CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to get a demo ride from the local Honda dealer today.
As I said in the title I really liked the bike.
I have just gotten rid of my Victory Cross Country Tour. Decided it was just too big for the riding I was doing.
I loved the BMW R1200RT I had previously but the peg position causes me to get numb feet. Not good.
Was considering forgetting about motorcycles (I'm 76) but saw the CTX in the bike magazines and thought perhaps this is the way to go for a few more years.

The bike they are using for demos has the DCT setup, which I am not interested in but beggars can't be choosy.

My biggest concern was the amount of power available. I have had bikes ranging from about 67 hp to 110.
I rode my wife's Kawasaki Vulcan 900 to the dealership to get a good comparison. It weighs about 100 pounds more and has about the same hp.

From the getgo, even with the bike in the "auto" mode I was impressed. Plenty of getup and go. Putting it in the Sport mode was even better. Then I used the Manual mode to see how it really ran.
Using the paddle shifter was not a big issue. Not having a clutch lever to pull in when stopping was the hardest thing to adapt to.

I went on a freeway for a few miles.....getting to 75 quickly was no problem.
This unit did not have a windshield so there is a significant windblast and riding any distance would be tiring. I had on my Arai full face helmet with the face shield down and that helped.
If/when I get a CTX I would get the faired unit and opt for a large windscreen. Thanks to all the experimenters on the forum choosing a bigger windscreen would be easier. On previous bikes I tried up to three before I found one I liked.

I was impressed with the brakes. Coming off the Victory it was imperitive to use the rear brake along with the front.
With both BMWs I had in the past, using only the front brakes were more than adequate, except perhaps in a full panic stop.
The CTX displayed the same characteristic. Front brake only stopping was no problem.

I took a few turns in a parking lot to see how the slow speed u-turns felt.
Again, I was impressed. The combination of low weight and low CG made turning a delight. A lot easier than the Victory of Goldwing.

Overall I felt the CTX more in line with the BMW K75 and the Suzuki V-Strom 650. Both had more power, were a couple of inches higher but easy to handle.

I have a 33 inch inseam so the forward controls were no concern at all. The position was very comfortable and what I want/need to alleviate the foot location issues I have had with other bikes.

Although others on the forum have mentioned 2 up riding it's hard to say how that would be for me. My wife is about the same height as I am, about 5'10". She has the same leg length and is slender. She didn't like riding behind me on the BMW RT. Complained about leg room and windblast. (Got spoiled on the Goldwing and Victory).

She does ride her own bike also, the Vulcan 900 I mentioned. To me the CTX is far smoother than the Kawa. I must get her to ride one so she can replace the 900 with one of these.

If there is one aspect of the bike I am not in love with it's the chain drive. Except for the V-Strom, all my other bikes were shaft or belt drive. A chain takes a little more care but not overwhelmingly so.
Any other drive on the CTX would increase the cost so it's something to live with.

Sorry if I have been a little long winded but I really was impressed with the CTX and am seriously contemplating going that route.
I hope my input helps anyone else thinking about buying a CTX.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mikey, if you are going to do any 2up riding you may want to test ride the CTX with your wife. You didn't mention in your post if you were test riding solo or 2 up but it sounded like you were solo. I would think if you and your wife are comfortable on the Suzuki 650 Wee storm then you may be able to get comfortable on the CTX but you may want to consider an after market seat when they are available. I didn't get the DCT model thinking that I can shift it myself why would I pay more money but after being on this forum for a while I am fairly confident my next bike will be a DCT. Good luck in your decision, jim s

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CTXer, I did the demo ride solo.
My wife didn't like riding the back seat on the V-Strom any more than on the BMW RT.
My goal is to convince her to trade off the Vulcan and get two CTXs. I'm sure the Honda dealer would like that.
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mike, Now you're talking... It sounds perfect! Hope it works out and we can share riding stories here on this forum. peace, jim

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike I rode was a CTXN with DCT. I think all DCT models heve ABS so I assume it did have ABS.
I didn't brake hard enough to engage the ABS.
Other than doing, that in normal braking, you can't tell the difference between ABS and non-ABS.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I have the tall windscreen, IMO its not worth the money. Waiting to see what Madstad can make.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I also have the tall screen and it works well for my wife, she is about 5'3". If you are any taller than that I would suggest waiting to see what Madstad has in the works. Hopefully it will be coming out soon.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am 6 foot and have the tall windshield and it works just fine for me. After reading all those disappointed in theirs after having already ordered mine I was afriad I was going to be let down as well. But after riding mine all weekend (500 miles in 3 days I've owned it), I think it is perfect. To each their own I guess?? For me, the seat is my only gripe. Tailbone and butt very uncomfortable after first 100 miles of ride. Girlfriend riding on back fells same way. She could not get comfortable and was in pain as well. That sucks for me, cause my rides are usually 300 miles with minimal stopping, other than fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I am 6 foot and have the tall windshield and it works just fine for me. After reading all those disappointed in theirs after having already ordered mine I was afriad I was going to be let down as well. But after riding mine all weekend (500 miles in 3 days I've owned it), I think it is perfect. To each their own I guess?? For me, the seat is my only gripe. Tailbone and butt very uncomfortable after first 100 miles of ride. Girlfriend riding on back fells same way. She could not get comfortable and was in pain as well. That sucks for me, cause my rides are usually 300 miles with minimal stopping, other than fuel.
If you decide to re-work the seat I recommend Seth Laam, great work and reasonable prices. I use an Airhawk and it works perfect for me. Trick is use as little air as possible.

Laam Custom Motorcycle Seats

·
Registered
433 Posts
I am looking into the "medium cruiser" Airhawk. Little pricey though just to see if it works for me or not. Still debating buying one or waiting for aftermarket to catch up to this new bike.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
That is the one I use on my C14 and I used it when riding my wifes CTX home, (5+ hrs). My butt was fine the entire way home and we only stopped for fuel. If you buy one spend the money and get the better one. They work for some and not for others. Using the lowest amount of air works for me. I had a Laam seat, the Spencer Mod, and a Mayer saddle. The stock seat on my C14 works as well or better than some of those. Spencer does a good mod for extending the ride but personally on the CTX I would buy an Airhawk. If it does not work return it or sell it in the classifieds.
Spencer Mod Page 1

·
Registered
433 Posts
This site looks cheaper and has good ratings it seems. This is from where I was going to purchase. Besides, no ebay account and I don't really want one. AirHawk - Indysuperbikes

·
Registered
433 Posts
Done deal, ordered the better versions of both for me and her. Man, I hope this works!!! Love the bike otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Good luck, remember to use as little air as possible. I put air in, sit on the bike, and loosen the valve slightly as I move around to even out the air. Post your results with the Airhawk as well as how the dealer experience goes. On the CTX it really helped me because the weight of my body rests on my butt. The forward pegs does not allow me to support my weight with my feet or thighs against the tank the way it does on a more conventional setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts