CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone vertically challenged like me? The dealer I purchased my CTX700 DCT said he couldn't lower it anymore. So any suggestions. I need about two inches as I am about 5ft. tall. Have purchased high boots but it's just not doing it for me. Love my bike and want to ride desperately. :confused:

·
Banned
463 Posts
Stilts???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone vertically challenged like me? The dealer I purchased my CTX700 DCT said he couldn't lower it anymore. So any suggestions. I need about two inches as I am about 5ft. tall. Have purchased high boots but it's just not doing it for me. Love my bike and want to ride desperately. :confused:
Don't tell me you didn't sit on the bike OR took it for a spin prior to purchase, possibly a different/lower seat?

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Lowering the bike will reduce turning lean on an already low designed bike making it have even less maneuverability. You really don't need to flat foot any bike, that is insecurity-dangerous. Proper technique is to have your opposite primary hand's foot on ground most times only. If you are not in control and/or confident with any bike, you shouldn't be on it!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
First question; How did your dealer lower the bike if they lowered it.
2nd question: what is your budget to lower the bike. 100, 300, 500.00
3rd. You live in a big city. Call local upholstery shops and see if any specialize
in modifying motorcycle seats.
4. What is your inseam?
5. How much taller do you high boots make you over regular shoes.
6. What do you know about mechanical things. Do you know what a dog boned
shaped metal piece would look like.
7. Have you read or searched floor boards on this forum?
8. would you research lowering links on ebay for a NC700X

I will check back.

·
Registered
329 Posts
research replacing the seat with an aftermarket version, or go to the website another member posted a link to regarding custom seat. You may be able to take two inches off the seat or more, and replace it with a better foam. I have a Corbin seat for CTX, but it raised my 3", so DON'T do what I did (I like it better but I am 73" tall).

You can actually take bike to an upholstery shop for the cheapest attempt to fix it: They remove seat, and shave down the foam and recover it. But you will lose cushioning, and that means sore bumm. Many riders like to upgrade the seat first thing anyway. Try that first.

If handlebar position changes drastically after changing the seat, google "rox risers" and look at their products. I am already considering adding 2" black rox risers to my CTX, so I can lean back more (I am a lazy rider). Here are the black risers on ebay:

Rox Speed FX Elite Series Pivot Handlebar Riser 2in. Black 1R-P2SS

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I have a 29" inseam, I am guessing you are 23" inseam.
Seat, when they shave it make sure the sides toward the nose is almost down to no padding.
Lowering links, lets see there is about 3.5" of movement, if you drop 2" you will probably have to trim the ends off of the pegs. Can you even reach the pegs?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Get a bike that fits you.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I see many replies that poke fun at short riders and I don't think they are mean but in fun (so no replies or drama please). One of the reasons the CTX is popular is it's low seat height so I know there are short riders having success with this bike. KEMean got the bike wanted with hopes to adjust it somehow to meet requirements.

Everyone else is doing the same but most requirements are different (bags, footboards, seats, etc). True it may be possible to find a bike that fits but then it may not be the bike wanted. The ctx is not a sport bike and for most riders it is not pushed hard in the corners. Lowering the bike using suspension links is an option. Trimming the front of the seat to make it more narrow so feet can be placed closer together is another options. Higher heals on boots, looks like that was done. Running boards and adjusting the pedals will help once under way. Trimming some height off the seat can help. Raising the forks 1/2 inch in the triple tree will help. I know many of these things have been suggested and they do work.

so if you really want a certain kind of bike you get it and modify it and ride it knowing that it will be different and only in testing it will you know what it's limitations will be.

I am not vertically challenged on my CTX but am on my FZ-09. Did it stop me from buying one, NO. Did I do some things to help, yes. Am I testing it's limitations, yes but so far the limit is me.

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Registered
975 Posts
I see many replies that poke fun at short riders and I don't think they are mean but in fun (so no replies or drama please). One of the reasons the CTX is popular is it's low seat height so I know there are short riders having success with this bike. KEMean got the bike wanted with hopes to adjust it somehow to meet requirements.

Everyone else is doing the same but most requirements are different (bags, footboards, seats, etc). True it may be possible to find a bike that fits but then it may not be the bike wanted. The ctx is not a sport bike and for most riders it is not pushed hard in the corners. Lowering the bike using suspension links is an option. Trimming the front of the seat to make it more narrow so feet can be placed closer together is another options. Higher heals on boots, looks like that was done. Running boards and adjusting the pedals will help once under way. Trimming some height off the seat can help. Raising the forks 1/2 inch in the triple tree will help. I know many of these things have been suggested and they do work.

so if you really want a certain kind of bike you get it and modify it and ride it knowing that it will be different and only in testing it will you know what it's limitations will be.

I am not vertically challenged on my CTX but am on my FZ-09. Did it stop me from buying one, NO. Did I do some things to help, yes. Am I testing it's limitations, yes but so far the limit is me.
I'm glad that not everyone on here disregards calls for help from new riders as an opportunity to take have fun at others' expense and that I'm not the only one that noticed what was going on with regards to this thread. Good job Bill, Ceetex, Ralfthewrecker, and wheels for giving useful and helpful replies to a serious inquiry. This kind of information is helpful to me as well. I don't have this problem with the CTX, but I may one day want a ride that's a little tall for me and will know what options are out there to help.

·
Registered
36 Posts

"Limitations" is the key word. There are limitations as to how "far" you can "change/alter" things before it become "too" dangerous to operate or use both to yourself or the thing being changed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a similar experience and wanted to chime in. I’m 5’8” with a 30” inseam and my previous bike was a Triumph Bonneville T100. I really, really loved that bike and never wanted to get rid of it. However, being on my tiptoes or leaning way out to the left every time I came to a stop or hit traffic started to wear on me quite a bit. I would come home after a long ride or being stuck in traffic and sometimes my toes and ankles would be sore for days. I did test ride the bike and thought a lot about it before buying it but keeping the bike upright on a short test ride is not the same as living with it over time. Unless you’ve experienced this before, it’s hard to tell how much it will wear on you and what your tolerance will be. I know a lot of people say that if you are an experienced rider you should be ok leaning to the side at a stop and you shouldn’t worry about flat-footing it and I agree with this if you live in the country or somewhere that traffic or lots of stops isn’t a huge concern but being in a city on a tall bike if you are short can be very uncomfortable and definitely takes away some of the fun of riding. I firmly believe that anyone who is considering buying a bike that they can’t flat foot at a stop really needs to take this into account. It’s actually one of the reasons I am considering the CTX700, as it seems to fit me just right where the Bonneville was too tall and my Sportster is too low.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Scott

Excellent post.

I am 5'5" so have ridden tall bikes most of my 40+ years of riding. As you say, test riding and owning are very different as well as how small things can become major irritants over time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the helpful tips...much appreciated. I was actually able to find some great boots and with more experience am becoming much more comfortable. Love my CTX700 DCT!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scott, thanks for sharing your experiences with the various bikes. So far I have been able to find a great pair of quality boots through Harley which allow me to put my feet flat at stop. And of course the more I ride the more comfortable I am getting with the bike. I am actually considering taking an additional course offered here locally which allows you to get more coached experience on your own bike. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Actually found a great pair of boots at Harley and am doing just fine. Stilts just wouldn't work I'm afraid....smarty pants:)

that is great you can get both feet on the ground to suit you. Taking more classes with your own bike is also a very good idea.

A lot of people knock Harley Davidson mainly for their bikes (but we don't need to go there). But their large shops/stores have some excellent clothing in stock to look, feel and try on. Most foreign made and not cheap. They are fair values and if you take care of them, in my experience, the stuff does last for many years and actually is easy to resell.

Reactions: scott

·
Registered
191 Posts
Actually found a great pair of boots at Harley and am doing just fine. Stilts just wouldn't work I'm afraid....smarty pants:)

Dont discount them so quick. They have made a lot of technological advances in stilts these days. Titanium, light weight, advanced ankle fastening systems, etc :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts