CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had to give this one a lot of thought to narrow it down to one thing.... and the winner is.... those who continue to tell me I shouldn't ride a motorcycle because it is, "too dangerous."

-Mark-
I was one of those people stopped ridding in 2003 after a boat load of health issues I decided since I am going to die one day and the method and location i don't have much control over but I can have some fun before it arrives.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My biggest woe is my own anxiety about what the cagers will do. Will that left turner just turn out in front of me? Will the guy behind me stop?

Funny thing is, I don't remember ever being so worried when I was a youth, but the traffic is now much greater. Around here (Long Island) most people think you're nuts for having a bike. Literally every day there is another story about a motorcycle death. There was one today. The biker ran a red light. Where I ride there are roadside memorials of flowers and stuff where sportbikers have hit a tree.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had to give this one a lot of thought to narrow it down to one thing.... and the winner is.... those who continue to tell me I shouldn't ride a motorcycle because it is, "too dangerous."

-Mark-
Yes it is dangerous but that won't stop most of us thankfully. Just wait till you have a minor mishap with no injuries or damage and all the do-gooders will be in your ear. You should quite riding today or even yesterday to avoid becoming road kill they will say. Yup, but ask them if they would quite driving their car after a minor mishap. We all know that answer.

My 1st wife hated my bike. She and her mother decided I would soon be running with a bad crowdand doing all sorts of nasty things.. Oddly enough it was okay when her brother bought a mini bike for his kids.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had two scary close call events today, both of the same kind and only about three minutes apart. I was pulling out of a dead end street, turning right after full stop. It was blind to the left about 150 feet or so due to bend in road and lots of trees. I started to pull out and zoom came a speeding car from around that bend. This was out in the country. I grabbed the brakes when I saw him in peripheral vision and stopped in time. Just a few minutes later when I stopped at the end of that road, preparing to turn left on to the two lane highway. Again a bit blind to the left but further out, maybe 250 feet. I looked left then right and started to pull out turning left and a two cars appeared from the left going fast. I locked the brakes in time.

So, my current worst fear or most hated situation is blind road intersections. They can be killers.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Dodging potholes. A took a ride through Loc Raven reservoir on my day off this week. It is a beautiful and scenic ride through woods with lots of sharp twists and turns. Unfortunately, there were thousands of pot holes in the road (some 6 to 10 inches deep) so between the shadows from the trees and the potholes I had to go super slow and watch the road just ahead of my tires instead of enjoying the ride. The beltway on my side of town is also so bad that I won't even ride on it until they finish repaving it.
The C does not do well on rough roads for sure, my highways and neighborhood road all have stuff that provide a frequent nut check. frequent enough i've put a new bike high on my list.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Tailgating or otherwise drivers who are oblivious to what safe following distance and how to maintain it. 50 feet or less of the back of the vehicle in front of you is not going to end in any other way than an MVA if a crash occurs.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
auto-off turn signal

Good question!

I am troubled by inattentive 4 wheel drivers.

Wish I had an auto-off turn signal.

Wish the overflows had a better retainer.

OEM windscreen is a must!
Take a look at https://www.safer-turn.com/

I will be installing this in a week or two.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Winter

·
Registered
238 Posts
Chip seal. This week they chip sealed the road outside of work and they are systematically doing a lot of the roads around there too.

I'm not too thrilled with winter either, but I never actually put the bike up for the winter. Around mid to late November I start putting Stabil in the gas and using the Battery Tender. Every decent day without snow on the roads I try to take the opportunity to ride.

Reactions: 350Four

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Brace yourself Reb, my trike has more than the usual chrome trimming! :D
When you have chrome handlebars, risers, triple, gauges and old school headlight riding at mid day or if the sun is behind you, your own bike will blind you!

I'm not worried about others, however car wind shields, rear shields and other body panels can be quite blinding at times for a short time too.

·
Super Moderator
3,072 Posts
When you have chrome handlebars, risers, triple, gauges and old school headlight riding at mid day or if the sun is behind you, your own bike will blind you!

I'm not worried about others, however car wind shields, rear shields and other body panels can be quite blinding at times for a short time too.
Nah, my chrome trim is subtle and will only blind those around me.>:)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts