Registered
825 Posts
>:)

·
Registered
825 Posts
And I thought I was impatient. :D:D

Doug
To be fair: When you said "I believe I will have to trim the fake leather. The under seat posts/rubber cushions are just a hair narrower than the Hooker."

I thought you had already mounted it.

Reactions: flat6bagger

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
You might want to consider purchasing the OEM backrest to give you a solid stop. Then mount the barrel on the rear seat and secure with hold down straps to the cargo hooks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You might want to consider purchasing the OEM backrest to give you a solid stop. Then mount the barrel on the rear seat and secure with hold down straps to the cargo hooks.
I already have the backrest.
I bought the hooker mounting system so the barrel bag D rings (which are on the bottom of the bag) would be very close to the rings on the Hooker mount system.
That should make the bag more secure and have a cleaner look to it.
That is the plan at least.:D

Doug

·
Registered
817 Posts
To be fair: When you said "I believe I will have to trim the fake leather. The under seat posts/rubber cushions are just a hair narrower than the Hooker."

I thought you had already mounted it.
Tony,
I figured that you thought that and was just messing with you.
Didn't come out the way I intended.Sorry.
What I was talking about, that you did not know was that I took the mount system measurements that were listed and did a mock up out of cardboard.
I know where the barrel bag sits on the seat.
I placed the cardboard where the mount would be under the seat.
That showed me that the seat posts/rubber cushions would be in the way.
That is where I came up with the idea that I will have to trim the fake leather on the mount.

sorry for the confusion.

Doug

·
Registered
817 Posts
The Hooker mounting system got installed today.
I think it is going to work good.
Once Spring gets here,I can test it out.
I don't like that the D rings will leave indentations in the seat.
That being said,just about any way a bag gets mounted on a seat using bungie cords causes some type of indentation.
The cool thing is that I can put a lock between the barrel bag D rings and the Hooker D rings.

Sorry about the sideways pictures.
I have no clue how to make them straight.

Doug

Attachments

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I like that a lot Doug!!! That would be perfect if I was going to do some solo things!! I'm going to look up this hooker system......

·
Registered
817 Posts
Brad,
go to post #16.
I have the link you can click on for it.
That was the cheapest place I found them.

Doug

·
Registered
825 Posts
So this piece just wraps under the mounted seat? No real attachment?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I like that a lot Doug!!! That would be perfect if I was going to do some solo things!! I'm going to look up this hooker system......
And when Brad goes missing we will know he failed to adequately explain to the mrs. "going on a solo trip with the hooker system....." :laugh: >:)

·
Registered
817 Posts
So this piece just wraps under the mounted seat? No real attachment?

Yes.
It doesn't need anything more to work.
It can't come out (unless your seat flew off,I guess it could) and the D rings are sewn into the heavy material.
Simple and functional.:D

Doug

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The Hooker mounting system got installed today.
I think it is going to work good.
Once Spring gets here,I can test it out.
I don't like that the D rings will leave indentations in the seat.
That being said,just about any way a bag gets mounted on a seat using bungie cords causes some type of indentation.
The cool thing is that I can put a lock between the barrel bag D rings and the Hooker D rings.

Sorry about the sideways pictures.
I have no clue how to make them straight.

Doug
Its kinda late to ask but anyway you can post a pic of the attachment system with the alterations you made to fit under the seat for members.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Its kinda late to ask but anyway you can post a pic of the attachment system with the alterations you made to fit under the seat for members.
Sorry...
I forgot to mention that I did not have to alter anything.
The Hooker system uses velcro to be able to widen it.
I just had to release the pieces and adjust them on the velcro to do the widening.
It fit under the seat in the correct spot.
I was off on my mock up a wee bit.:D
I will take a picture tomorrow where it sits under the seat and post it.
I will also take a picture with the barrel bag removed and the seat on the bike.

Doug

·
Registered
817 Posts
Here are the pictures I promised.
You can clearly see in the seat mounted photo how the seat is getting indented from mounting the barrel bag.
I do not like that at all.
Hopefully with some heat and sitting on it the indentations will come out.
I admit I am anal about things like this.
I could see myself ditching the barrel bag being mounted on top of the seat because of it.
I am trying to come up with a way to put something under the bag and protecting the seat to stop this from happening.

Doug

Attachments

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Hey Doug,
I like this mounting scheme a lot!!!! In your estimation, if I were to leave the Hooker system on the bike all the time, would it scratch anything just riding and blowing in the wind with no bag attached?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Brad,
I do not believe it could.
Look at the photo with the seat mounted in my post above.
The D rings are protected by the material it is sewn into.
With the seat on the system is quite secure.
I am leaving it on my CTX.
The material is quite soft to the touch.
This mounting system is made to go between the seat and fender on cruisers.
I don't think they would want the backlash if it was capable of scratching fenders.
Also, look at the picture in this post showing the bag mounted.
I wanted to protect the seat from getting indentations from the D rings.
I went to Walmart and bought a larger width bicycle inner tube.
I cut it long and stretched it over the D ring.
It may not keep all of the indentation from happening,but appears that it will greatly reduce the pressure so as it is not in 1 spot.(if that makes sense):)

PS can someone tell me how to make it so the pictures are not sideways when I download them from my computer?
I don't see where there is an option to adjust the picture before posting.

thanks

Doug

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Anything rubbing against paint or metal no matter how soft will either damage or noticeably polish the finish. You must protect the finish, seat, etc. with either a automotive protective film (fender) or cover (seat). It doesn't take very long either so best to protect before installing. Plan ahead.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts