CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I have an apology or two. I needed to change the oil, DCT filter, etc., on the CTX and I volunteered to record the process it for a new member. I am very sorry, but I forgot to record the process. Next time for sure. I still need to do the VFR and I'll record that. The process is about the same except for the right lower shroud removal. The other apology is for this appearing to be an oil thread. It is not intended as such.

Changed to Motul 7100 today. I made the choice after reading a lot and talking to quite a few people about thier experiences with Motul. The choice is the right one for me, I don't think there will be any negatives, and I'll live with any consequences. I did use 10/40

2015 CTX DCT, runs smoother, shifts smoother (hard to believe but it does...and it is noticeable), and it seems to pull harder.

·
Premium Member
1966 C200 / 1966 S65 / 1979 CB750K / 1982 CT110 / 2016 CSC RX3 / 2018 CSC TT250
88 Posts
It would be great if the forum had a "how to" reference video library. It took several videos for me to piece together the correct fairing removal procedure.
I will probably try the Motul thing next oil change; Depending on your review/feed back. Thanks for being our guinea pig.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be great if the forum had a "how to" reference video library. It took several videos for me to piece together the correct fairing removal procedure.
I will probably try the Motul thing next oil change; Depending on your review/feed back. Thanks for being our guinea pig.
I agree with the reference library. Most of us have the manual but for me seeing the practical application of the steps cannot be beat.

The noted changes were not part of a placebo effect. My wife was out shopping (...like I even needed to qualify that...where else would she be?) and had no idea that I had changed the oil. She thought I had only washed it up. I asked her to take a quick spin after I already had. She reported that it was quieter and that the shifts were much smoother. Obviously not scientific. Anyhow, I am pretty confident it was the right choice for this machine down here in SW Florida.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Motul is the sh!t. Never thought I would say that for any oil till I tried it. 100% synthetic / ester based. No dinosaurs here.

Reactions: mzflorida

·
Registered
2 Posts
All synthetic oil is made from crude oil from what I heard on the Motul video and other places. So, I don't get the "No Dinosaurs."

·
Registered
29 Posts
All synthetic oil is made from crude oil from what I heard on the Motul video and other places. So, I don't get the "No Dinosaurs."
yep, from car and driver magazine: "Synthetic oil is a man-made lubricant that consists of artificially made chemical compounds. Synthetic oils are typically created from chemically modified materials such as petroleum components, but the base material is almost always distilled crude oil. "

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
MOTUL 7100 AND 300V are NOT crude oil based. The end? LOL

·
Super Moderator
3,240 Posts
First, I have an apology or two. I needed to change the oil, DCT filter, etc., on the CTX and I volunteered to record the process it for a new member. I am very sorry, but I forgot to record the process. Next time for sure. I still need to do the VFR and I'll record that. The process is about the same except for the right lower shroud removal. The other apology is for this appearing to be an oil thread. It is not intended as such.

Changed to Motul 7100 today. I made the choice after reading a lot and talking to quite a few people about thier experiences with Motul. The choice is the right one for me, I don't think there will be any negatives, and I'll live with any consequences. I did use 10/40

2015 CTX DCT, runs smoother, shifts smoother (hard to believe but it does...and it is noticeable), and it seems to pull harder.
Thanks ever so much for the recommend. I just finished my changeover to Motul 7100 (10W/40 as well) and had similar results to yours even though mine is a manual 6-Speed. The rather pronounced, Harley like thump when putting it in 1st from neutral and when moving from 1st to 2nd are both a thing of the past. Downshifting is also much smoother & more quiet. Worth every penny!! :love:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ever so much for the recommend. I just finished my changeover to Motul 7100 (10W/40 as well) and had similar results to yours even though mine is a manual 6-Speed. The rather pronounced, Harley like thump when putting it in 1st from neutral and when moving from 1st to 2nd are both a thing of the past. Downshifting is also much smoother & more quiet. Worth every penny!! :love:
Really glad to hear it. We may take a ride over to Lake O or down to the Everglades. It will be about 200 miles or so round trip. If there is anything notable I'll report back.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
We went out for about 150 miles yesterday. I asked my wife to compare the performance of the bike to what she remembers. She said that for sure the bike is quieter. Prior to Motul she would occasionally notice the shifts and look at the gear indicator. The overt indicators of a shift had become almost unnoticed. She is unsure, but she said that she believes that acceleration feels better. Where she noticed that especially was coming out of turns. Anyhow, entirely unscientific. My wife is the furthest thing from a gearhead you can imagine for whatever that is worth. Anyhow, no performance issues and seems to perform better. Unquestionable science that motul protects better than mineral. So I'd call this a win.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts