CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi CTX700Forum :p
I've never owned a motorcycle before but I'm going for my license soon and I'm thinking the Honda CTX700 would be a perfect bike for a beginner like me! I've never used manual transmission before, so the DCT is what sort of lured me in. I also find the bike very comfortable and easy to get on and off and I really like the scooter-ish look with the fairing, it's so cute! Is this anyone else's first bike?And are there any other models I should be looking at instead?
Thanks in advance!
xo Jessica

·
Registered
40 Posts
My CTX is my first motorcycle but I've been riding a KLX125 dirt bike for a couple years. In my opinion for a new and beginner friendly motorcycle the CTX is the best option and is very value priced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quick Jessica! Hide before Billnoroville comes ;)

Joking aside, I did learn a couple pointers from a thread I started where I asked the same thing. Best advice I got was to not buy a new bike as a first bike (thanks Pete!) as you're probably going to get a few bumps and scratches on it while you're learning.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I totally agree with Jax! An old saying goes, "It's not if your going down, it's when". God forbid you ever have to experience that, but as a new rider, **it happens. I would recommend a smaller, older bike to become comfortable and then move up. I like the Buell Blast (500cc) and Kawasaki Vulcan EN500. Both can be found out there for very little money, have low seat height and are fairly reliable and easy to work on.
Take your time and you will do fine.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Hi CTX700Forum :p
I've never owned a motorcycle before but I'm going for my license soon and I'm thinking the Honda CTX700 would be a perfect bike for a beginner like me! I've never used manual transmission before, so the DCT is what sort of lured me in. I also find the bike very comfortable and easy to get on and off and I really like the scooter-ish look with the fairing, it's so cute! Is this anyone else's first bike?And are there any other models I should be looking at instead?
Thanks in advance!
xo Jessica
Hi Jessica, hope your hiding... not really. Most (there might be some, I am not sure) used bikes will not have the luxury of the DCT so you would have to start off learning clutch and gears (of course if you have ever driven a car with a stick that might help) unless you started with a scooter. It is a must, that you take a riding course to get you going in the right direction. Then pick a bike after that. The CTX with the DCT appeals to many scooter riders who are used to no clutch and seasoned riders who don't care to mess with the clutch. If you buy a used bike (it is a buyers market) then when you are ready to go bigger, you will not loose much if any money. I think the CTX is not a good choice for a beginner with no riding experience. good luck.

Yes, I do argue the point that the CTX is not a scooter. Or that Honda designed it all wrong. Yes, modern scooters are getting larger engines and larger tires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've never owned a motorcycle before but I'm going for my license soon and I'm thinking the Honda CTX700 would be a perfect bike for a beginner like me! I really like the scooter-ish look with the fairing, it's so cute!
Ok Jessica, the others are *****-footing around it, but I’ll come right out and say it. Your first sentence says it all. You’re just another nobody trying to get a rise out of this group. You’re probably a seasoned sports rider or the partner/friend of one, who finds this bike not to your liking. As for your description “cute”...Motorcycles aren’t cute, they’re dangerous. The shops are full of any kind of bike and every price range imaginable, so go maim yourself on something easier to get hold of than the CTX. Others here may be more supportive, but I’ve seen what happens to gung-ho riders and it’s not a pretty sight. Apologise?...Forget it. If the group wants to throw me off, that's fine...At least I'll still be in one piece.

·
Registered
898 Posts
LMAO Tom! You're going to get the CTX owners labled as Outlaws now for sure.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Way to go Tom, They ask for the truth but can't "face the truth".

Statistics prove the life expectancy of a new rider goes down with the horsepower of the new bike and goes up if they have had a riders course.

Some people just have a death wish. If they do, they should start with a Liter sport bike (Nija 1000, F1, CBR1000 are all good).

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Jessica.. I started with the Riders Course and found I did not like manual very well or was that the manual did not like me.. couldn't ell at that time. So I opted for my first choice of a scooter. My analytical reasoning was that with a scooter I could learn to maneuver in traffic and such without the added humiliation of dropping the clutch regularly. Yeah..I bought it new and yeah..I dropped it with in 2 weeks of getting it. I was fully aware of eventuality of it and could live with that. Not everybody can. If I put a scratch on the CTX that quick I will mostly be upset with myself for what ever stupid thing I did to cause it.
If you are sincere in wanting to learn to ride and don't have any riders as friends and or relatives then do yourself a favor and take the Basic Riders Course FIRST then decide what you want to ride or if you want to ride.
As a scooter rider and a CTX700D rider I can tell you the CTX with DCT is NOT a scooter. They handle very differently. The CTX IS a motorcycle. The weight, power, styling, etc. is all motorcycle. Scooters tend to have more protection for your legs and shorter wheelbases.
Always remember Powered Two Wheeled riding is inherently dangerous. You must be accept the risk of life & limb not only for yourself but also for the collateral damage to your friends & loved ones. Each one of who rides do this every time we swing a leg over the saddle. It is critical to remember this every time you ride.

·
Registered
115 Posts
wow, cranky folks! my rule is that "any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from the real deal, so treat every response in earnest as someone sincere might learn something."

with that in mind: TAKE THE MSF COURSE. i do not know if i would recommend the ctx700, with or without dct, as a first bike -- although you CAN ride it as a first bike and probably be okay, but you may pick up some bad habits as your formative skills fight your untrained reactions. my recommended order for the safest, most learning conducive approach to this hobby (and given that i am not a rider of notable experience like some of the folks above) is: bicycle and/or dirt bike->250cc for a season->whatever you think you can handle. scooters are fine as a stepping stone, too, as clutch skills can be picked up easily by most folks once the basics of riding at speed are ingrained and the proper reactions to the road environment changes are part of your purview, although you may need to unlearn some sketchy throttle behaviors and develop an appreciation for engine braking/downshifting.

(seriously, and gregsfc can testify: start on a bv 350 if your goal is a ctx! it does about 80% of what the ctx does, has massive utility, but will be a bit more kind if you get grabby with the brakes and is more parking lot maneuverable.)

as for drops: they happen. get some frame sliders (when they hit the market for the ctx. are there any yet?) or other crash guards if you wanna protect the plastic. even experienced riders can't avoid a drop. don't ride like you fear a drop, or you will have one. this is a hobby full of risk, and i prefer damage to plastic over the damage to me that can happen if i ride nervously and without the confidence to commit to my decisions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
To whom it may concern.
Anyone who feels in anyway slighted with anything I have said can rejoice in still being alive.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Old Tom, I consider any day above ground to be great day. Can I rejoice now....lol

Hop on your Velocette and think how lucky you are.

Bill

PS I want to see a pic of that think where I put my cb650

1 - 12 of 12 Posts