CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I've spent hours researching modular helmets. It's time to replace my older GMAX 27S 3/4 jet fighter helmet which has served me well but is starting to show it's age i.e. looser fit (no replacement pads available, I broke some plastic screws when dismantling it to clean all the bits, some cracking of the soft plastic neck collar etc.

I've always been intrigued by the flip UP modular helmets ... more specifically the 180* FLIP OVER helmets. I've eliminate all of the flip UP only helmets due to fit, price, functionality/features or country availability.

This included the Schuberth C4 Pro, Shoei Neotec II, AGV Sportmodular and X-Lite X1005 simply based on price, the Nolan N100-5 and Bell SRT based on them only being a flip UP vs. a FLIP OVER, the HJC RPHA 90S based on fit and the Scorpion EXO Tech and ROOF R09 based on them not being available in Canada (or North America I believe) even though they are FLIP OVER units.

I will not buy a helmet on-line that I can't try on first. To expensive to return and too much hassle in my opinion. That leaves me with the LS2 Valiant II or the recently launched/ES updated SHARK EVO GT as my only choices and the new Shark is still very rare here in Canada and no where to try one on for fit.

I like the improvements I've read and seen in the reviews that have been made to the LS2 Valiant II helmet over it's predecessor the original Valiant. I tried one on and it seems to fit me well from all the size, head shape etc. criteria albeit it feels a bit weird never having worn a modular or full face before. I guess I'll get used to the chipmunk cheeks pressure and tighter feel. That could be because it was brand new too as my is beyond being well broken in.

My question is: does anybody have any heads on experience with either of these two helmets (the newer LS2 Valiant II or the SHARK EVO GT) and what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I apologize for not answering your question, @Nela Skul, but I want to just mention something quick but, IMHO, important.

I suggest you avoid any modular offering from GMAX. My first-ever modular helmet was a GMAX, and the components that locked the chin bar down failed without warning after about 3 years. I discovered the failure one day when I turned my head quickly and accidentally bumped the chin bar with the hard armor in the shoulder of my riding jacket.

I thank God I didn't find out about the failure during an accident.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I don’t really see an advantages with the 180 flip.
Been using a modular for years. On my third one now. Last spring I had to replace my Hawk modular. Hit the larger shops and tried the Neotec2. Wow loved it but the price tag was a bit much. I settled on one that was 1/3 the price.
Modular or not, I always use plugs when riding as no helmet is “quiet”
Pierre

PS Daytona Glide modular in Red Wine which is a kind of close match to the Honda Red .

·
Registered
808 Posts
+1 Modular and earplugs added.
Sorry, no experience with the expensive models.
Whatever you choose, I wouldn't trust a helmet without ECE or SNELL certificates. DOT rules allow manufacturer to test for themselves and put the sticker on. I've also seen stickers for sale on Ebay (rarely). The DOT rules are fine and helmets that meet all of them should be good, but I have a problem with who checked them.

Sidicci Systema was not mentioned. They are ECE certified and mine's been great for four years now. They also have a model 2 now and I think maybe model 2 has pin-lock visors. (Pin-lock visor owners say they never worry about any fogging, I just use shaving cream once a month.)
Check if you can get those where you are and give them a look.
They only flip up, not over, however they hold well in the up position and are high enough to give the guards a good look at my face. I can drink coffee while riding in the city, but really I don't go more than half a block with it up. When down, the locking mechanism is metal, solid, and the release is reliable and one handed.

Good luck.

See you on the road, shiny side up!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
IIRC from my search a little over a year ago, the head shape between the LS2 and the Shark are completely different even though they are classified as the same head shape. I tried on both because they supposedly fit my head shape, no dice for either. I ended up with the Neotec II because it was the most comfortable despite the price tag.

I would suggest comparing the ones you are interested in vs what fits your head now over on lidpicker.com .... It really helped me to narrow down my search for ones that were available in my area to try on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Recently, I've spent hours researching modular helmets. It's time to replace my older GMAX 27S 3/4 jet fighter helmet which has served me well but is starting to show it's age i.e. looser fit (no replacement pads available, I broke some plastic screws when dismantling it to clean all the bits, some cracking of the soft plastic neck collar etc.

I've always been intrigued by the flip UP modular helmets ... more specifically the 180* FLIP OVER helmets. I've eliminate all of the flip UP only helmets due to fit, price, functionality/features or country availability.

This included the Schuberth C4 Pro, Shoei Neotec II, AGV Sportmodular and X-Lite X1005 simply based on price, the Nolan N100-5 and Bell SRT based on them only being a flip UP vs. a FLIP OVER, the HJC RPHA 90S based on fit and the Scorpion EXO Tech and ROOF R09 based on them not being available in Canada (or North America I believe) even though they are FLIP OVER units.

I will not buy a helmet on-line that I can't try on first. To expensive to return and too much hassle in my opinion. That leaves me with the LS2 Valiant II or the recently launched/ES updated SHARK EVO GT as my only choices and the new Shark is still very rare here in Canada and no where to try one on for fit.

I like the improvements I've read and seen in the reviews that have been made to the LS2 Valiant II helmet over it's predecessor the original Valiant. I tried one on and it seems to fit me well from all the size, head shape etc. criteria albeit it feels a bit weird never having worn a modular or full face before. I guess I'll get used to the chipmunk cheeks pressure and tighter feel. That could be because it was brand new too as my is beyond being well broken in.

My question is: does anybody have any heads on experience with either of these two helmets (the newer LS2 Valiant II or the SHARK EVO GT) and what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Hi, Here is a useful link to SHARP, a UK organization that tests helmets, including modular/flip-up (referred to as “system” helmets on the site).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... snipped ... check out these videos from Fort Nine on modulars, and you may want to see what links you can get connected to. Specific comments on the LS2. hope this helps.
It did help thanks VM. I love Ryan FN and did check out his video which is a little dated now being 4 seasons old. I wrote to him asking to update it as most of the mainstream modular helmets have introduced their new generation lids.

... snipped ... I don’t really see an advantages with the 180 flip. ... Hit the larger shops and tried the Neotec2. Wow loved it but the price tag was a bit much. Modular or not, I always use plugs when riding as no helmet is “quiet” Pierre
For me, the benefits of flip over helmets creating less far less wind resistance in the "over" position vs. the "up" position is a plus when riding slower speeds around town etc. Plus the LS2 is dual homologation P/J rated which most flip UPS are not. I too would love the Neotec II but like you, can't get my head around the price ... literally and figuratively. I just started using ear plugs and they do make a huge difference although I notice it is much harder to hear ambient sounds around me ... even when just standing in a parking lot with the helmet on.

... snipped ... whatever you choose, I wouldn't trust a helmet without ECE or SNELL certificates. The DOT rules are fine and helmets that meet all of them should be good, but I have a problem with who checked them.

Sidicci Systema was not mentioned. Check if you can get those where you are and give them a look.
SNELL do not test or rate any modular helmets. The best you'll find is a double DOT and ECE certification. The odd modular helmet will be SHARP tested (see Richard's link below) like the Nolan N100-5 which scored very well for the chin bar piece.

Sedici Sistema helmets are not available in Canada ... at least not that I can find. This is not unusual as we do not get access to all of the helmets available in the USA or the EU. I guess our market is simply too small.

... snipped ... IIRC ... the head shape between the LS2 and the Shark are completely different even though they are classified as the same head shape. I tried on both because they supposedly fit my head shape, no dice for either. I ended up with the Neotec II because it was the most comfortable despite the price tag.

I would suggest comparing the ones you are interested in vs what fits your head now over on lidpicker.com .... It really helped me to narrow down my search for ones that were available in my area to try on.
Do you recall how the LS2 and the SHARK differed? i.e. were they more long oval or more round etc? The LS2 seems to fit my head shape very well. The new SHARK EVO GT is still scarce here in Canada and I have not been able to try that one on. The Neotec II is a great lid but sadly, well beyond my budget.

Hi, Here is a useful link to SHARP, a UK organization that tests helmets, including modular/flip-up (referred to as “system” helmets on the site).
Thanks richard ... I found this interesting site in my research. I like the way they present their test data.

All, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, experiences and tips. I certainly will not buy a new lid without first trying and keeping it on for at least 30 minutes. My current 3/4 jet face GMAX 27S would likely be classed as a budget helmet. I now want to step up to the middle tier now. Top tier helmets like Schuberths, AGVs, SHOEIs etc. are out of range money-wise for me. They also don't fit my flip "over" criterion which I'm pretty focused on right now.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I can comment that the quality of LS2 products is surprisingly good. If you use comms, your options may be very limited to LS2 branded options. I do own one of their modulars and was very happy with it. Again, much better than one would expect at the price point.

·
Registered
2016 CTX700N
4 Posts
Sorry to be late to the party. I can speak for the LS2 Valliant. I currently own the original and was looking forward to the improvements made in the second series. IMO, The nice part of the 180 degree flip is the substantial amount of air you get, especially at low speed and in traffic. As a commuter I relish this in the hotter months. It acts as a Jet helmet, so not quite 3/4 but also no chin to close you off. It also has minimal turbulence in comparison to the chin up design of say the RPHA 90. These I feel were designed for convenience at stops for sipping on water or talking with friends. However, It most definitely does have it’s drawbacks. #1 Noise. If I’m taking a long trip, I switch to my full face, no question. #2 Moisture. The original was not equipped with a pinlock from the factory and although I bought a mirrored visor through the aftermarket, getting the insert was a pain. The gaskets and seals also allow in a measurable amount of water so I wouldn’t make this part of my rain gear. #3 Style. The overall shell shape is very round. I feel like I look like a RoboCop bobble head every time I put it on. I would give my overall opinion on the lid a solid 4 out of 5.
As for the Shark, the LS2 was less expensive so I never got to try it. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Nela Skul

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I do not remember for sure but I think the shark was a touch more round than the LS2. The LS2 fit better for my head but still had uncomfortable pressure points after a few minutes. The Neotec II completely got rid of all pressure points and I can wear it all day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife uses the new shark evo w/ aftermarket sena comms. Sometimes she has trouble getting the flip up part to come down but you need to have the shield up first. She likes it and makes her feel less claustrophobic being able to open it up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It did help thanks VM. I love Ryan FN and did check out his video which is a little dated now being 4 seasons old. I wrote to him asking to update it as most of the mainstream modular helmets have introduced their new generation lids.

For me, the benefits of flip over helmets creating less far less wind resistance in the "over" position vs. the "up" position is a plus when riding slower speeds around town etc. Plus the LS2 is dual homologation P/J rated which most flip UPS are not. I too would love the Neotec II but like you, can't get my head around the price ... literally and figuratively. I just started using ear plugs and they do make a huge difference although I notice it is much harder to hear ambient sounds around me ... even when just standing in a parking lot with the helmet on.

SNELL do not test or rate any modular helmets. The best you'll find is a double DOT and ECE certification. The odd modular helmet will be SHARP tested (see Richard's link below) like the Nolan N100-5 which scored very well for the chin bar piece.

Sedici Sistema helmets are not available in Canada ... at least not that I can find. This is not unusual as we do not get access to all of the helmets available in the USA or the EU. I guess our market is simply too small.

Do you recall how the LS2 and the SHARK differed? i.e. were they more long oval or more round etc? The LS2 seems to fit my head shape very well. The new SHARK EVO GT is still scarce here in Canada and I have not been able to try that one on. The Neotec II is a great lid but sadly, well beyond my budget.

Thanks richard ... I found this interesting site in my research. I like the way they present their test data.

All, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, experiences and tips. I certainly will not buy a new lid without first trying and keeping it on for at least 30 minutes. My current 3/4 jet face GMAX 27S would likely be classed as a budget helmet. I now want to step up to the middle tier now. Top tier helmets like Schuberths, AGVs, SHOEIs etc. are out of range money-wise for me. They also don't fit my flip "over" criterion which I'm pretty focused on right now.

Thanks again!
I use the Nolan N43e - I've had it for about three years and really like it-don't know which model is comparable now, however.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It doesn’t answer your question, but I’m a Bell 500 Custom guy...i do a 2xl for winter and an xl for the rest of the year...I use different shields depending upon where my ride takes me...and since they run $99-$150, I replace them every 3 yrs...

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a HJC I 90 and I like it. Easy on and off and guard is easy to flip up or down.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Have the LS2. As mentioned, bit noisy, but most full face are. No problem with my Sena comm since I use the HD speakers. Volume can be set to automatically go up and down with speed. I generally ride with it pulled back and use the chin/full face protector when cold or rainy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE: I purchased the LS2 Valiant II - Orbit Jeans model this past weekend after wearing it in the store's exit foyer (no entry COVID rules in place) for almost an hour. It felt fine with no hotspots save for the chipmunk cheeks and some slight pressure on my ears. I'm hoping the standard pad break-in period will deal with those two issues.

I'll post a separate thread to review my experience with this helmet after I have sufficient on-the-road time and kilometers under the helmet. Thanks all for your useful input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts