CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like saddle bags but not tail bags as they are always in the way when getting off or on my bike the way I throw my leg over the back of the bike I guess.

I got a pair of Tourmaster cortech saddle bags off ebay for 70.00 with shipping. They have Velcro straps for under the seat and quick release latches for securing the front and back. Brand new and red (but wrong red so my bad). These are an older shape as the new ones are more square.

So, looking at how they sit along each side, my big worry was when I fill them they will want to lean in towards the wheel and might get hit by the suspension or wheel. So I wanted to prevent that. I bought a 48inch peace of angle aluminum 1/2 by 3/4 and figured I could use one screw and nut at each end. One end goes bolts to the front tie down and the other on top of the license frame lip. Being angle shaped it is very strong and should not allow the bag to swing inward. Since the whole setup is 4 bolts they will be quick on or off if I choose.

pictures attached.

Vehicle Car Auto part Tire Automotive exterior

this pic shows how bracket was attached at the rear. I should have used flat black instead of semi-gloss. Future work. lol
Vehicle Baggage Car Bag Luggage and bags

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Excellent idea, would it be possible to see another mounting photo or two of the hardware and possibly a couple of the bags with the entire bike in the photo? Nice!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for front end of bracket. I put fabric tape over the bike tie down where my bracket rests to protect the paint. I cut a small piece of the angle with tinsnips that went under the end and prevents bar from moving around. The tail end just has 1 bolt as shown in the first set of pictures. I also put the ends in a vise and bent/angled them to match both ends to what they bolted to for a flatter better mount. The bags came with 4 loops with connector so simply looped them around the bikes front tie downs and my bracket will prevent them from being removed. The bag Velcro straps running between the two has a narrow on behind the seat lock hook and some sticks out from under the seat. The front wider Velcro strap is fully hidden under the seat. A soft black foam pad is between the bags and the plastic red cowl to protect it from scratches. The two bags at the back simply have a strap going between them. The bags have a place to plug in the tail bag straps if that was to be used. Nothing is attached to the bracket I made but the lower portion of the bag rests against it. I took a ride over a rough rode and nothing hit the bracket. Pictures are not great but maybe description helps. I got the angle aluminum at Home depot for 6 bucks.

front bracket view
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

bike
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Red

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Outstanding, if I go this route I mat need more help on bolting the bars on. Great job.
to add a note:

Mount the front first, then cut to length and drill the tail end. I had them off and on many times to get it right. Painting was last before final mounting.

I also shortened the Velcro straps running under the seat because they were too long. A couple of inches. A pair of scissors work fine. I like the Tourmaster bags I had on my Hawk GT and these actually are smaller but if you unzip the outer zipper (not the outer pouch) they grow in width about 2 inches. They are rated at 10 pounds tee shirts and jeans will not weigh that much. They also came with a rain bonnet for each side that I carry in the outer pouch. They have a stiff bottom so they keep their shape pretty well. You can find them on most dealer racks if you look for them. About 129.00 retail

·
Registered
842 Posts
Very innovative solution to a $1000 option from Honda!. What is your thinking on that rear attach point on the licence plate? Is it really strong enough?

I really like the look, and my wife will love that she gets to take more than one outfit on a trip.

Ride Safe, Ride Often,
f

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very innovative solution to a $1000 option from Honda!. What is your thinking on that rear attach point on the licence plate? Is it really strong enough?

I really like the look, and my wife will love that she gets to take more than one outfit on a trip.

Ride Safe, Ride Often,
f
brackets only keep bags from swinging inwards and are not attached to the bags so yes, tail support should be strong enough.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Excellent post - thanks. I'll be adding some kind of luggage this winter, but there are so many options out there that it's confusing. I'm a cheapskate, so no GIVI or Honda need apply, and your solution looks very good.

Eventually I'll add a topbox; do you think your setup would interfere with that?

Thanks again.

Jim

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent post - thanks. I'll be adding some kind of luggage this winter, but there are so many options out there that it's confusing. I'm a cheapskate, so no GIVI or Honda need apply, and your solution looks very good.

Eventually I'll add a topbox; do you think your setup would interfere with that?

Thanks again.

Jim
Thanks, These soft bags have a top receptacle on each corner so tail bag plugs right in and they work together as a unit. My setup would work well with a tailbag not sure about a Box. If I was to put a box on top, I would have to get the rack so it sits back farther out of my leg range. The rack would still allow the bags where they are now and the bracket I made would be under the cowl so out of the way for sure.

So far I am happy with their capacity and easy of opening and closing. Have put a set of leather over pants in one side and a full mesh jacket in the other plus gloves. Just unzipped the expansion zipper and they are about 2 inches wider.

Look for corner strap receptacles on Tourmaster bags. I never use top bag because I don't like how my leg always hits it when I get on or off bike.

Ebay is full of throw over type bags. many choices.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I posted somewhere else, but if anyone prefers or would consider a hard top case, I found one that almost exactly matches the red CTX from Amazon for about $90 with free shipping. Comes with back pad, mounting plate, brake light, and wiring to hook up the brake light. It's 42 liters, but one needs the support brackets and rack from Honda or be a cheap skate like me and jerry rig it some how. It will hold my helmet and armored, mesh jacket as long as the jacket doesn't have the liner in it; otherwise it will hold my helmet and few small items like my rain gear.

Amazon.com: Bestem T-Box TBOX-2012-RED Red 20" X 10.5" X 16" Motorcycle/Scooter Top Box: Automotive

But I'm a fan of what Bill has come up with as well and many folks don't like top cases.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I completed this project today. I picked up all the parts for this at Lowe's for under $25. Very easy to make. It took me roughly 2 hours to complete. I used the rear reflector mount instead of drilling a hole in the tail bracket. Very pleased with how it turned out.

Thanks for the idea on how to do this. Saved me a lot of money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like the bag idea, good share. What type of windshield is that in post #3, I'm in the market for something, I bought the naked version and now realize how much I miss the windshield. Can you help me out with this? thanks, defilade

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like the bag idea, good share. What type of windshield is that in post #3, I'm in the market for something, I bought the naked version and now realize how much I miss the windshield. Can you help me out with this? thanks, defilade
Windshield is 34 years old...
don't know the brand but it came off a 1979 CB650 four. Was hanging in my garage so thought what the ****, how will it work on the CTX. Cut 4 inches off the top and maybe 3 off the bottom. used the same mounting points as my F15 on an earlier post.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm considering ordering these or something like them to add storage capacity beyond my top case. My top case sits on the seat. If I add these, I'll have to remove the grab handles or just let the bags lie against the outside of them.

There are three things I'm wandering about:

It looks like, by the way it's described, that the saddle bags simply lie against the aluminum bars to keep the bags from going inward towards the wheel and are not actually attached to the bars. Is this correct?

Mine would be on there along with the top case that would be pretty much be directly above the bags. My top case sticks out about 4" wider than the passenger's seat on each side. It may be a problem gaining access to the inner-most zipped compartment. I could unzip it, but I may not be able to put anything with any size in their w/o first removing the top case. Of course that can be done in about 10 seconds, and another 10 seconds to remount it, so it's not too big a deal.

Also, it might be a problem with latching the seat back on to the bike with the straps from the saddle bags plus the lashing straps used for the top case. The lashing straps already make the fit very tight, and this would add to the straps going under the seat. They may actually get in each others way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
. If I add these, I'll have to remove the grab handles or just let the bags lie against the outside of them.

There are three things I'm wandering about:

It looks like, by the way it's described, that the saddle bags simply lie against the aluminum bars to keep the bags from going inward towards the wheel and are not actually attached to the bars. Is this correct?

Mine would be on there along with the top case that would be pretty much be directly above the bags. My top case sticks out about 4" wider than the passenger's seat on each side. It may be a problem gaining access to the inner-most zipped compartment. I could unzip it, but I may not be able to put anything with any size in their w/o first removing the top case. Of course that can be done in about 10 seconds, and another 10 seconds to remount it, so it's not too big a deal.

Also, it might be a problem with latching the seat back on to the bike with the straps from the saddle bags plus the lashing straps used for the top case. The lashing straps already make the fit very tight, and this would add to the straps going under the seat. They may actually get in each others way.
Not sure how the bags would hang over the handles, Maybe one strap over and one strap under or ??? not sure .

The bags rest against the added aluminum bars. no fastened to them in any way.

The top zipper opening is opened by two zippers leashed together with a cord. you pull the cord and both zippers slide to open the top cover that is about 4 inches wide. Your box would have to not be so close the inner zipper would hit it. The opening is wide enough I can fold up my leather overpants and slide them into a bag easily. I have 15 inches between the inner zippers near the seat grab strap and 13 at the rear just past the end of the seat

the bags use a 4.5 inch wide Velcro strap at the front and a 2 inch for rear. The rear strap is 1/2 inch behind the seat latch. You could reduce the stack of straps under the seat by putting one over maybe. You only need one under to lock them on the bike.

the seat latch part on the seat is molded in so no way to make it longer.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice look with the bags , however I was really interested in your windscreen. Where did you get and how much if I may ask.
from #13 on this tread....

Windshield is 34 years old...
don't know the brand but it came off a 1979 CB650 four. Was hanging in my garage so thought what the ****, how will it work on the CTX. Cut 4 inches off the top and maybe 3 off the bottom. used the same mounting points as my F15 on an earlier post (take a look there too).

There are similar shapes on ebay. good luck

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm going to be looking in to these saddle bags pretty hard in conjunction with my top case which is mounted to the pillion seat via the top case mount. If I find that the access zippers on top are too high, relative to my top case for easy access; I'll simply add a spacer to slightly lift the height of my top case.

The reason I need more space is that the top case allows for absolutely zero room height wise with regards to my helmet, so, if I can't get another item around the sides without going above or below the helmet; then I can't fit the item. I need something to give me space for another fairly large item or two in addition to my helmet, which I don't have right now. And I got a really, really got a good deal on the top case, and it looks good, so I don't want to give it up. Adding some affordable saddle bags would be just the thing I need.

The home made support saddle bag stays are an excellent idea; looks fine appearance wise; and saves many, many $$$. Thanks Bill for posting your ingenious ideas.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gregsfc, ebay often has several types of tourmaster bag. The newer ones have greater capacity due to their shape. At least you can cruise there and get an idea of the going price. Sometimes the pictures show that not all straps are there and that they are dirty or damaged. If you buy used, don't just go on price, make sure you get the 4 loop straps and there is no muffler burned damage. Used once and stored in a dusty garage means dirty. Like new is not always. Anyway. some dealers carry them too so you can do the touchy feely thing to get a better look, prices and material. soft bags are not waterproof but the come with shower caps to put over them. Less than 80.00 invested worked out well for me but the red sticks out some. I probably should have gotten black but then no bidders wanted red so maybe that is why I got them cheaper. Good luck

1 - 20 of 37 Posts