fun ride Bill, but that is some real heat where you are! We are fighting tropical weather systems trying to get back to Florida from Alabama right now. We expect it this time of year but this is a brutal system coming through.
I hope you made it back home safe.

Usually our heat is dry which is far different than the heat you get with high humidity. Latest weather looks like we will be down to 93 Saturday so I may have to dig out my jacket liner.... lol

·
Registered
898 Posts
Made as far as Dothan, AL with some high wind and bad rains. We did 300 miles and just gave it up for a Hilton Garden. We will push on into Florida today but not sure we will try to make it all the way home. I hate to give up vacation until I have to. Should be a little easier ride today with rains not as heavy and winds down.
Mags is anxious to get her new CTX and I have a new NC700 with only 21 miles on it waiting for me to break in. Nothing but time until August, so one more week of ride time somewhere is our plan before I go back to work. Maybe somewhere without the heavy rains would be more fun. LOL!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My hat's off to you (or should I say helmet). I ride in cold and hot but I draw the line at rain. You sound like your making some headway home in the rain. Don't know what kind of bike(s) your on but with the new ones at home you will get a good change of pace.

good luck getting home soon.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Made it home (370 miles). Tough ride for sure!
Wife is on a Vulcan 500 and I am on a Vulcan 1700 Classic. Both setup with hardbags and I use a Nelson Rigg backrest luggage with a Bikers Friend luggage rack tote.
The rain is never a problem for us as our rain suits keeps us dry. But the wind, was a real problem. I can do one or the other but when both hit me, I have to just bail for a safe place to lay over Lots of tropical stuff moving fast through the South now.
We have a few motorcycles of different styles and ride them all. We have our favorites and I really believe the new Hondas will become our new favorites for every kind of riding. We are planning another Ironbutt using the new Hondas soon.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thumper, glad you made it home ok. Gee you must be hauling all the heavy stuff if you got the 1700 Vulcan and wife only the 500. I bet the wind pushes her around more.

question on the Ironbutt rides. How many have you done and what were the total miles attempted and in how many days. Did you do the 10 for 10 (10k in 10 days)?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I once rode a 80 cc scooter (Honda Elite 80) 530 miles in 17 hours, at an average of 42 mph; stopping every 90 miles or so to get gas and a short break. The trip was from rural middle TN from state Highway 111 to U.S. 11 (Dixie Hwy) all the way to Hattiesburg, MS, where I stayed in a motel. The next morning I rode to Camp Shelby, MS to a national guard school just a few more miles away. When I got to the school, some of the other troops wanted to know if I rode that scoot. When I replied that I did and where I rode it from, some of them had to call their Harley buddies who complain about long rides, and give them a hard time. One of the guys said that the school should just go ahead and give me a diploma for what I had already done just to get there.

I did it just to see if I could do it. I averaged about 90 mpg.

Back then there weren't many laws in the south regarding riding scooters along state highways, because that was before scooters had gotten popular down here. One can't legally do this today in most states, including my state. Nowadays, you get a restricted plate for a scooter under 125 cc.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thumper, glad you made it home ok. Gee you must be hauling all the heavy stuff if you got the 1700 Vulcan and wife only the 500. I bet the wind pushes her around more.

question on the Ironbutt rides. How many have you done and what were the total miles attempted and in how many days. Did you do the 10 for 10 (10k in 10 days)?
Yes, I carry the all the major weight when we travel. She is only 5' and petite in size. She is a very experienced rider and we feel very comfortable on the road together. What she lacks in mechanical knowledge, she more than makes up in her expert mapping and route knowledge. She is a Master of finding the best roads I have ever been on.
I set her Vulcan 500 up with hardbags and a trunk for misc. items and needs. She handles the wind better than my 1700. I think mainly due to the packs catching so much air on the back of my bike.

We have done two of the Saddlesore 1000's. We were able to complete them in 23 hours for the first and 18 hrs on the second. Traffic and weather play a big part of the time difference. We want to try the 1500 in 36 hrs but not sure if we can do that one yet. It is a great way for us to make time across the country. I have total respect for anyone that has completed the 10 for 10 Ironbutt! That takes serious committment.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I once rode a 80 cc scooter (Honda Elite 80) 530 miles in 17 hours, at an average of 42 mph; stopping every 90 miles or so to get gas and a short break. cc.
That was a good ride on a small cc bike Greg!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey BIll:
I live in Redding, and you must be close with heat at 106 degrees. I often ride in temperatures above 100 degrees and am really anxious for some fall weather.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Coming from scooters, we take ours through twisty roads and such all summer. 125 and 150. they do fine until you hit about 9k feet, and then the poor little carb can't keep up :p.

It's funny ho you acclimate to different elevations/temps. I have an gogo gear armored hoodie for anything over 75! My regular commute (only a few miles) I've done in the negatives with only standard gear and long johns. I'd die at 106!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey BIll:
I live in Redding, and you must be close with heat at 106 degrees. I often ride in temperatures above 100 degrees and am really anxious for some fall weather.
Oroville is about as hot as Redding. Now it's Middle of Jan and 70 Degrees. Warm enough to ride. When it's hot there, you gotta head into the mountain roads surrounded by lots of tall trees where its much cooler. I ride up the canyon towards Quincy to beat the heat. Nice ride.

rubber side down.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Coming from scooters, we take ours through twisty roads and such all summer. 125 and 150. they do fine until you hit about 9k feet, and then the poor little carb can't keep up :p.

It's funny ho you acclimate to different elevations/temps. I have an gogo gear armored hoodie for anything over 75! My regular commute (only a few miles) I've done in the negatives with only standard gear and long johns. I'd die at 106!
Modern bikes with Fuel Injection sure solved the elevation problems carbs had.

The key to 106 riding is start early like sun up when cool, ride as much as you can before it gets that hot and map it so it is only the last 30 minutes or less till you get off.

I have a Joe Rocket mesh armored jacket for hot weather. Pouring water on the jacket helps a little when over 100. A wet scarf around the neck helps too and if wearing jeans pour some on them too. Also, the key is to not get dehydrated inside your body when riding hot. As far as cold goes, this year I have heated jacket/glove liners so can ride all day at 40-45 degrees. I draw the line at 32. I don't do ICE...lol

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Cold packs placed in a tube sock with ties and wrapped around the neck have been used by firefighters for many years to cool the body during high heat extremes. Works great, lasts most of the day and you don't have to get wet. There are commercial applications sold on the market that are more convenient.

·
Registered
301 Posts
For hot weather I use a cool vest under my non mesh jacket. You soak the vest in water, it will soak up 10-15lbs, the non mesh jacket slows the evaporation. If you don't want to buy a cool vest you can soak a heavy cotton sweat shirt. At 100+' the cool vest with jacket is good for about 1.5hrs. Cool vest with mesh about 60-45min. Sweat shirt with jacket about 45min. Sweat shirt with mesh 20-30min. Funny to be talking hot waether riding in January.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts