CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
my 2004 VFR800 had linked brakes. They worked well and I liked them.

It would be great on the ctx but no way at the cost point Honda hit with the CTX.

ABS at least is offered and some new bikes still don't even offer it at any price.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My $5500 scooter had linked brakes. Rear hand brake also applied front brake pressure. Front was all front.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brakes

I would have liked to of had ABS, but didn't want the DTS. That's why I got the 700N. Don't know why they didn't put them on the N.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I would have liked to of had ABS, but didn't want the DTS. That's why I got the 700N. Don't know why they didn't put them on the N.

The reviews in the MC magazines theorize that Honda wants to sell the DCT concept so they can recoup their investment. By only putting the ABS on the DCT models folks wanting ABS will buy the DCT.
Who knows what Honda thinks?

I have never been a fan of linked brakes. Sometimes you don't want them, for example when you are making tight u-turns on a big bike, you want to brake with the rear brake, using the clutch to determine the amount of power being applied. Having the front brake on isn't desireable. With the light weight of the CTX this isn't a big problem.....guess whatever you are used to.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have never been a fan of linked brakes. Sometimes you don't want them, for example when you are making tight u-turns on a big bike, you want to brake with the rear brake, using the clutch to determine the amount of power being applied. Having the front brake on isn't desireable. With the light weight of the CTX this isn't a big problem.....guess whatever you are used to.
Even if you have linked brakes, it would still allow you to do what you described above. If a bike has linked brakes, the "link" only applies to the hand brake lever, another words, if you press the hand brake lever, it automatically applies the front brake as well as a bit of the rear brake. But you still have the foot peg to independently operate the rear brake. Using the foot peg will not engage the front brake.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Even if you have linked brakes, it would still allow you to do what you described above. If a bike has linked brakes, the "link" only applies to the hand brake lever, another words, if you press the hand brake lever, it automatically applies the front brake as well as a bit of the rear brake. But you still have the foot peg to independently operate the rear brake. Using the foot peg will not engage the front brake.
That is not true.
On a Goldwing for example, operating the rear brake pedal causes the front brake to be applied, although not at the same strength as if you apply the front brake lever.
I am pretty sure that this is the same on most linked systems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You're right. I know of some BMW bikes with part-integral braking systems that operate as I described earlier, but I suppose that's not the norm on other bikes.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
That is not true.
On a Goldwing for example, operating the rear brake pedal causes the front brake to be applied, although not at the same strength as if you apply the front brake lever.
I am pretty sure that this is the same on most linked systems.

you are correct. Honda's version of linked brakes worked well for me on the VFR800. Apply the front brake and the back was also applied at a different rate. Apply the back brake and the front was applied at a different rate. The early VFR's has some issues but by the 2004 Honda had sorted it out quite well.

I cant speak how scooters or other bike brands do linked brakes but I know how Honda did it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts