CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out the safest and easiest way to raise or suspend the front end of my bike so that I can drop the forks to install rubber gaiters (purely for aesthetics). I cut the first set of boots I got down the seam & zip tied them back together around the forks but it looked terrible and I was not satisfied with the result. The only way I'll be happy with this mod is to loosen the forks from the triple tree to slip the boots on correctly. There's no clear way to use a standard floor jack to raise the bike off the ground this since there is no exposed frame down there, so how do we do it? I've seen videos online of people using an engine hoist and straps to raise bikes from the handlebars/any exposed frame on the sides but that doesn't seem very safe to me. I have a center stand installed and was also thinking you could put the bike on a flat jack on the center stand (still very sketchy... ) with the front wheel hanging off the front of the jack, then add weights or straps to keep the bike on the rear wheel while it's up in the air.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thanks Rebel, that is a great overview you provided.

Do you have a current recommendation for a good front triple stand? The link you provided is expired. There are a ton out there, but I only want to buy once.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you are going to drop the front forks, aren't you going to have to have the front wheel and forks free and lifted? A lot of stands use the front forks for lifting. As such there is a black widow lift and several others that do not lift by the forks.
. They are adjustable and I think on the expensive side.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If you are going to drop the front forks, aren't you going to have to have the front wheel and forks free and lifted? A lot of stands use the front forks for lifting. As such there is a black widow lift and several others that do not lift by the forks.
. They are adjustable and I think on the expensive side.
I like the adjustable one, but it does not look to be available anymore.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one will work if you want one cheap. They all pretty much work the same, cost goes up by brand like most things. However a $500 one will do about nothing different over a $50 one.

Unit Motorcycle Products B2110 Front Stem Lift Stand | eBay
Hmmm, but will this stand give me enough vertical clearance to drop the fork tubes out from the triple tree completely? I'm not too sure I can tell from looking at the description. I see its height is adjustable but will it lift the front end high enough for my needs or is it designed to relieve the front end suspension just enough to be able to do something like work on the forks from the top cap? If it is capable of doing what I need it to do, for only $65, that is tempting.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Hmmm, but will this stand give me enough vertical clearance to drop the fork tubes out from the triple tree completely? I'm not too sure I can tell from looking at the description. I see its height is adjustable but will it lift the front end high enough for my needs or is it designed to relieve the front end suspension just enough to be able to do something like work on the forks from the top cap? If it is capable of doing what I need it to do, for only $65, that is tempting.
Of course, you can completely disassemble the complete front end with it. You will of course have to remove the front wheel and take the calipers off the forks first which is no big deal, then you can drop the forks and reinstall. I do highly suggest a rear stand, center stand or somehow strap the rear down as well, otherwise the complete bike balancing on the single pin is not very stable alone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course, you can completely disassemble the complete front end with it. You will of course have to remove the front wheel and take the calipers off the forks first which is no big deal, then you can drop the forks and reinstall. I do highly suggest a rear stand, center stand or somehow strap the rear down as well, otherwise the complete bike balancing on the single pin is not very stable alone.
Alright, you've convinced me. Justified the purchase and ordered the stand you recommended, should be here in a week. I'll post photos of it in action as well as the boots once they are on. Thanks!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just got the one Rebel recommended today. It is very nice. Adjustable for height, super easy to lift. With my centerstand, it is rock soild.

Reactions: Rebel13

·
Registered
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 2018 Kawasaki X300
72 Posts
I have always preferred gaiters as opposed to the shock tubes being exposed to all sorts of insults from bugs, to rocks and rain. Having said that, what is the source for the gaiters you installed? They look very good. What do they look like when the fork is supporting the weight of you and the bike? Is that the second photo with the front wheel on the ground? I've seen some where they we really too large for the bike they were being used on and really looked it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have always preferred gaiters as opposed to the shock tubes being exposed to all sorts of insults from bugs, to rocks and rain. Having said that, what is the source for the gaiters you installed? They look very good. What do they look like when the fork is supporting the weight of you and the bike? Is that the second photo with the front wheel on the ground? I've seen some where they we really too large for the bike they were being used on and really looked it.
This mod has been on my list since I bought the bike, I'm in a quest to cover as much shininess as I can, and I'm so happy they are finally on! These are the exact ones I bought: Amazon.com: Motorcycle 39MM Harley Rubber Fork Boots"Gators""Gaiters" Covers - Fits Harley Narrow Glide Sportster 1991 - UP FXD and 1988 - UP XL - Harley Chopper Bobber Cafe Racer Triumph: Automotive Decent quality, thick rubber, and they fit perfectly both on top and bottom. A bit of wiggling to get them on initially but once in place they don't even need the zip ties that came with them to keep them there, they fit like a glove. I wonder how they will hold up to the elements as time goes on but since I store my bike in a shed they won't be exposed to that much sunlight or rain unless I'm out riding. My bike is still on the center stand in the 2nd photo but the weight is on the front wheel. They don't compress much more than that once I'm sitting on the bike (I'm about 170lbs). I do have my aux lights mounted up against the bottom of the triple tree and the top of the boots sit right below that bracket (which is about 3/8" wide), so the very top 2 fins are compressed a bit if you look from the side, but the boots are still functional and do not interfere with the placement of my lights. I agree with you about how gaiters can look off on some bikes. These are just the right size & have the right amount of fins (the ones that only have 4 or 5 look silly to me, and the ones for motocross have way too many), though they don't have drainage holes. Not a deal breaker for me but if it matters to you, you could probably punch a few small holes out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the information and the links. I just purchased the trackside front end lift and will be changing the fork oil and dust covers, a perfect time to put the gaiters on. I just thought about the dust covers, you remove them in order to put the gaiters on, correct?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the information and the links. I just purchased the trackside front end lift and will be changing the fork oil and dust covers, a perfect time to put the gaiters on. I just thought about the dust covers, you remove them in order to put the gaiters on, correct?
Nope! No need! They don't interfere with the bottom of the boots so I left them on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great, because I just ordered some new dust covers, with only 18,000 miles on a 2014 they are all cracked.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
When I had my suspension done, the guy had a block of wood that he placed on the lifting arm of a standard floor jack, placed that under the right side of the bike, and lifted, forming a triangle between the rear tire, kickstand, and jack. Plenty of room to remove the forks, and stayed that way until he was done and had it back together. No stand needed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is that either a Caprice or Cutlass Brougham Circa 1982 in the background? Looks clean judging by the fender at least.
Its a Le Sabre, unsure of the exact year, early 80's. It was my grandfathers car and is now our family's "spare" 🤣

1 - 20 of 20 Posts