CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it’s early but, in reality, 6 months goes by pretty fast. Just a heads up that there will be a gathering of the CTX minds in late January, 2021 in Kissimmee, Florida.
All are invited! Last January was a great meet up but we could use a few more participants. we discussed this as a group and the consensus was to have a more centralized location for the next session. Having said that, this Covid thing is still rearing it’s ugly head but I’m going full steam ahead and planning like it doesn’t exist. We can make adjustments as necessary.
Input in always welcome, so please chime in with your thoughts.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Good luck. California just shut down again in time for the 4th. No beaches, bars, or restaurants.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck. California just shut down again in time for the 4th. No beaches, bars, or restaurants.
Thank you for that!
Throughout this whole ordeal I have stayed positive, even through my 2 week quarantine when I returned to Canada from my winter home in Georgia last March.
I’m full steam ahead with my plans to winter in Kissimmee including booking specific Disney events and, yes, the CTX meet.
The one thing I’m waiting for now is the borders to reopen. Otherwise, it’s all a go!

Glenn

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Thank you for that!
Throughout this whole ordeal I have stayed positive, even through my 2 week quarantine when I returned to Canada from my winter home in Georgia last March.
I’m full steam ahead with my plans to winter in Kissimmee including booking specific Disney events and, yes, the CTX meet.
The one thing I’m waiting for now is the borders to reopen. Otherwise, it’s all a go!

Glenn
I would check on Disney. Last I heard they are closed till 2021, not sure of the month they will open. I'm with you, this COVID is screwing up everything. Now have to call ahead to see if a store is open that day. Here they are open one day, and shut down the next. I was planning a trip to Toronto until Trudeau decided to intern everyone coming into the country for 14 days at one of their deluxe military encampments or guarded hotels. Then of course on the return another 14 days in self isolation. That's an entire month locked up. Not for me.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I would check on Disney. Last I heard they are closed till 2021, not sure of the month they will open. I'm with you, this COVID is screwing up everything. Now have to call ahead to see if a store is open that day. Here they are open one day, and shut down the next. I was planning a trip to Toronto until Trudeau decided to intern everyone coming into the country for 14 days at one of their deluxe military encampments or guarded hotels. Then of course on the return another 14 days in self isolation. That's an entire month locked up. Not for me.
Not sure you could get in even with the quarantine. Some are coming in, saying that they are driving to Alaska (apparently a negotiated condition), but few are actually doing that. I wouldn't hold my breath on much opening of the border in the near future.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the websites, Disney World is reopening July 11, 2020. That’s a week away. It’s not necessarily great news but it’s a start, I suppose.
Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I, personally, had a good time at the event in Tarpon Springs this past January, and would normally be ready to commit to another next year, especially in Kissimmee, where we rent a house for our annual sales meeting. But... the company that brings us to FL for the big event, has not decided fi they want to risk it. Last year they brought over 15,000 employees, and we had over 1500 vendors to that company. Other big events are also cancelling too. I'm not traveling anywhere until the numbers drop significantly, and/or a vaccine is tested, and released. If I have to travel 6 hours in a packed plane, wearing a face covering (at my age, I'll be wearing a full respirator) I'm out of there.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
I, personally, had a good time at the event in Tarpon Springs this past January, and would normally be ready to commit to another next year, especially in Kissimmee, where we rent a house for our annual sales meeting. But... the company that brings us to FL for the big event, has not decided fi they want to risk it. Last year they brought over 15,000 employees, and we had over 1500 vendors to that company. Other big events are also cancelling too. I'm not traveling anywhere until the numbers drop significantly, and/or a vaccine is tested, and released. If I have to travel 6 hours in a packed plane, wearing a face covering (at my age, I'll be wearing a full respirator) I'm out of there.
Yes, the Tarpon gathering was worth the effort. But to your point about the packed plane, keep in mind that the HEPA filtration systems in a typical aircraft can make a complete air change approximately 15 to 30 times per hour, or once every two to four minutes. The "neck gaiters" mentioned above will be all you'd need. I just ordered a couple of the ones with the mouth holes for Karen & I so we don't get handcuffed when we are out, but can still breath easy.:cool:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hepa filters remove dust, and some bacteria , not virus. You need a laminar flow unit and that costs several 100,000 per unit. The airlines are trying to recover with a lot of false information like advertising. And then there is the 14 day isolation that keeps popping up when flying into a state. You can no longer predict which state will be open or isolated by the time you fly. I will not be flying anywhere until sanity returns. Of course they are no longer giving earphones, blankets, pillows or any snacks even. Flying which had become increasingly uncomfortable has just gone up several notches. They also will cancel flights if there are not enough passengers to make the flight "profitable" So smaller planes, "closer seating" are currently flying. And on top of that, they are worried what will happen in the fall, when flues hit, and covid is still around. At this time it seems to me to be a good way to get into trouble. I can wait till things return to normal, if they ever do.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Disney World has reopened, being one of the last theme parks In the area to do so.
in the last few days I thought long and hard about my wintering plans and what direction I’ll take. The conclusion is I’m going to go full steam ahead with my Kissimmee plans even if it means I’ll be alone at the meeting spot, wherever that may be.
I truly understand the concerns of many and I do take the Covid thing seriously. I WILL don a mask but I WILL NOT stay in a shell. We can only be protected so much and we still need to live. Plus, I hate snow and -40 degree weather.
I just want to say these are my views and I only speak for myself. I harbour no I’ll will or animosity towards those of different opinions.

Glenn

Reactions: TLeventry

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that didn’t take long since I started this thread! It’s with a heavy heart and lots of considering and soul searching that I decided to cancel my Florida winter adventure. There’s just too many unknowns. The Covid thing is going crazy, the Canada/US border is remaining closed, the political system in both countries is very unstable and the “natives are restless”. The last part is me being facetious but it’s all about Covid. So if there is going to be a meetup, it’ll have to be someone else organizing. I would have loved doing it.
Will be in touch,

Glenn

Reactions: Daddy Dave

·
Registered
944 Posts
Why don't you fly east to the banana belt down near Windsor? Several of us could join you for some rides in SW Ontario! Just don't go near any farms around Leamington.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
My January sales meeting in Orlando is officially cancelled, as is the March event there, along with a huge event in Las Vegas the first week of February. Nobody want to commit to 5,000 hotel rooms when we don't know if anything will be open or not. Postponed until 2022. But it ain't just happening here in the USA. I'm part of the O'Malley Clan Association, and they hold an annual gathering in Mayo, in July. This years event (next weekend) will be "Online" only. Thanks to these wonderful programs like Zoom, MS Teams, and others, we might not be together, but we can still have the spirit (especially with an ample supply of Guinness, and a jug of Jameson's).

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Don't worry about it. Nothing is stable at this time. I expect Disney will close again with Covid in Florida. It will be too expensive for them to maintain with limited access, and very possibly no customers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts