CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only is it rather unpleasant to top this he11's spawn in 85 degree heat, if I dare wear shorts I'm going to end up with a burn on my calf. Anyone else? Long jeans help but I roll with no socks so the heat Still finds my ankles. OK the marks on the right leg may relate to muffler searing but still....sorry, not ready to wear boots just yet.

Thinking real hard about using the best synthetic oil next change. The experts posting on the interwebs say they reduce the thermal signature significantly, which is fitting for a bike which I will refer to hereon as my Stealth Boomer.

Maybe if I added cooling fans to the front of the radiator too...I could pick me up 1or2 mph right thar. I would add a sail too if I didnt think it would take it right over the unit's Vmax.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I haven't thought about bare-skin burns. I still have too much respect for the pavement to consider wearing shorts riding any PTW. I have noticed that I can safely dismount on the right side as long as I don't let my right foot go back behind the plastic, right exhaust guard, which is easier for me because my lower back allows me to lift my right foot higher than my left, and the fact that the left side of the bike is lower than the right once placed on the side stand. So what I'm stating is that it's not too hot on my jeans or boots and so this has not been a problem for me, but I guess bare skin is a different matter, however, I won't be trying this out anyway, since I won't ride in shorts, t-shirt, and/or any foot wear except for good, leather-like boots.

Parking and unparking have been a little of a learning curve for me, and I'm still much more partial to the scooter-style set up with respect to having two brake hand levers for several reasons, one of them being that, on the scooter, even though it was a big, heavy scooter, I could simply stop and hop off holding on to the left (rear) brake lever. On the MC, I've not been able to figure out a way to mount or dismount w/o first setting the bike over on the side stand, because, if I've got the bike in neutral, which I often need to do in order to get the bike to the parked position and/or the start-out position, I can't hold it still while dismounting or mounting. Of course, I could put the bike back in gear once I get it where I want to go, but then that's like another extra step. When I had the scooter, I could dawn all my riding gear; roll it in reverse out of the shed and keep rolling till I had it facing the opposite direction; and then immediately mount it, start it, and go. With the CTX, I can just as easily back it out and get it turned around, but then (standing on the left side with no way of stopping the wheels from rolling, I've got to set it on the side stand, then mount it, raise the side stand, start it, put it in gear, and go. Not that big a deal in the whole scheme of things, but having a brake at your disposal, standing on either side, to hold the ride in place, is a real advantage of a scooter over a straight-shift bike as a matter of convenience.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have ridden my CTXND all summer here in AZ with shorts on. In July and August, we had tons of 110+ days. I don't think this bike runs hotter than any other. And those Harleys with their chrome pipes just under the rider's calves can't be sending out air conditioning either.
Grin and bear it.

Ride Safe, Ride Often,
f

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I had a Hyosung cruiser with water cooling, no pipe burns just roasted chestnuts (lol).

Talked with a dealer (into sport bikes), he said there is a different coolant for the radiator which keeps the engines a lot cooler. Sorry, don't remember the name of the product.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No problem with running hot in normal riding conditions in Central FL. I have had it get hot practicing low speed manuevers in parking lots. In fact, I think I hear a fan kick in sometimes. But in normal riding conditions it handles the heat much better than my air cooled Harley did.

FYI, proper riding gear highly recommended. Chosen properly, riding gear can make for a cooler ride vs. riding with exposed skin not to mention the safety factor.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No problem with running hot in normal riding conditions in Central FL. I have had it get hot practicing low speed manuevers in parking lots. In fact, I think I hear a fan kick in sometimes. But in normal riding conditions it handles the heat much better than my air cooled Harley did.

FYI, proper riding gear highly recommended. Chosen properly, riding gear can make for a cooler ride vs. riding with exposed skin not to mention the safety factor.
I notice the fan coming on when practicing in parking lots, but it hasn't been a problem.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
My 100+ degree hot weather gear is a 3/4 helmet with full tinted shield, leather gloves fully perforated, a cloth army cammo jacket (so arms don't get wind burned), t-shirt, light jeans, tall boots (Response Gear w/lace front/zippered sides 29.95). If I get real hot, I can pour water on jacket. Jacket is actually cooler than my mesh jacket but does not have armor protection.

If someone wants to ride naked, that's ok with me, No skin off my nose.... or butt or knees, or hands, or......

As far as the bike running hot, I run synthetic oil and I hear the fan come on about the same as all my other bikes did. With no heat gage there is no way to tell how actually hot it is but readings on my laser temp gun show low 200 degrees when is fine for an engine. Never seen the idiot light come on yet.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
THIS. My Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket is much cooler than just a t-shirt - and a lot better protection as well. Not only does it flow a ton of air, it keeps you "in the shade" all the time. Likewise with mesh pants and summer riding boots.

Think about portable shade for yourself (clothes) - it can help keep you considerably cooler by keeping direct sunlight off your skin!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts