CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been looking at all the offerings available now or coming soon.
Helite, Hit-Air, Klim, A-Star, are the name brands. There are some no-name options available but I'm not considering them.

The Helite Turtle2 at $679 seems a bit over priced when compared to the Hit-Air MLV-YC at $488 which looks comparable.
A-Star is completely out of my price range. Altho the soon to be available Tech-air-5 under vest competes in the $700ish price range.
The new Klim under vest is reportedly only $400, but then there is $300 additional purchase or a $120 a year lease for the sensors & brain,

Im leaning towards one of the tethered options like Helite or Hit-Air.
The tether seams low tech and fool proof. No batteries to worry about. No subscriptions. Repack-able.
I figure if I have the tether coming up between the tank and the seat, rite there in front it will be easy to clip and unclip.

Any thoughts or experience?

·
Super Moderator
3,198 Posts
Been looking at all the offerings available now or coming soon.
Helite, Hit-Air, Klim, A-Star, are the name brands. There are some no-name options available but I'm not considering them.

The Helite Turtle2 at $679 seems a bit over priced when compared to the Hit-Air MLV-YC at $488 which looks comparable.
A-Star is completely out of my price range. Altho the soon to be available Tech-air-5 under vest competes in the $700ish price range.
The new Klim under vest is reportedly only $400, but then there is $300 additional purchase or a $120 a year lease for the sensors & brain,

Im leaning towards one of the tethered options like Helite or Hit-Air.
The tether seams low tech and fool proof. No batteries to worry about. No subscriptions. Repack-able.
I figure if I have the tether coming up between the tank and the seat, rite there in front it will be easy to clip and unclip.

Any thoughts or experience?
I agree about the tether.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have the Helite 2. The tether is difficult to release with gloves on for me. Not a big deal.

Reactions: Ira and Ruby

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd hold off buying for a little while.

The tethered jackets come in at around 600-700 these days. This season Dainese is going to release a vest that can fit over/under existing jackets for 700. I think Alpinestars as well. You're getting much better protection for nearly the same dollars.
From what I've gathered, electronically actuated jackets are really fast in triggering and can protect you from the primary impact; while the tethered jackets are too slow for that, those only mitigate secondary impact - if you get off your bike (and trigger the tether) at all..
I also have an airbag jacket. I have the Dainese Cyclone D-air which has an electronically actuated airbag. The battery is a non issue because it lasts a while. There is no subscription monthly to pay. In the 3+ years I've had it, it never deployed erroneously despite some nasty potholes.

Dainese/Alpinestars are quite close in performance, as are most tethered choices.

See video of german ADAC testing:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd hold off buying for a little while.

The tethered jackets come in at around 600-700 these days. This season Dainese is going to release a vest that can fit over/under existing jackets for 700. I think Alpinestars as well. You're getting much better protection for nearly the same dollars.
From what I've gathered, electronically actuated jackets are really fast in triggering and can protect you from the primary impact; while the tethered jackets are too slow for that, those only mitigate secondary impact - if you get off your bike (and trigger the tether) at all..
I also have an airbag jacket. I have the Dainese Cyclone D-air which has an electronically actuated airbag. The battery is a non issue because it lasts a while. There is no subscription monthly to pay. In the 3+ years I've had it, it never deployed erroneously despite some nasty potholes.

Dainese/Alpinestars are quite close in performance, as are most tethered choices.

See video of german ADAC testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgGh1opYMh0
I think waiting is an excellent idea.
Lots of good technology and lower prices rite around the corner.
Im just going to go ahead and get one of the Hit-Air vests to ride with while I wait.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think waiting is an excellent idea.
Lots of good technology and lower prices rite around the corner.
Im just going to go ahead and get one of the Hit-Air vests to ride with while I wait.
I'm not overly fond of the tethered choices. For the same amount of money that gets you a Hit-Air vest you can get a Dainese Smart Jacket which I think is a lot better. And from what I can see, the technology is mature enough for the market already.
Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 is available for preorders, so I guess it releases this spring season.

All I'm saying is if you're ready to separate with that amount of money, might as well go ahead and get an electronically actuated vest right now. Those are much better for protection.
Cheers!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did that thing work in the video. It look liked the dummy was hit hard.?
Yup, the electronically actuated vest inflated right about when the front tire is starting to get bent backwards and before the torso hit the car. Speed in the test was 50 km/h (=30mph).
Motorcycle crashes are pretty gnarly so it's a hard hit anyways....

·
Registered
319 Posts
IMHO the most important bones are cervical bones-you can get neck brace of about $25 from aerostitch.com-comfy sorta like an airline neck pillow but less bulky fits easily under my Shoei and doesn't limit turning my head.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I purchased the Hit-Air airbag vest. On paper it fits me. What I failed to take into account is that its going over my existing riding jacket. My 3 layer riding jacket that comes with an insulated liner and a waterproof cover. When I tried it on it was too small for the bulk of me and the bulk of the jacket.
So I sent it back.
The Hit-Air was a tethered vest which I sort of preferred.
But now Im looking at the soon to be released Alpine star Tech Air 5.
A vest designed to be worn under the jacket.
has an integrated back protector, so I would remove the back protector from my jacket.
The coverage and protection looks to be the best of all of them
3 different sensors and a brain decide when you are in a crash and when to inflate. so no teather.
also no subscription.
Price is in the same ballpark as the Helite.
but would need to keep the battery charged.
Still pondering
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mechanical systems are more worry free in the long run. I would hate to have to worry whether batteries or electronics have failed me in an altercation.

·
Super Moderator
3,198 Posts
I purchased the Hit-Air airbag vest. On paper it fits me. What I failed to take into account is that its going over my existing riding jacket. My 3 layer riding jacket that comes with an insulated liner and a waterproof cover. When I tried it on it was too small for the bulk of me and the bulk of the jacket.
So I sent it back.
has an integrated back protector, so I would remove the back protector from my jacket.
3 different sensors and a brain decide when you are in a crash and when to inflate. so no teather.
also no subscription.
Still pondering
Any thoughts?
I now have a Helite Turtle 2 XXL which is kinda hefty, but roomy and tethered. I prefer the mechanical trigger inasmuch as I've been writing software for decades and avoid depending upon it for my life!!:confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I now have a Helite Turtle 2 XXL which is kinda hefty, but roomy and tethered. I prefer the mechanical trigger inasmuch as I've been writing software for decades and avoid depending upon it for my life!!:confused:
Ha Ha, Yep me too.
that is the single most convincing argument I have heard to go the low tech route.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
So I sent it back.
also no subscription.
Still pondering
Any thoughts?
I am looking for Hit-Air too. Was your size large and still too small? Hi-Air has less sizes than other brands, but the difference between sizes seems to be bigger than usually, so I wonder if the largest size is still too small. My metric dimensions with jacket are 115, 100, 105 cm, converted 45, 39, 41 inches.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I had considered an inflatable suit, but the heat of wearing it in an already hot climate, is like wearing a sauna suit. Plus being tethered to the bike, I am likely to forget and walk away and.... (OK I'm Blonde.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts