CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello
My dad is giving me his 2016 Honda ctx700 but I don’t like the looks of the fairing and windshield.
Is it possible to convert the ctx700 to a ctx700n?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Or just strip off all the plastic and ride it truly naked :D

Seriously though, a trade is going to be the cheapest option. That being said, depending where you will be riding, almost every N model has been customized to get some form of wind protection....

·
Registered
2014 CTX700N
31 Posts
Or just strip off all the plastic and ride it truly naked :D

Seriously though, a trade is going to be the cheapest option. That being said, depending where you will be riding, almost every N model has been customized to get some form of wind protection....
While I did purchase a small Puig windscreen a couple of weeks after I got my naked CTX..I have since removed it & ride fully NAKED all the time!! I do have a Spitfire windshield that a friend gave me which I MAY install if we decide to do any "touring" or extended highway riding. It's sole purpose would be protection from flying debris such a rocks or even bugs vs wind protection. Believe it or not..despite claims to the contrary, the wind isn't terrible or very turbulent below 70 mph on the naked model.

·
Registered
951 Posts
While I did purchase a small Puig windscreen a couple of weeks after I got my naked CTX..I have since removed it & ride fully NAKED all the time!! I do have a Spitfire windshield that a friend gave me which I MAY install if we decide to do any "touring" or extended highway riding. It's sole purpose would be protection from flying debris such a rocks or even bugs vs wind protection. Believe it or not..despite claims to the contrary, the wind isn't terrible or very turbulent below 70 mph on the naked model.
My wife refused to ride the N until I had the short MRA screen installed. The seating position and the wind while travelling under any significant speed (50+) just made it too tiring for her to continue riding as the wind would push her upper body backwards. While enjoyable without the screen around town, even I was fatigued after an hour of riding. With the screen I could ride all day and even take short trips on the highway.

·
Registered
2014 CTX700N
31 Posts
My wife refused to ride the N until I had the short MRA screen installed. The seating position and the wind while travelling under any significant speed (50+) just made it too tiring for her to continue riding as the wind would push her upper body backwards. While enjoyable without the screen around town, even I was fatigued after an hour of riding. With the screen I could ride all day and even take short trips on the highway.
I've heard that stated before, but I don't find it fatiguing below 70 mph. My only complaint would be when I wear my full face helmet that has an open eye area. The wind will occasionally whip a bit to cause some head jerk but that's only on really windy days which I'll avoid riding most times anyway. I don't tour with this bike yet, I just ride certain routes I have mapped out on the Scenic app & most of it is under 50 mph. I have two routes that are both about 2 hrs. I usually hop on my 1977 Kawasaki kz650 for another 30-45 min after I get off the CTX. 🤷‍♂️ Btw, I'm almost 50 & no spring chicken either. 😜

·
Registered
128 Posts
I love hitting rt 64 where i hit 70 with just the puig windscreen, I will say i love my non faired mainly for the fact the light follows the steering since deer are an issue in my area.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The N version was just covered to create the covered version. There are always people looking for panels so you could sell them.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Hello
My dad is giving me his 2016 Honda ctx700 but I don’t like the looks of the fairing and windshield.
Is it possible to convert the ctx700 to a ctx700n?
It would be difficult and expensive to try to convert the fairing model to the naked model. You can see this by looking at the handlebar/fork configuration of each model. The naked model has the control panel, headlight, and turn signals all mounted to the fork section, and move with the handlebars. On the fairing model, these units are mounted in the dashboard/fairing, which is fixed and bolted to the frame. They do not move with the handlebars. To convert the fairing to n version, you need different mounting hardware and wiring for these units. This is a major modification, not just a panel removal. As was mentioned, trying to sell the fairing model, and buy an N model maybe the way to go. Good luck.

By the way, I like the looks of the naked model better also.;)

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 700N
4 Posts
....did the same. I have the N model, tried the Puig, then quickly decided the ride was much better without. Caveat: i do not do any touring, or run faster than 70mph.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts