CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting with an 18" madstad on the ctx700 fairing version trying to get it working on the interstate 70-80mph without helmet buffeting. I have the lowers installed as well.

Can someone upload a picture of where they have their adjuster knob located along the windshield track if you are happy with air flow performance at these speeds or am I fighting a losing battle here? I know this will depend on rider height but I want a starting point that works for someone else. I have tried many different positions already.

Should I try a clip-on lip up top on the shield?

Thanks and have a good day.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I'm starting with an 18" madstad on the ctx700 fairing version trying to get it working on the interstate 70-80mph without helmet buffeting. I have the lowers installed as well.

Can someone upload a picture of where they have their adjuster knob located along the windshield track if you are happy with air flow performance at these speeds or am I fighting a losing battle here? I know this will depend on rider height but I want a starting point that works for someone else. I have tried many different positions already.

Should I try a clip-on lip up top on the shield?

Thanks and have a good day.
I have a naked CTX and my Madstad works best all the way down and tilted all the way back. Otherwise buffeting is horrible.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I echo wtom95831. Also a naked model, I tried the textbook solutions from Madstad, used a protractor app to measure angle tilt and all, and it didn't help until I put it all the way down and all the way tilted towards me. I still get some buffeting when there are cross winds. Overall I'm glad I have it. On my second ride, I noticed really bad buffeting and when I looked at the adjustment knobs, they were slowly unscrewing themselves! I was going 45 on a shoulder-less 2-lane with a big truck right behind me. I eased off the throttle and tightened them as best I could until I got home, then used a channel locks to crank them down. Others on this site have bought some stainless steel bolts, nuts, and lock washers once they found the right position. I made giving a twisty test to each knob part of my pre-ride checklist.
I'm kind of meh on the lowers being helpful.

·
Registered
434 Posts
................ at the adjustment knobs, they were slowly unscrewing themselves! ............., then used a channel locks to crank them down. ...........
Thats why blue LocTite or locknuts with the nylon inserts are always a good idea. Be careful when cranking down because too tight can cause the plexiglass to crack.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the feedback everyone and I'll try your suggestions. I do like the quality of the madstad plastic material. Bracketry is OK. There is some flex and vibration of the shield at high speeds depending on the angle but that's just how it goes.

Planning on making a ~1000mi trip next weekend from FL to IN. For now I've been running up and down I-95 making adjustments at rest stops and parking lots near the on/off ramps. I've installed a cell phone mount and SAE to USB connector and the wife is going to let me borrow a camelback for hydration that will go on top the fuel tank.

I have the lowers installed and need to see how the windshield works without them too... It's nice having lowers get the feet out of the wind and less fatigue but it gets hot in this deadzone of air. I think the lowers are more for colder conditions? I'll take some tools so I can take them on or off during the trip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone.

I made the 1100 mile trip in two days getting around 60mpg refueling and taking a break around 120 miles each time... Went pretty well. This bike seems to be love/hate for me at times but I think it's more the process of getting comfort dialled in that takes some patience. Had a few compliments on people saying they like the looks of the bike but that's probably the least important to me right now.

Here are a few highlights:
  1. Mid Pegs: Adding front pegs from my 1979 CX500 has really helped with giving the option to change seating position. I hacked off some of the footpeg inboard metal to allow them to flip-up so they're out of the way at low speeds. Much safer at low speeds and stopping compared to before when I couldn't move them.
  2. LED headlight: much better than stock but still need to lower the beam down. I'm using Auxito brand from Amazon 8,000 lumen for one bulb.
  3. Cooler: I strapped a cooler to the pillion which I can lean back against. Nice for the long haul having those iced down bottled waters in Florida/Georgia. Need to get it a little closer forward so I can reach the handlebars fully.
  4. I ended up not going with the 18" madstad windshield but left the mounting plate with the small "wings". Sitting upright I get no helmet buffeting but leaning back against the cooler I do. I am wondering if the wings are causing this or they need to be taller or it's just the design of the front fairing itself. I think this helps explain why my wife hated being on the interstate riding with me on a different day before the trip. I have a cheap clip-on winshield extender that helps keeps some of the bugs off right now but I'd like to figure out a windshield that can extend backwards closer to the rider before rising up a little.
  5. Using a crampbuster on the throttle grip.
  6. Front floorboards: I'll probably go back to footpegs up there. I just can't get comfortable with the floorboards becuase my feet want to slide off. Maybe they can be modified somehow.
  7. Ram phone mount: Didn't like it, was afraid my phone would fall out of it and I don't see the rubber band that holds the corners lasting too long. I've been using a ziplock baggie and thowing the phone in one of the cooler pockets. Didn't like the visual distraction and i can still hear directions on the bluetooth inside my helmet.
  8. There was some sporadic high speed wobble at times in the front end usually when passing semi's but not too bad. I think it's from having more weight on the back than usual.
  9. Stock suspension is a little squishy.
That's all I got for now, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts