CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my CTX700 dct on its center stand and noticed the next day this part lying under the bike? Before I tip the bike over (I do not have a bike Jack), does anyone know what this is to? The regular bike stand? Thanks Worried to ride the bike now
Bicycle part Automotive tire Gas Auto part Engineering

Automotive tire Gas Household hardware Auto part Nut

Wood Gas Automotive tire Auto part Soil

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You will likely have part of the bolt still in the frame. Adding a rubber bumper to the bolt head where the centerstand impacts the stopper will help lessen the chance of the bolt snapping again.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Glad you caught it at home, some of those stoppers have fallen off on the road. (much discussion here about it awhile back). Theory is that the supplied mounting to frame bolt was not strong enough to withstand repeated impacts of centerstand retraction. Good advice above about adding a rubber bumper. The stopper can be adjusted for centerstand position in the up position.:)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Glad you caught it at home, some of those stoppers have fallen off on the road. (much discussion here about it awhile back). Theory is that the supplied mounting to frame bolt was not strong enough to withstand repeated impacts of centerstand retraction. Good advice above about adding a rubber bumper. The stopper can be adjusted for centerstand position in the up position.:)
There is a lot of debate regarding the bolt strength. As you increase bolt strength, the brittleness also increases. Sharp impacts are very hard on brittle bolts.

What comes with the stopper kit is likely an A2 but could be an A4 Stainless fastener. Going to a class 8.8 bolt is a good balance between the tensile strength of the A2/A4 and the other higher rated fasteners. (Class 8.8 is roughly the metric version of a grade 5 bolt.)

·
Registered
864 Posts
I replaced the bolt, and added a door stop to the head of the new bolt so that when it hits, it doesn't shock the bolt in the future.

Something like this:

Dishware Tire Wheel Headgear Automotive wheel system

Drill the center for bolt size. I added an appropriately sized flat washer for added support in the center so the bolt couldn't pop through.

Reactions: Ruby and Arrgh

·
Registered
350 Posts
You will likely have part of the bolt still in the frame. Adding a rubber bumper to the bolt head where the centerstand impacts the stopper will help lessen the chance of the bolt snapping again.
Question....I had the same thing happen. How do you get the snapped part of the bolt out?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Question....I had the same thing happen. How do you get the snapped part of the bolt out?
If it is snapped flush.... Sometimes you can tap it with a center punch to break the torque and use a pick to spin it out. Then if the pick doesnt work, use a left hand drill bit in a hand drill (spinning in reverse) to drill into the stud left behind. Sometimes the bit will bite into the stud and just come out. If that doesnt work, and you drill a hole into the stud, switch to an easy out to remove.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If it is snapped flush.... Sometimes you can tap it with a center punch to break the torque and use a pick to spin it out. Then if the pick doesnt work, use a left hand drill bit in a hand drill (spinning in reverse) to drill into the stud left behind. Sometimes the bit will bite into the stud and just come out. If that doesnt work, and you drill a hole into the stud, switch to an easy out to remove.
Thanks so much for your response. I have been trying the reverse drill bit approach but after a lot of drilling I haven't been able to grab enough of the screw to reverse drill, the screw is very hard. There was a bit of the screw sticking out so I I tried to grab it with vise grips and screw it out but it just went so far. Do you advise to file or cut the screw flush with the frame and then try to reverse drill it? Thanks again for taking the time to help.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Consider getting a free quote from a local machine shop to remove the broken cap screw. Email them a couple of pictures and see what they say. It would probably be a ten minuet job for them. Attached is a place in Cody that may be able to do it or refer you to someone who can. It’s always cheaper and easier for them to remove them untouched. After you get a price you can weigh your options and decide what to do next.
services

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don’t think it would be safe to ride the bike without the stopper installed. Watch the install video specifically at the 5:40 mark showing the chain touching the stand without the stopper. I would take the stand off and take it to your mechanic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nn

so now that I know what the problem is, the problem is getting it fixed. I do not have a motorcycle jack nor am I a mechanic. Would it be safe to ride the bike approximately 5 miles to the dealership without harming anything?
I looked at the pictures again and went outside with a flashlight and it looks pretty simple so I will be tapping the broken part out and going to the shop to buy a new bolt with the rubber stopper

·
Registered
350 Posts
Consider getting a free quote from a local machine shop to remove the broken cap screw. Email them a couple of pictures and see what they say. It would probably be a ten minuet job for them. Attached is a place in Cody that may be able to do it or refer you to someone who can. It’s always cheaper and easier for them to remove them untouched. After you get a price you can weigh your options and decide what to do next.
services
Thanks for the helpful info.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Another option is to weld a small nut to the broken bolt. You weld the threads of the nut to the center of the broken bolt.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you can’t find anyone to remove it at a reasonable price attached are some good techniques to try and a center punch and torch that I have used. If you have some of it sticking out and you got it to move add lots of a penetrate like PB Blaster and let it soak. Adding some heat and then cooling it can also help. If I remember right the threaded hole goes all the way through so there is no load on the threads by being bottomed out. Spray it from the back side to and it may screw out the other end. Post a picture of it if you can.
Automatic Center Punch with Brass Handle
Butane Micro Torch

1 - 20 of 23 Posts