CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my D model (fairing) in about 2weeks. I do not want to ride it straight out of the box at highway speeds. So,I am wanting to haul it back in my mini van (t&c). Could someone tell me the height floor to the top of the stock windshield? I have about 45inches for the rear door. It is higher once past the door opening. But you gotta get past that height.

I am not opposed to dropping the front wheel off till I get at home. If I have to.

Thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
ride it. the rule is just don't keep the throttle at a constant speed for very long (say 5 minutes). put it in manual mode and rotate it between 4th 5th and 6th at 60 mph. Slow down when no one behind you. Map out some frontage roads if possible and other 2 lane roads where you can go 50-60. take an exit every now and then and get right back on to exercise the lower gears. That is what I would do and did.

Reactions: Pete

·
Registered
49 Posts
ride it. the rule is just don't keep the throttle at a constant speed for very long (say 5 minutes). put it in manual mode and rotate it between 4th 5th and 6th at 60 mph. Slow down when no one behind you. Map out some frontage roads if possible and other 2 lane roads where you can go 50-60. take an exit every now and then and get right back on to exercise the lower gears. That is what I would do and did.
I'm with Bill. Sounds like a lot of work to not ride your new bike home.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Alternatively, just pay the dealer to have them deliver the bike to your home. What will they charge, $50?

Even if it does fit into your van, there is a chance you'll get it scratched up while loading/unloading it. Not worth the risk on a brand new bike.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My wife picked hers up last Friday rode it home 100 miles all freeway. Just like has been mentioned vary your speed and RPMs it will be fine. We ran between 55 and 75 with most of the trip going 60 for a while then up to 70 for a while, back down to 60 ect.... If you do end up hauling it the windshield comes off easier than the front wheel. See How-to forum.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so what is the height?

i would Never ride a new bike at highway speeds straight out of the box. Interstate all the way. Not for extended times.
I have about 400 miles to ride home. Worth it to haul bike IMO. Not my first rodeo.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys n gals , didn't mean to sound so short. You didn't know the mileage.
I will ride my wing there nonstop ('cept for gas). Wife will visit family while I pick up new bike. Dealer will help load up and I have lift/ramp at home. Then I will visit and head back next day. He will have accessories for me to haul back too. Nice deal for all.

Done business with dealer for 30 years.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Armdillo the accessorie parts list says that the inner supports are required and cost 89.95. If your getting a D they're already there under the rear grips and you don't need to buy them.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looks like the windshield will fit but the mirrors have to come off. short windshield top edge is about 43"-44". The brake reservior is 44".

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you!

i read the posts about adding the accessories. appreciated the hint about the inner supports.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Armdillo, I did not realize you have 400 miles to go home from the dealer. Hauling makes much more sense then. Ride it when you get it home and safe.

again welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've decided to haul mine when I get it, and I'm only 120 miles from home. It's not so much about the constant speeds. It's more about getting some gradual training before trying a long trip. I've been riding a motorcycle some to learn the differences, but I've never owned one. I'm a scooter graduate, and since I've got to get to the dealership somehow anyway, I might as well take the son's truck and haul it back. Get it home and start slowly getting used to the bike and how it handles; maybe even take the MSF before I get too far along.

The guy that has been be letting me learn on his second bike just crashed on his Harley. Cracked some ribs; separated both shoulders; took a big gash out of the back of his helmet; possibly had a stroke a couple of days later as a result of the trauma. Crash wasn't his fault. A very young driver hit him, but I don't know the details, but at any rate, this kind of event kind of brings it all home. We should all be as prepared and skilled, and protected as we can possibly be out there on the road. I'm going to make sure I've always got on all the gear; be as skilled and aware as possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Greg, sorry to hear about your friend. Thoughts and prayers go out to him. Being a scooter and ctx owner, there is a big difference in the ride and handling. My PCX 150 is light and very easy to move about. !st time taking my CTX D home, I immediately noticed the weight and riding position. Still very easy to get used to, but certainly different from my scooter ride. I rode it around for about 50 miles that day, then took the PCX for an errand (because of the trunk), I immediately noticed the more upright seating position and the lack of shielding from the fairings. I felt like it took me about 10 minutes to get accustomed to the CTX ride, and quite frankly don't have the issue with the differences now. Definitely second your comment about always having the riding gear on. Peace and ride safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts