CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a qualified, not too pricy, honest mechanic in Brooklyn.

My current mechanic is taking 10 days to change the fork seals and tires on my bike, every part in stock.

I am really hoping there is someone who cares about the customer out there.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Honestly, in this day and age, if you can find a mechanic who is competent, honest and gives a damn about whether he does the job right, you should be thrilled right there. Just expect that this person will be backlogged by all the others thanking their luck that they heard about this person. Backlogged obviously isn't a perfect indicator, we had a person in my riding group who damaged the engine in her bike and took it to a good sized shop in town. Three weeks later we got the bike back without the owner/lead mechanic even LOOKING at the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, in this day and age, if you can find a mechanic who is competent, honest and gives a damn about whether he does the job right, you should be thrilled right there. Just expect that this person will be backlogged by all the others thanking their luck that they heard about this person. Backlogged obviously isn't a perfect indicator, we had a person in my riding group who damaged the engine in her bike and took it to a good sized shop in town. Three weeks later we got the bike back without the owner/lead mechanic even LOOKING at the problem.
Thanks Steve,

Right now I am goin there for apparent 'competence', but the attitude is really rubbing me the wrong way.

I am hoping there is a decent alternative, hard to work on my bike on NYC streets!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Triboro is where a lot of my moto friends go for servicing and they are happy with it. Ive been to Speed over the years from when they were in Manhattan till they moved to the Bronx and Ive been a few times in the Bronx as well. They are super knowledgeable and can work on all sorts of things but theyre not the cheapest. But you know I have one life and I dont need to be too cheap, their price ranges are fair but not budget. Ive never had any issue with any of their servicing.

Whats your issue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Triboro is where a lot of my moto friends go for servicing and they are happy with it. Ive been to Speed over the years from when they were in Manhattan till they moved to the Bronx and Ive been a few times in the Bronx as well. They are super knowledgeable and can work on all sorts of things but theyre not the cheapest. But you know I have one life and I dont need to be too cheap, their price ranges are fair but not budget. Ive never had any issue with any of their servicing.

Whats your issue?
Thanks Jobesmirage,

My issue is more attitude and turnover. A bit on parts markup being stupidly high as well.

Good work doesn't really cover the job taking 8 days rather than 2. (As long as you can get good work in a reasonable time.) Add on upper end prices, and....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Whats your issue?
BTW..... I realized you were on one of the tutors threads I have been studying. How is that underseat mount working?

Flow, leaks, etc?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks Jobesmirage,

My issue is more attitude and turnover. A bit on parts markup being stupidly high as well.

Good work doesn't really cover the job taking 8 days rather than 2. (As long as you can get good work in a reasonable time.) Add on upper end prices, and....
I think that the parts are really expensive on the bike, like the Honda OEM parts are $. I want to replace the back left fairing piece and its impossible to find in black and even if I could find one its like $300 dollars.

·
Registered
92 Posts
BTW..... I realized you were on one of the tutors threads I have been studying. How is that underseat mount working?

Flow, leaks, etc?
Works well, I havent had too much issue with it unless I try to overfill it, since its tilted, it will not have the same amount of space to fill. In addition there was someone else who was able to get it to stand fully in the seat but it required them to put it near some electronics which I didnt like. However I think that it can be fixed by putting the tutoro inside of a plastic bag and having it be sealed... but I just thought of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Works well, I havent had too much issue with it unless I try to overfill it, since its tilted, it will not have the same amount of space to fill. In addition there was someone else who was able to get it to stand fully in the seat but it required them to put it near some electronics which I didnt like. However I think that it can be fixed by putting the tutoro inside of a plastic bag and having it be sealed... but I just thought of it.
I saw that other vertical mount as well, but next to the battery make me a bit nervous. I do have the oem saddlebags, and I think I am going to mount to that bracket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts