CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed Honda, on a lot of their new bikes, reversed the positioning of the turn-signal controls and the horn buttons. Anyone know why they did this? I thought left hand controls were standard?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My mistake, what I meant was it seems like the downshift button is where the horn button has usually been and that the left handgrip is overcrowded. Having the paddle-shift buttons, the hazard light buttons, the turn signal buttons and the horn button all in one place is intimidating and confusing, especially for advanced riders..another reason why the CTX is a good beginner's bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not sure what to tell you. Those extra controls for the DCT had to go somewhere, and they had to be close enough so that the rider is not required to take their hand off the handlebar. I think it's a matter of getting used to, just like shifting with your thumb instead of your foot will take getting used to for some riders.

Plenty of other bikes have rather button busy handles, too...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I find myself practicing moving my thumb from the downshift paddle (where it usually rests) past the signal control and up to the horn... just so I can get to it quickly. I do this because a few of the times when I wanted to honk the horn in a situation, I couldn't find it fast enough. I find it difficult to navigate all these controls with gloves, especially between S, D and N on the dct model. Oh well. I think practice is the key. Not sure what to do about the gloves.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Take a look at a GL1800 left grip some time. Talk about busy, 10 switches IIRC. It just takes time getting used to it. I'll probably have trouble with it going from the wing to the CTX. But then again I may never get permission to ride the CTX so it won't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
My mistake, what I meant was it seems like the downshift button is where the horn button has usually been and that the left handgrip is overcrowded. Having the paddle-shift buttons, the hazard light buttons, the turn signal buttons and the horn button all in one place is intimidating and confusing, especially for advanced riders..another reason why the CTX is a good beginner's bike.

most advanced riders have many bikes under their belt and have adapted to them quite well so having more buttons on a left control would never be an issue. as far as stating the CTX is a beginner's bike as it has the qualifying "intimidating and confusing controls" is just silly and wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
holySmokes' original question is valid.

The overwhelming convention has been the LH grip has the indicator switch ABOVE the horn switch. Honda swapped them round on the VFR1200, then the VFR800X, then the NC700's and now the CTX. Don't know why they did it, anyway IMO it was a bad idea as it made them different from most other manufacturers. I have a Triumph and a Kawasaki, before that two Hondas, all these conventional. Even BMW is adopting this convention (ie. indicator switch above the horn switch). Exclude H-D from all this!

This has nothing to do with too many or too few switches cluttering up the controls.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I can see how this would be confusing for Honda-loyal customers who have become accustom to a specific layout that has been around for years. For those coming from other brands, there is going to be a learning curve regardless, and for those coming from scooters or cars--well, it's all going to seem unnatural for a while; not just the grip controls.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the convention for motorcycles (indicator above horn) applied to Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Triumph, ... don't know about Italians, and BMW is presntly adopting it, but not H-D!

So it's not just Honda loyal customers, it's the overwhelming majority ... and then Honda change it! It's common sense to keep all the basic controls standard.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It's all part of "The New World Order" conspiracy! Seriously, I understand the problem and I have been honking the horn occasionally when I meant to hit the blinker. I too, have been practicing reaching for the horn when riding to get used to it, but will probably hit the horn on the other bikes when I ride then now. D**n, I'm screwed on this one! LOL!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
most advanced riders have many bikes under their belt and have adapted to them quite well so having more buttons on a left control would never be an issue. as far as stating the CTX is a beginner's bike as it has the qualifying "intimidating and confusing controls" is just silly and wrong.
I didn't mean that the controls were the reason why you COULD consider the CTX a beginner's bike, I just meant that new drivers wouldn't mind these controls as they wouldn't be accustomed to any other setup. But you can't really argue that this scooter with DCT isn't appealing to newbie riders.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I didn't mean that the controls were the reason why you COULD consider the CTX a beginner's bike, I just meant that new drivers wouldn't mind these controls as they wouldn't be accustomed to any other setup. But you can't really argue that this scooter with DCT isn't appealing to newbie riders.

No arguing that automatic motorcycles are appealing to newbie riders. Most point out that the CTX should not be ones very first motorcycle if they have no experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've noticed Honda, on a lot of their new bikes, reversed the positioning of the turn-signal controls and the horn buttons. Anyone know why they did this? I thought left hand controls were standard?
Perhaps there should be a standard, but everybody is convinced their system is best. Just look at state laws. Most probable reason is to do with ergonomics, and how to give priority to each button in the order most useful on a now crowded bar. The horn button is press, the indicator is sideways...hard to confuse the two. The indicator is used well in advance and you have ample time to find it. I ride with a finger on the horn button if anybody is anywhere near. I'm already in my "get-away" gear by then, so no confusion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I find myself practicing moving my thumb from the downshift paddle (where it usually rests) past the signal control and up to the horn... just so I can get to it quickly. I do this because a few of the times when I wanted to honk the horn in a situation, I couldn't find it fast enough. .
i was practicing locating the horn also and then I decided to practice locating the brakes instead since I am used to a left hand rear brake and not a foot brake.

I figure that if some cheezeball pulls out in front of me, wasting time with the horn is not going to move his car out of the way, if he even hears the weak horn. The brake however might save my life.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If merchants and manufacturers can't get together and make those debit/credit card swipers standardized, I fear there is very little chance for MC OEMs to come out with an industry standard for the hand controls.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why can't people just learn how the machine they are operating functions and just adapt. This isn't rocket science. Everything isn't the same, deal with it. What can you do now to fix it? Not a whole lot with out a degree, and manufacturing resources.

Quitcherbitchen!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts