CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the winter season to do my luggage research. There are so many options out there it is overloading my brain!

What a person 'installs' on their bike appears to be a truly individual choice and there are certainly pros and cons to everything.

With that being said, I am currently leaning toward a Saddlemen TS3200DE tail bag.

TS3200DE Deluxe Cruiser Tail Bag- Universal Rigid construction holds bag shape- even when emp

So my question is: does anyone have any experience with their products?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Taking the winter season to do my luggage research. There are so many options out there it is overloading my brain!

What a person 'installs' on their bike appears to be a truly individual choice and there are certainly pros and cons to everything.

With that being said, I am currently leaning toward a Saddlemen TS3200DE tail bag.

TS3200DE Deluxe Cruiser Tail Bag- Universal Rigid construction holds bag shape- even when emp

So my question is: does anyone have any experience with their products?

I don't know if this helps you in your decision, but I have never been a fan of soft luggage due to wet weather. I have a hard case which needs a wipe down after a wet ride, but the materials in soft luggage attract dirt and don't allow for easy cleanup.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I've owned a set of Saddleman bags on one of my old Suzuki Intruders. They are quality and never had any issues. I've also owned 2 of the fork bags, which I really liked. They held their form and never faded on me.
If you like the tailbag, go for it!
(Then you can be the guinea pig and be the first to review!)

***Edit to add - that tailbag may come with a waterproof cover. If not, go to the Walmart sporting goods section and they sell waterproof bags that should cover your tailbag.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Saddlemen R1300LXE bag which is very similar in design to the one you are considering. I use mine as a seat mounted "go bag" as it goes on and off the bike easily. It's very well made, expandable, sturdy, it holds it's shape and gives me ample room for day trips. If I were a commuter it would be my daily companion.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
I'm not a fan of soft luggage either to be mounted. They are too soft, fade, not waterproof and fall apart in short time. I see any and all soft luggage to be used as temporary. Since used temporarily, you can get any kind you luggage you like, heck you can get a cheap $8 duffle bag at walmart. Before you load the bag, line it with a trash bag and it is now waterproof. That's what I do, increase your load for under $10 each. Add as many as you like~

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Like Rebell13, I just use a common duffel type bag or soft canvas type luggage secured with bungee cord to the tie down hooks to augment my hard luggage. Cheap, inexpensive and makes a great backrest when secured to the rear passenger seat. I've used a number of soft systems over the years and been very disappointed in most of them. I would suggest saving and spending a little more for some hard lockable luggage and augmenting it when necessary with the cheaper stuff.

·
Registered
975 Posts
New Honda CTP700SB. "Comfort", "Technology", and "Pickup truck", 670 CC, short bed:). Technically, the payload is up to the GVWR, less my geared-up weight, the weight of the light-weight box, and the added weight of the Madstad screen. The box itself can handle 900 pounds according to the label, and it sits right where a rider normally would in a 2-up vehicle, so this new pickup can really haul for a mid-sized, solo-riding motorcycle.:). Pictured below shows tail gate up, tail gate down, and new-for North America, easily convertible, flat bed body.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
That tail bag you show looks nice. Just keep in mind these soft bags are not secure from someone who wants to get into them. Really the hard cases are not completely secure either but the soft bags are easily beaten with a sharp knife, in seconds.

I have a wolfman "wolf" tail bag, second season with it on full time and so far it's been bulletproof, hasn't faded, etc. it's not secure at all if someone really wants to get into it, so I don't leave anything important or not easily replaced in it. I don't want a big hard case on the tail. The Wolf is big enough to hold a full face helmet.

When I need to carry more for a trip I have a dry bag made for MC use that I add to the picture, lots of room, secure straps, keeps the water out and works great. (See below).

All that said, nothing wrong with what others suggested to solve the problem more cheaply. Put your stuff in a heavy duty garbage bag and then put it into a cheap duffel. It's dry. I just like the Wolfman stuff. It's made in America, strong, and very high quality.

Attachments

Reactions: Nan700nd

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
New Honda CTP700SB. "Comfort", "Technology", and "Pickup truck", 670 CC, short bed:). Technically, the payload is up to the GVWR, less my geared-up weight, the weight of the light-weight box, and the added weight of the Madstad screen. The box itself can handle 900 pounds according to the label, and it sits right where a rider normally would in a 2-up vehicle, so this new pickup can really haul for a mid-sized, solo-riding motorcycle.:). Pictured below shows tail gate up, tail gate down, and new-for North America, easily convertible, flat bed body.
Cool!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello Greg, have not heard from you for a long while. Glad to see you back.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hello Greg, have not heard from you for a long while. Glad to see you back.
Thanks for the greeting. Good to be back. Tried to sell the bike co-signed at a dealership for a year and a half after laying it down twice. Couldn't get an acceptable price and still think it's the best bike out there for me, so I picked it back up and started riding again. P4 tires; getting upper 70s for mpg commuting after accounting for 2% trip meter error in my calculations. It's one amazing bike for commuting.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Reply to carrying cords and/or ropes...Yeah. I can actually hook them across the interior of the box; works like load locks; but Honda recommends limiting lumber lengths to 3.5 feet. Building that house will take lots of fasteners and glue, but at least it's a tiny house!:D

·
Registered
975 Posts
Here is the ultimate luggage option that gives an added bonus of at least 15 more mpg.

This man's name is Scott Ender. It's a 2011 CBR 250R. He built the tail himself out of thin plywood and fiberglass; probably more than 85 liters. Makes his bike more usable for his commute and helps it slip through the air more easily, thereby making it faster and less load at highway speeds. The tail; sprocket tooth change; and, a well-thought-out windshield shape, size, and placement has raised his commute mpg from low 80s to about 115 according to dedicated, careful Fuelly records. It's a sport bike, and so he does have to tuck for the streamline effect; however, he puts a large tank bag down and rests his chest on the bag, thereby taking the weight off his hands, and he can ride long distance comfortably.

Scott recently competed in the Vetter FE Challenge in Lexington, OH; went up against fully-modified streamlined Ninjas that have cut down frames and Vetter paper bodies. Due to Honda's superior power train engineering, Scott came in at 144 mpg, versus Vic's 187, and Alan's 158. Imagine what the 250 single could do clad with a full Vetter streamliner, but I much prefer the ride ability and mild modifying of Scott's bike for everyday riding over the unsafe, cumbersome streamliner.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread...

Are any of you using the Bikers Friend barrel bag luggage system?
My CTX came with the Bikers Friend XL barrel bag.
I had it mounted to the rear rack.
Since my wife is not going to ride with me,I want to mount it on the passenger seat.
My brother had it mounted this way.
I could bungee cord it to mount it like he had it,but I want a neater more secure way of doing it.

https://www.bikersfriend.com/

Doug

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
I believe I will have to trim the fake leather.
The under seat posts/rubber cushions are just a hair narrower than the Hooker.
If my measurements on the seat and the posted measurements of the Hooker are correct,that should be all.
We'll see.
Worse case is I can install it on the rear rack.
I don't want it there.
I want to utilize the barrel bag as a backrest.
I am going to make it work no matter what.
The reviews are very favorable.

Doug

·
Registered
825 Posts
Pictures...We NEED pictures....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts