CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching high and low on the forum to see if anyone has posted this method before, here goes:

While I was attempting to install the spring back as it was originally, I thought what if the adapter was turned 180 degrees (upside down) without using the spring at all. After doing so, it does not fold and has only a little bit of play. It seems to have no effect on the alignment of the floorboards. A very easy fix for the on going dilemma.

If someone wanted to do so, a very thin shim could be inserted vertically on one side of the adapter to take out the small amount of play. I did not have anything at that moment but haven’t noticed any problem since while riding.

I hope that this makes sense.

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
869 Posts
By doing so, you now run the risk of high siding on the floorboard in a tight turn. That is why they are designed to fold...

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I couldn't get that danged spring back in there to save my soul. Gave up. If I hit a very tight low side turn, the board will flip up a bit as it is. It will give some, not as freely as with the spring but it does. The weight of my foot will keep it down when straightedge back up. Works for me just fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was able to bend the spring to fit in the smaller space. floorboards still foley's up and are under spring tension. not hard to do. didn't even register as an issue to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
I couldn't get that danged spring back in there to save my soul. Gave up. If I hit a very tight low side turn, the board will flip up a bit as it is. It will give some, not as freely as with the spring but it does. The weight of my foot will keep it down when straightedge back up. Works for me just fine.
Gravity is our friend. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
By doing so, you now run the risk of high siding on the floorboard in a tight turn. That is why they are designed to fold...
The floorboards still have the fold up which Kuryakyn designed but you are saying that without the folding at the adapter to bike connection it could cause high siding in a tight turn. I don't want to be unsafe. Safety is number one to me and I wouldn't want to propose anything unsafe to anyone else.🐴

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
578 Posts
The floorboards still have the fold up which Kuryakyn designed but you are saying that without the folding at the adapter to bike connection it could cause high siding in a tight turn. I don't want to be unsafe. Safety is number one to me and I wouldn't want to propose anything unsafe to anyone else.🐴
As long as you can flip the boards up by hand, I can't see an issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The floorboards function as they were designed, it's the connection where the original foot peg was attached that doesn't fold when using this method. I did finally find a post from a couple of years ago that described doing this and even talked about using a shim just like I did. I'm just repeating myself, sorry.
On my latest ride while testing my Utopia backrest, my knees were too high to tuck in under the fairing. Ordered the 2" offsets by Kuryakyn. These are going to make the floorboards stick out even more. Maybe now I will reconsider reversing the splined adapter's orientation. I was originally concerned about the assembly hitting against the side of the bike when (if) the whole thing folds up in a deep angle incident.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts