CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 22.5K miles on my DCT, ever since I've had it I would hear a "klunk" when shutting off the ignition. I have always used the N, kickstand, parking brake, ignition off sequence. Sometimes I won't hear it, most times I do. The bike runs fine otherwise, I think it's just the hydraulics dropping and releasing the clutch. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am a short timer here having only had my bike for about a month but the one time I heard that was when I shut down while still in drive. Lesson learned and now make sure it is in Neutral before turning off the key. When I follow that procedure I do not really hear anything like that. Then again I usually still have my helmet on.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If intermittent, than maybe you aren't actually in Neutral. Take your time, put in N and pay attention to confirm it, wait a few seconds, then turn the key off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll pay closer attention to my shutdown procedure. Will post in a few days with results.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still have the sound. I am sure I have putting it in neutral before shut down. Neutral-kickstand down-parking park on- turn of key to off. I've had the bike since Dec of 2016. It doesn't affect the ride or performance, I'm just wondering if anyone else hears it too or if anyone knows what it may be.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
54 Posts
Suggestions - When switched to neutral before shutting off the ignition, check occasionally to see if it is actually in neutral by slightly turning the throttle. Also, try rocking your bike back and forth before shutting off the ignition to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done all that, it is in N.
I have to park my bike so I can raise the garage door. It's in N, kickstand down and Parking brake on. Then I put it back in D, drop brake, put up kickstand and drive about 5 feet into the garage. Then N-kickstand down-parking brake on- turn key off- then I hear the Klunk. I think it's the dropping of the oil pressure for the linear solenoid valve when shutting down. Bike runs fine so I think it's just the nature of the DCT.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
54 Posts
Bike runs fine so I think it's just the nature of the DCT.
I've paid a little more attention to the noises when I shut down. Mine also makes a klunking sound when turning off the ignition. Not real loud but definitely noticeable. The klunking is probably normal and nothing to be concerned about if the bike operates okay otherwise.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Mine also made a clunking sound. Not a problem. As the engine winds down, in stop the clunk occurs. Actually nice to check that it was in neutral. Also notice the same on any other CTX, seems to be normal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts