CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like that an ABS modulator made by Nissin is the culprit behind the recall notice that some have seen with respect to the CTX700 D models. It looks like that Honda had very little within their ability to prevent this problem, as many other MC manufacturers may soon be headed for the same fate who are using this same modulator. However, because of the way our recall system is set up, the OEMs are still liable and responsible.

Nissin ABS Modulator Recall Affects Honda CTX700, Suzuki Hayabusa, Kawasaki Ninja 250R and Possibly More » Motorcycle.com News

Funny thing about recalls. The public and the media put a very negative spin on them, but really, recalls are a good thing. Recalls show that the system is working at preventing or stopping unsafe components on vehicles no matter how or who is to blame for the defective or poorly-assembled components.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I agree. Shame of Nissin

Quality control is not what it used to be in manufacturing. Consumers get to do most of that now. I wonder if it was Honda or a consumer who found the problem first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ABS recall estimated time to repair

My wife took her CTX700NDE in for the ABS recall. The factory quoted 3 hours. We made an appointment for noon with expectation of picking up after 3 PM. It was ready at 2 PM...the following day. The bike is so new that the factory estimate of 3 hours doesn't stand up to a shop with no experience on the bike. The bleeding of the lines turned out to be the underestimated part of the time. Suffice to say, the service department took a profitability hit. My wife put 670 miles on the bike in the first week before the recall was applied. Still running great. Needs a windshield for extended freeway runs over 55 MPH. Our normal posted speed limit is 75 MPH.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a Google alert yesterday evening. Official recall, including the manufacture dates (March 6-April 11) just came out on the wire yesterday with the actual recall notice occurring on the same day (July 24, 2013) for certain model CTX700s. Consumers will start being contacted July 30. Of course this recall applies only to the "D" models, because it is specific to the ABS systems.

Honda is Recalling Certain Model Year 2014 CTX700 Motorcycles |

·
Registered
6 Posts
I called Honda customer service Today gave them my vin # ( 700dct )
I was concerned as my label says 4/13 date of production
Well I was assured my bike was NOT affected !
as the batch of bad abs modulators went
on a small run of 700n models only

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe that all bikes being sold now should be worry free. I am convinced Honda delayed the shipping of the CTX700nd to fix them. My bike was 3 weeks late getting to the dealer, but the dealer never said why. I do not think the dealers where aware of the delay.
Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The bleeding of the lines turned out to be the underestimated part of the time. Suffice to say, the service department took a profitability hit.
The Brembo brakes on my Laverda had the same problem. A pig to bleed unless you remove the caliper and keep the bleed nipple vertical. I also installed Russell easy-bleed nipples which are worth their weight in gold. After that, easy-peasy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Correct name is Russell Speed-bleeders, (couldn't edit fast enough...not easy-bleed) if you want to google it. Beauty is you can do the job yourself without the need for an assistant. A friend has a technique where he pumps from the caliper up to the reservoir in one easy operation. Takes him no time at all to do the whole job, but the paintwork has to be well covered in case of spills. Keep meaning to follow up on his method, but the Russell bleeders make it so easy, there's no real need.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
yep, nothing ruins your day more than brake fluid dripping off the master cylinder ( mounted on the handlebars) onto a very pristine gas tank or black frame. Nasty stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received a letter to have my bike recalled. I took in in yesterday to have the break-in oil changed and received the recall letter in the mail yesterday evening. I left my bike with the dealer so they can go ahead and fix the problem since my bike is already there being serviced. Hope to have it back soon, ready to ride some more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Got the letter from Honda about the recall about two weeks ago. Called the dealer to set up service. They said they'd have to order the part and call me back. Week goes by, I follow up with a call. Still not in, serviceman says Honda is telling them 5 - 6 weeks due to backlog (many makes and models affected).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Got my recall done on Thursday, it took about three days to get the parts in. When I got the bike back, the brake lever had MUCH more play in it than before the work was done. I turned around after riding a few blocks, and took it back in. They bled the brakes a few times to get any air out, and that did the trick.

Good as new!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Got the letter from Honda about the recall about two weeks ago. Called the dealer to set up service. They said they'd have to order the part and call me back. Week goes by, I follow up with a call. Still not in, serviceman says Honda is telling them 5 - 6 weeks due to backlog (many makes and models affected).

curious, do they tell you not to ride it until fixed. can you electrically unhook it (pull the fuse) and things work ok till fixed?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Didn't say not to ride, offered no advice. Seemed unconcerned. I was going to have recall work done and have them do the first service (to support the local dealer), but now will do my own service.

Parts department could not locate listing for bike, asked if I had filter parts number or manual. I said look under NC700X, you should have that information in your computer. "Yep, oil filter is common one."
What about the transmission filter? "What, never heard of one, are you sure?" Parts guy searches for several minutes, turns the computer toward me and starts showing schematics. After several tries, finally locates the filter. "Well, I'll be."

May be the easiest Honda dealer for me to get to, but I may end up trying a different one to see if they actually know about the products they sell:mad:.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, tell me about it. About a month ago I was in the dealership and one of the salesman didn't even know that a faired version was coming. Talk about clueless... I'd had money on it since March...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep, don't think I've ever been in a dealership - car or cycle - where I didn't know more than the salesman. I would have at least expected the parts/service department to have more knowledge.:confused:

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
It's always best to know as much or more than the dealer. Forums help and online parts listing (put on this forum months ago) are easy for you to get the part numbers so you can go in with a list of what you need. Then they will respect you more cause you don't cause them more work ... lazy parts employee comes to mind.

look up Honda Parts Nation and use their 2014 Honda and you will find schematic breakdowns of parts on all the CTX models.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, 5 to 6 weeks of back order turned into 2 or 3 days. Dealership called and said had parts for recall. I took it in today at about 9:15 AM. Service dept. said 1.5-2.0 hrs for work. A friend picked me up, ran some errands, had lunch, back to the dealership at about 12:30. Not finished yet. Waited an hour, mechanic say can't get modulator to activate - defective unit, have to swap for another. Another 3 hours. So, dropped off at 9:15, left at about 4:30PM. Got to look at every new Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki on the showroom floor - still like the CTX700N I have better than all!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Murphy's law got you good. Should have told them I want to test drive some bikes while I'm waiting for the ABS to be fixed just in case I find something I like you can keep it. That would have helped speed them up maybe.

I do imagine you feel safer now that that is fixed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Long day for sure. But as I told the service rep - I want it right more than I want it quick. I mainly bought the DCT to get the anti-lock brakes and want them working properly. Definitely feel safer now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts