CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are most people planning to ride their CTX stock or are you planning to mod your ride? Are there even any aftermarket pieces available yet?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm going to keep it stock or close to it. I just need to make it work for a daily commute which is mostly moderate-speed highway, and I like to ride most days in three seasons and a day or two per week even in the winter when the temps aren't too brutal. If a good quality helmet and riding gear keeps me comfortable enough from the front, then I won't even bother with a larger screen. In the winter, I'll have to get some heated grips, but I've read where there are some cheap options for that which work well. I've already got a fantastic winter suit, and I can layer under it for even more protection.

I will have to get some sort of luggage; either soft or a case and rack, but nothing fancy for me. Just something that does the job and can be removed easily. Someone mentioned Bestem top cases on another thread. I looked at them. Very reasonable, big, and lockable; removable; good reviews. Perfect! but I'll have to wait on an after-market rack. Honda's rack is nearly $300 from what I've heard. May get soft luggage in the meantime.

I'm not touching the pipes or anything to do with performance or to change the styling or looks. I'll treat it like a transportation tool that uses little fuel and provides a fun commute as a bonus.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Might add some LED light & ground effects. I feel like that would help with dusk/night visibility and I love a lighted bike. Other wise, some saddle bags in the future.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm going to keep it stock or close to it. I just need to make it work for a daily commute which is mostly moderate-speed highway, and I like to ride most days in three seasons and a day or two per week even in the winter when the temps aren't too brutal. If a good quality helmet and riding gear keeps me comfortable enough from the front, then I won't even bother with a larger screen. In the winter, I'll have to get some heated grips, but I've read where there are some cheap options for that which work well. I've already got a fantastic winter suit, and I can layer under it for even more protection.

I will have to get some sort of luggage; either soft or a case and rack, but nothing fancy for me. Just something that does the job and can be removed easily. Someone mentioned Bestem top cases on another thread. I looked at them. Very reasonable, big, and lockable; removable; good reviews. Perfect! but I'll have to wait on an after-market rack. Honda's rack is nearly $300 from what I've heard. May get soft luggage in the meantime.

I'm not touching the pipes or anything to do with performance or to change the styling or looks. I'll treat it like a transportation tool that uses little fuel and provides a fun commute as a bonus.
This is my same thought process when it comes to buying new anything whether it is cars, bikes, etc. I usually take great pains to keep it as pristine as possible. I would probably do a clear coat to protect the paint.

But after a year or two my modding twitch starts to kick in. By then there will probably be a lot of aftermarket options for riders to choose from.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Hopeing that within a year someone figures out if any of the aftermarket bags will work. I think it will mostly come down to the supports & mounts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hopeing that within a year someone figures out if any of the aftermarket bags will work. I think it will mostly come down to the supports & mounts.
thats true, well , if there is demand we can attempt at getting a vendor to do a group buy and they do all the R&D. in the end we have a CTX700 specific product

·
Registered
975 Posts
I looked at one in person today, and I wasn't surprised by much. I guess because I've been studying the pictures so much, but I was a little surprised by the flimsiness of the storage/gas cap cover and the cubby cover. The cubby cover was very, very flimsy plastic on very flimsy hinges. Maybe this is normal for motorcycles. My scooter has much more sturdy feeling parts in these areas.

I was a little pleasantly surprised with the width of the seat, even for the pillion.

With regards to adding bags, I was very surprised to see that there are four tie-down hooks included on this bike in all four corners of the rear area behind the primary rider's seat. Should be easy to make lots of soft luggage and/or bags work.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I felt the same way about the hinges Greg! Sure hope they hold up over the long haul.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm still a month or more away from seeing one in the flesh, but think a small box in the fairing would have held the same amount of stuff. Fine on the other model where it takes a helmet, but a flush filler and a bit more juice would help make this one a mile eater. My preference is for a tank bag, as it centralises the weight distribution, but that's virtually impossible with this arrangement. I guess 200 miles is adaquate range on todays roads and another few litres only raises the CG ,so I accept the compromise. With luck that outer hinged cover is more robust than it looks.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I know that I will prefer the gas filler in front of the seat rather than under the seat. It is a real pain to have to unload everything to fill the tank on my scooter. I don't use the underseat storage except to keep my accessory outlet, extra bungee cords, fuel stabilizer, and tool kit. I use a small cargo net and backpack to secure everything else.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I looked more closely at the cubby and hinges on Sat. The hinges themselves are metal and the fluted design does give strength to them. I have seen other hnges like them. It will be a matter of the quality of attachment to either end. The lid stay is webbing and easily replaced with something from a good fabric store. The lid and latches are the flimsiest parts. Won't be able to just rip it open. Some care will be needed to protect the finish as they are painted parts. It will be up to the early adopters to find out what is durable and what isn't.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I am going to add Vololights to the back. They will increase visibiliy and safety.

Reactions: Nikodeemus
1 - 12 of 12 Posts