CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I got to test drive a red CTX700N yesterday after getting my Class M endorsement. It was wicked fun. I didn't take it on the highway since the nearest is I-35, which anybody living between North Dallas and Mexico knows is a deathtrap if you're driving anything smaller than a "suburban assault vehicle." I did get it up to around 45 in a straightaway near the dealership, which was thrilling enough, having spent the 2 days prior keeping it under 15 for the Safety Course. And, yes, I do have a jacket. I realized when I got to the dealer that I left it at home. :eek:

I'm fairly certain I'm going to buy one. The pros outweigh the cons for me, this being my first motorcycle purchase.

I've never bought anything new, but have decided to go that route with my moto (yes, I'm preparing myself for the heart-attack of dropping it for the first time).

I do know my way around a toolbox pretty well and one of the joys of motorcycle ownership I am looking forward to is maintenance and modification. I do not intend to purchase any sort of add-on maintenance package.

My question is this: how accessible are the mechanical components of this bike? Will I easily be able to remove the plastic and change oil, filters, spark plugs, lube the chain, check the sprockets, fuel filter, valve adjustment, etc.?

Having never performed these tasks on a motorcycle before, I don't exactly know what to look for. I plan on investing in a pit-bull type rear wheel stand, a good torque wrench, and whatever other tools are required down the road.

I've consistently sweared by Honda's reliability, but I recently had to change out a radiator on my '04 CRV and it was a NIGHTMARE. Took me all day. I changed out a radiator on an '89 Civic once, and it took me <1 hour. My worry is that all Hondas (even the small engines) are engineered in such a way to detract owner maintenance. :eek:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would say most of the maintenance on this bike is down right easy. You should be find doing the work on it. Never hurts to get a Service Manual though in case you are unsure of something.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No problem. If you can change the oil in your car, you can change it on a bike, and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to do the other maintenance. You don't need to pull any plastic to change the oil, and Purolator Pure One and Mobil-1 oil filters fit (better filters). I believe the oil filter is the same as on a Honda Civic also.

Personally, I don't like anyone other than myself working on my bikes. I don't want to wonder (or find out the hard way) if the "mechanic" remembered to tighten the axle bolts correctly when I'm going 75mph. It's my butt in that seat, not his.

I wouldn't let most of the mechanics I've seen work on my bicycle, let alone my motorycle.

If you can't turn a wrench, and it sounds like you can, then you can handle it.

Go for it. You only live once.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I do most the usual stuff myself. Went to local dealer this morning to get oil filters and they could not find any stock numbers to get me right ones. I believe it takes an oil and clutch filter. They had squat! Told me to bring in the used one so they could match them.......

No microfiche available. And they have 3 on the floor. I have dct/abs fairing .

May have to mail order them. That's why I do my own wrenching.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Purolator Pure One p/n: PL14612
(Get the Pure One, not the Classic)

Mobil-1 p/n: M1-108

Both fit right on there and are available at any auto parts store. Even uses the same oil filter wrench. Either of these filters are way better than a Honda filter.

You're on your own for the trans filter. If I come across a sub, I'll post it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Honda oil filter is p/n: 15410-MFJ-D01

Fits practically every honda car and motorcycle made in the recent past. If your dealer has a single fricken' filter on the shelf, it should fit your bike. A filter for a Gold Wing might have a different p/n, but it's the same **** filter.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I do most the usual stuff myself. Went to local dealer this morning to get oil filters and they could not find any stock numbers to get me right ones. I believe it takes an oil and clutch filter. They had squat! Told me to bring in the used one so they could match them.......

No microfiche available. And they have 3 on the floor. I have dct/abs fairing .

May have to mail order them. That's why I do my own wrenching.

see post "How to find partnumber",

CTX owners don't need no stinking microfiche thingy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts