CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I previously added a Whelen LIN3light in the rear with a Skene Design controller to add visibility awareness. I decided to add some additional lighting to the front hoping to enhance visibility for both the rider and others approaching motorist. (Hoping to prevent the infamous left turn in front of the rider). I came across Mondo Motos when searching for an affordable set of fork lights to mount on my Kawasaki Concours 14. I have had them on that bike for about 1.5 years and they have been great.

I ordered the MM10 package as well as the additional handlebar mounted switch. (used the standard switch on the C14) It comes with the complete harness, lights, mounting brackets, and switch. The harness has weatherpack quick disconnects for the lights so they can be removed easily. The harness connects directly to the battery and I pulled switched power from the low beam headlight. This powers the relay and the lights.

I ran the harness under the gas tank and brought the wires up through the black cover at the steering neck. The required the removal of the Front Center Fairing Cover, Right Side Fairing, and Right Side Shelter Cover. I used the service manual and took my time. The only difficult part was assuring that I had all the required hardware removed and then releasing the clips as I pulled the panels. Putting the panels back on took about 10% of the time coming off. The install was straight forward and well worth the effort.

I do not see the optional switch listed in the drop down menu, they may be out of stock but it is pictured on the photos.
MondoMotos Motorcycle Lighting, LED Lighting and Accessories

The only additional items I purchased were longer 6mm bolts and 2 Nylon spacers from Taylor's Do It Center to space the lights away from the fender. I took a lot of pictures but will list what I felt is most relevant. I documented routing of all cables, power connections, mounting and securing of wires. If you have any specific requests I may have a photo documenting the area. Here is what I came up with.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
It is the season to hang lights. What no tinsel ?

Nice pics of your nice bike all setup the way you want.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys...The CTX is ridden mostly by my wife. Previously she had a couple Sportsters and her last bike was a Shadow 750 Aero. I think the last addition will be the Honda Rack and 37 litre Givi Top Box.

I should have things back together this afternoon and will post up the info and results.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Thanx Ceetex. I live in Lovebug country so I have to stop and clean my forks all the @#$%&@#$ time. I spotted yours right away and had to have some. Cheap investment and they do work.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a follow up to this thread, I moved the lights to the front fender bolts. The travel of the front forks caused the lights to hit the bottom of the fairing. Pics of new mountinng.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Ceetex.

Great installation!

I am installing the same lights today.

I wired the Orange wire into the headlight white wire and the lights do not work. Should I have wired it to the blue low bean circuit?

Cheers
Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm just about done with my mm10 installation and the CEETEEX pics have been very helpful. I also want to connect the power on these lights to the low beam headlight but am confused about which of the blue wires is the proper one for the connection. There are 2 blue, 1 green, and 1 white. One of the blues has a few silver stripes on it. I have the manual but still can't determine the correct wire. Can anyone help me out?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
Has anyone installed more than two of these lights?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Has anyone installed more than two of these lights?
Many states restrict the amount of additional driving lights or fog lights to 2. In all my years, I've yet to see a bike with more than 2 additional lights. Even using LED's, one has to seriously start considering the power draw and its effect on the bikes charging system if one were to add more than 2.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Those don't seem to be enough power, 10 watts to light up down the road at night. Or am I wrong? I saw the pic in their ad and it seems like it's enough but is it really enough at night?

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Those don't seem to be enough power, 10 watts to light up down the road at night. Or am I wrong? I saw the pic in their ad and it seems like it's enough but is it really enough at night?
10 w LED lights can give you extra short range lighting depending on whether they are designed as driving lights or fog/flood lights. You would need to go up to 25w + spot/driving lights to get longer distance range.

Most people mount the 10w LED's for better forward visibility. They work very well for this. They do add 20w to your electrical demands. Adding two 25w lights increases electrical demand another 50 watts. Your electrical output is finite and amounts to roughly 170 watts extra if the electrical system and battery is in good shape. One must be careful about adding too much demand on the system with accessories or lighting.

Note: Adding 25w + flood lights facing forward can actually blind on coming drivers and draw some serious LE attention. These are only for off road use because their light output cannot be directed like a driving light.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
10 w LED lights can give you extra short range lighting depending on whether they are designed as driving lights or fog/flood lights. You would need to go up to 25w + spot/driving lights to get longer distance range.

Most people mount the 10w LED's for better forward visibility. They work very well for this. They do add 20w to your electrical demands. Adding two 25w lights increases electrical demand another 50 watts. Your electrical output is finite and amounts to 170 watts if the electrical system and battery is in good shape.
I'm mainly looking to see critters on the road more than anything. Deer here are very popular roadside attractions. I'll probably also do a led headlight swap to save consumption so I can use my heated gear if and when.needed

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I'm mainly looking to see critters on the road more than anything. Deer here are very popular roadside attractions. I'll probably also do a led headlight swap to save consumption so I can use my heated gear if and when.needed
LED lighting tends to blind deer, especially HIB lighting in the 6000+ range. Make sure you use a system that can be switched from low/ high beam and never use any kind of high beam when ever furry four legged critters are about.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts