CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I leave a spare key in the gas cap; one that I cut it down in size and added a knob on the top for easy twisting. The short key can't be used to start the engine.
My bike only ever resides either in my garage or outside a lunch spot. So... I am not worried too much about tampering with my gas. My Ford Edge has the gas fill with no protection at all and I love it. Just flip open the gas lid and insert the pump. Of course no other liquid can be added without a special adapter to make a funnel. But back to the quote above. Are you saying take a copy key and cut about a half an inch off the tip (as opposed to the head)?? and use it left in the gas cap?? I would certainly try that. Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
All our vehicles including our bikes are always behind lock and key and always garaged kept, For insurance reasons it is a requirement on all our policies when not in use. Most times where I live they require that you pay for your gas first before pumping, So I always just unlock it stick the key in my pocket and then just go and pay for the gas, Never do I leave the key in the bike if even just for a minute, Just my habit I always put

the key in my pocket. As for the cap itself I put paper towel or a rag under it, I do not want anything touching my paint on the bike and when I fill up I take caution to make sure not one drip of gas gets in the cap housing either, I just like everything clean without any kind of a gas smell too, Just the way I am, Yes I am picky like that, If it cost money always appreciate it. I never worry about someone waiting, Many times I half to wait on them also. >:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I leave a spare key in the gas cap; one that I cut it down in size and added a knob on the top for easy twisting. The short key can't be used to start the engine.
My bike only ever resides either in my garage or outside a lunch spot. So... I am not worried too much about tampering with my gas. My Ford Edge has the gas fill with no protection at all and I love it. Just flip open the gas lid and insert the pump. Of course no other liquid can be added without a special adapter to make a funnel. But back to the quote above. Are you saying take a copy key and cut about a half an inch off the tip (as opposed to the head)?? and use it left in the gas cap?? I would certainly try that. Thanks
Never mind, I answered my own question when I rode today. I can see that only part of the tip is needed to open the gas cap. So, I will use a marker to mark 1/2 inch above where it sticks out of the gas cap, cut at the line, and then as stated, find some kind of head to add to the key. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get a drill with at least a 1/4 bit. No bigger that a 7/16 or maybe 3/8 drill out the lock remove the tabs and put the cap back it may be a little loose but will be okay

·
Registered
42 Posts
Get a drill with at least a 1/4 bit. No bigger that a 7/16 or maybe 3/8 drill out the lock remove the tabs and put the cap back it may be a little loose but will be okay
I doubt it’s that sophisticated, but, many systems now days require a positive seal at the filler-cap for the emissions system to function properly. I’d be leery of doing something that interferes with a positive seal.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Spare key could be used to start the bike too, so it might not be a good idea to leave one in the filler cap.
Replaced my cap with a honda OEM (seal was weak letting vapor out when parked after a hot ride). It comes with two keys that are NOT keyed to the ignition anymore.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts