CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This post is not about my CTX, in fact I haven't been riding a whole lot this summer due to this project. Finishing it up now, I'll post some motorcycle ride videos soon. The Silver Bullet still rides beautifully.

The Project: I have accumulated a vast library of VHS camcorder tapes and Hi-8 video tapes of my kids and grandkids while they were growing up. The kids are now located all over the Country, and I even spend winters down south. I found a device that allowed me to convert these tapes to MP4 format, and I uploaded them to a private YouTube file, and emailed the kids the link. Now they can view all the old dance recitals, birthday parties, musical concerts, 1st days of schools, graduations, etc. etc. Some tapes are close to 40 years old, and we didn't get together very often to review the old memories any more, and who (besides me) has a VHS player now? They all love it, and hopefully technology won't obsolete YouTube very soon. :LOL:

I'll post the Amazon link to the elgato conversion device. There are cheaper units, but the YouTube reviews say they don't work well. The elgato worked perfectly and is user-friendly. Give it a try.

Here is a YouTube video showing how to set it up. As always, there are many How-to videos for this.

·
Registered
2015 CTX700
19 Posts
Elgato makes pretty good stuff. I have an HDMI recorder from them, records up to 1080p. They also have a 4K version. And I have a version of the type you mention above, but a different brand. Elgato is probably the best for consumer-grade conversion. Pro versions from companies like Blackmagic can run a few hundred on up. The issue you may run into, if you're capturing a packaged movie on VHS, will be the Macrovision copy protection. There are devices available that can defeat that easily, though. Same goes for HDMI capture devices.

For audio tape conversion, you can use a computer that has a mic input with a 1/8" stereo connector, and a cable that splits out into 2 RCA connectors. Install Audacity to capture and edit. Or you can go nuts and get a Tascam SD card audio recorder for a couple hundy.

(BTW, my resume includes 30 years of working in video production. I've seen a massive shift in technology in that time, from tape-based editing in standard definition to desktop digital editing in 8K, streaming, virtual sets, and cloud-based production workflows. It's been quite a ride!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts