CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 63,000 miles now. I had the two transmission components (1) Part # 38800-MGS-D21 Sensor Assembly (transmission gear sensor). $188.99. Labor $147.00. 2) Replace ratio control motor Part Number 31300-MJF-A21 $265.99 LABOR $110.00 + TAX) replaced at 48,000 miles. Recently I had both sprockets, chain and spark plugs replaced with the oil change. Since then the bike has been running rough. It lurches at start ups, sometimes shifts very rough and sometimes it dies when starting out. Never had this before. Any ideas?

·
Registered
642 Posts
If the service was recent I would call who did the service and see if they will look at it no charge if the issues started right after the service. You could check that the oil level is correct and not over filled and also pull and inspect the plugs and make sure the plug wires are pushed down tight on the plug. Check that they are the correct plugs in the correct heat range and check that they did not crack the insulating porcelain when installing them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points. Exactly what the service tech recommended. They have it now. I'm having another set of plugs put in just in case. He also thinks it might be the connecting wires to the plugs. The first symptom after the service was the engine would run hardly at all. He checked after that and said it was probably exactly as you say: a plug wire wasn't pushed down tight on the plug and tended to jiggle loose. After he fixed that it worked OK but now it's doing the lurching and dying on takeoff.

I ride this bike every day and take a camping trip of several hundred miles every month. It's been a great bike except for transmission issues at 48,000 miles. For that reason I doubt I would buy a DCT again. I'm surprised the DCT isn't just as reliable long term as a car automatic transmission - especially since Honda is putting the DCT into more and more of their bikes - especially the Gold Wing and Africa Twin which are high end products.

Thanks for the excellent input.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If the bike ran fine before the plug and oil change and badly after I would verify that the work done is correct first. If they have the engine running smoothly by changing the plugs I would look to the oil change. The clutch and tranny operate based on wheel speed and engine RPM. If the engine is running rough with erratic RPM the tranny and clutch will do the same. If the motor is running smoothly and it is lurching and dying it could be an oil pressure issue that controls the clutch. It might be worth looking to see that the DCT filter was installed correctly. See page 3-11 where it says “Install a new clutch oil filter with the "OUTSIDE" mark [6] facing out”. Possibly if the filter was installed backwards that could cause an issue with clutch operation.
http://www.greenknights36.com/html/files/Pictures/Temp/ServiceManual.pdf

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
#1 I am assuming that your gas is not old. #2. I have found that rpm lurching was due to fowled injectors, or the computer not controlling the injectors properly. #3 loose spark plug wire so that the engine is running on a variable spark plug ration.

·
Registered
442 Posts
............... Since then the bike has been running rough. It lurches at start ups, sometimes shifts very rough and sometimes it dies when starting out. Never had this before. Any ideas?
Yeah, your mechanic didnt do the job correctly. Sounds like you've got that figured out and hopefully he will be a little more careful on the second go around. This is why i do as much of my own work as possible.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Really interested to hear the solution. But, very sorry to hear about you likely having issues caused by someone else. Seems to be trending that way all over unfortunately.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Always a bright side Fred. You arent this person who trusted this dealer's mechanics.

Steve

·
Registered
166 Posts
This has reminded me how valuable a good mechanic can be, especially since I have “aged out” of doing some things that I used to do myself (tire changes, fork springs, etc.) It’s getting close to oil change time, and I certainly could do it myself, but I think I will call Kyle-the-mobile-mechanic instead. Throw some business his way and save myself some bending and stooping at the same time. Now, if I could only find someone to work on my Mazda. :unsure:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did they use the right chain and sprockets for the DCT? I believe they are different than the manual shift. That may explain your lurching now the spark plug issue is resolved. They were changed at the same time as the plugs if I read you correctly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the bike ran fine before the plug and oil change and badly after I would verify that the work done is correct first. If they have the engine running smoothly by changing the plugs I would look to the oil change. The clutch and tranny operate based on wheel speed and engine RPM. If the engine is running rough with erratic RPM the tranny and clutch will do the same. If the motor is running smoothly and it is lurching and dying it could be an oil pressure issue that controls the clutch. It might be worth looking to see that the DCT filter was installed correctly. See page 3-11 where it says “Install a new clutch oil filter with the "OUTSIDE" mark [6] facing out”. Possibly if the filter was installed backwards that could cause an issue with clutch operation.
http://www.greenknights36.com/html/files/Pictures/Temp/ServiceManual.pdf
Thanks much for the response. I haven't been monitoring this post because the bike has been in the shop. They couldn't figure it out so it's now with the Honda dealer. I told them about your thoughts and we'll see. I'll let you know. Would be AMAZING if it was simply putting in the DCT filter backwards!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did they use the right chain and sprockets for the DCT? I believe they are different than the manual shift. That may explain your lurching now the spark plug issue is resolved. They were changed at the same time as the plugs if I read you correctly.
Hadn't thought of that. Thanks. I'll pass it along.
#1 I am assuming that your gas is not old. #2. I have found that rpm lurching was due to fowled injectors, or the computer not controlling the injectors properly. #3 loose spark plug wire so that the engine is running on a variable spark plug ration.
Thanks. I ride every day so the gas never gets old. I asked about injectors but no answer. I've moved the bike to a Honda dealer. I have been having it serviced at a Moto Guzzi dealer because they're closer. But The DCT is something they just don't get. The next bike I buy I think will be an NC750 Manual. I don't know why the DCT has issues. But I'm too old to deal with reliability problems. I'd rather just go back to shifting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, your mechanic didnt do the job correctly. Sounds like you've got that figured out and hopefully he will be a little more careful on the second go around. This is why i do as much of my own work as possible.
Doing your own work is great IF you're not a complete bozo at doing anything manual. Unfortunately, I am a bozo when it comes to anything mechanical.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Thanks much for the response. I haven't been monitoring this post because the bike has been in the shop. They couldn't figure it out so it's now with the Honda dealer. I told them about your thoughts and we'll see. I'll let you know. Would be AMAZING if it was simply putting in the DCT filter backwards!!!
Or a much too loose chain? This may not be an issue with the transmission at all. Hopefully they sort it out soon. :unsure:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or a much too loose chain? This may not be an issue with the transmission at all. Hopefully they sort it out soon. :unsure:
After two dealers and two weeks no one could figure out what the issue was. I was not any of things posted on this forum - I had them check all of the things suggested. So yesterday I bought a 2021 NC750 with a manual transmission. I like it except for four things: 1) I wish the foot pegs were straight under my knees 2) the seat is in two parts because the gas tank is under the rear section of the seat. I'm not crazy about this because I tour a lot and strap bags onto the back seat and luggage rack. So to add gas I have to unload the bike which is a pain. 3) The front seat section slopes down instead of being flat (why??) which causes you to ride on your man parts - why are stock motorcycle seats ALWAYS so bad? The only exceptions I've had to this have a been a couple of Harley's - but always I have to go out and buy a Corbin seat whenever I buy a new bike. 4) because of the gas tank and the rear seat you are jammed into this small front seat, unable to move back at all. Why don't bikes have banana seats like the Triumph Bonneville? Anyway, I may take this bike back after the weekend. It's really smooth, plenty of power, great looks etc. but the four things above could be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh, and why did I buy a manual transmission after 63000 miles on my CTX700 DCT? 2 reasons: 1) the DCT version was not available anywhere in my state and 2) the only problems I had had with the CTX700 were DCT related so I don't have 100% confidence in that transmission. And I over maintain everything on my bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts