CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any old threads about this so here goes. Anybody put a keyless gas cap on their CTX? I fill up every day due to commute distance and I don't like messing with the key every time. I replaced the cap on my Suzuki Burgman with a keyless one and it's been fantastic. I found an HTT model for many Honda models, but the CTX isn't specifically listed. I'm down the rabbit hole of cross referencing the OEM CTX cap with the OEM version of one of the HTT compatible models.

Thanks in advance for any input and I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had my locksmith make a spare key. I keep in my wallet. So when I pull out the debit card to swipe I pull out the key and remove the cap while the pump is processing my debit info. By the time I place the cap on top of pump it’s usually ready to begin pumping.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I did see somebody on the Kawisaki forum that got one, but that required also replacing the ring attached to the tank. Of course nothing like that is available on the CTX. The poster that mentioned a spare key made me think. As you are obviously are not worried about the gas tank being accessible to anybody, perhaps you could get a spare key and just leave it in the lock on the current gas cap. I think it would fit underneath the plastic cover that you pull up. Then you would not have to mess with the key that is in the ignition and could just open the gas cap as you wish. Just an idea.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I did see somebody on the Kawisaki forum that got one, but that required also replacing the ring attached to the tank. Of course nothing like that is available on the CTX. The poster that mentioned a spare key made me think. As you are obviously are not worried about the gas tank being accessible to anybody, perhaps you could get a spare key and just leave it in the lock on the current gas cap. I think it would fit underneath the plastic cover that you pull up. Then you would not have to mess with the key that is in the ignition and could just open the gas cap as you wish. Just an idea.
Spare key could be used to start the bike too, so it might not be a good idea to leave one in the filler cap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
"Spare key could be used to start the bike too, so it might not be a good idea to leave one in the filler cap."
Thanks Daddy D. You are right. I hereby withdraw my previous suggestion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Am I missing something here? Is it really that big a deal to take the key out of the ignition and put it back after you're done fueling? What an ordeal!

Yes. My ring only has 3 keys plus a bottle opener on it, but it's a pain in the butt to deal with it everyday, especially wearing gloves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I leave a spare key in the gas cap; one that I cut it down in size and added a knob on the top for easy twisting. The short key can't be used to start the engine.
The filler gas cap only uses the first half inch of the OEM key. Where as the ignition uses the whole inch and a quarter.

What kind of knob did you add? I ordered a used cap & key on eBay and I'm going to do the same thing. I've been kicking around different ideas on what to put on top of the cut down key to make it easy to twist with gloves on. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Am I missing something here, Is anyone thinking about bike theft? Leaving a key is the gas cap is an excellent way for a bike thief to steal your bike!

·
Registered
828 Posts
What kind of knob did you add? I ordered a used cap & key on eBay and I'm going to do the same thing. I've been kicking around different ideas on what to put on top of the cut down key to make it easy to twist with gloves on. Thanks!

Any radio or amplifier knob will do.

When you go to cut the key. Install it first in the gas cap and then add enough key length to go all the way through the knob.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not sure I see the point here. I just got back from a 4000 km trip through the Maritmes and eastern states. Some days I ended up filling up 3 times in a day. Pull up , off with the helmet, sunglasses, gloves. Pull key out of ignition (CTX key plus 2 shad keys), unlock the gas cap, place gas cap with keys attached to molded spot just north of gas tank opening, grab nozzles, and fill. Replace nozzle, replace cap, keys back into ignition, helmet back on, sunglasses back on, gloves, back on, turn on bike and drive away.....

Of course, when I went in to pay for gas inside or to use the washroom I would open top box and place gloves and glasses, and when back to the bike, would often leave keys hanging from top box and have to remember to go back and get them. Ah, the signs of age, too many miles or some other thing.

Personally, although the gas tank is small, I like the idea of keeping it locked. I don't expect anyone to take fuel out, but I do worry about someone putting something INTO the tank.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you like the idea of leaving a key in the gas cap, it would be safer to exchange gas caps and a key with another CTX owner so the gas cap key does not work in the ignition. But really, all the ideas mentioned seem like a lot of trouble for a little convenience.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Am I missing something here? Is it really that big a deal to take the key out of the ignition and put it back after you're done fueling? What an ordeal!
I guess a lot of it depends on what else you have to dig through to pull out payment information, whether your gloves lay nicely on the tank, etc.
The only things on my MC key-ring are my gas club bar-code and my CTX700 key. It's easier to get the club card from there than from my phone App or sorting through wallet cards. After I scan that the key is in my hand to pop the cap and set it in the CTX cap-holder by the mini-glove box. Get CC from wallet in jeans pocket, all done fairly smooth.

Now my wife has issues getting a slushy while I'm filling. I could hand her my card, but she wants her purse and the side box needs the key that's stuck in the cap. Once she gets that we have to fake locking the side box to re-open the gas cap. When we're done we have to use the key to re-lock her purse in the side-bag.

No, Honda did NOT think this through very well at all. If only the keys could remove and let the lids and caps snap locked without a key. They could excuse themselves for preventing someone locking a key in the bag, but the tank?? There's no reason for that.

I'm guessing we could carry the cap into Napa, Auto-Zone or Advanced Auto and compare seal and threads to cheap replacement caps. It only needs to seal correctly and hold on for pressure and Cat. to function correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The used key and gas cap arrived over the weekend. I'm thinking either half a golf ball or a hammer extension from a lever-action rifle as my knob. I'm not any more worried about someone putting something in my tank than I am about someone putting something in my car's gas tank, which doesn't have a keyed cap.

I realize this is at most a minor inconvenience in my life, I'm not curing cancer here. If I can end this little annoyance and enjoy riding a little bit more, why wouldn't I?

I'm doing this mod because:
* I want to
* I can
* I enjoy this kind of tinkering
* It's my bike
* It's not dangerous

1 - 20 of 31 Posts