CTX 700 Forum banner

Key In Ignition "Key Ring"

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike a common automobile (cage), a group of keys on a key ring in the ignition of motorcyles can cause alot of cosmetic damage. It has been common that people use a single key with a rubber key ring attachment. Most of these rubber key rings are actually given away for free from dealers or from various other places and events. The question is, what do you do, is your ring just composed of the cycle key alone or is it up to a bunch of keys?

This just involves the time when your key is in the ignition. When it is out and if you add it to another ring, carabiner etc. is not important here.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
howdy, my key remains in the ignition as it is parked in the garage. it is alone without any ring or anything, just the key. when i arrive at destination, it goes in my pocket on its own not on a ring. the top trunk key goes in the top trunk and stays there anytime the trunk is unlocked and i have to use it to lock the trunk so then it goes in my pocket alone as well. the rest of my keys are on the auto remote which stays in my pocket since i don't need to put a key in the ignition to start the car or use it to unlock the doors. it's the simplest set-up i've ever had and easiest on the pocket as well.

ken

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I have the cycle key, the hard bags key and the top case key. They are on a "Honda" soft key ring and when in the ignition are pretty protected by the fairing from rattling around.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My key is alone on an old Honda Rider Club heavy plastic key ring. (Remember those with the code number so if you lose them, they find their way back to you?) ;) It doesn't flap in the wind much.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just the key. No ring or other keys. When I go look at a used bike, I cannot express how much I HATE seeing where some doofus let a bunch of keys rattle around and scratch up around the ignition. It's so simple and easily avoidable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have my key on a single ring, by itself, which is attached to my other keys with a quick-release. When I'm riding, I pop the motorcycle key off of the collection.

You can find it on Amazon.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a rubber coil ring I use and attached is my ignition key and my top case key. Really, a few possible, but unlikely, scratches on my bike don't bother me in the least. I have this relatively inexpensive bike to have fun on not to showcase. It is all about having fun. I got over the "scratched Car (bike) phobia a long time ago.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
I have a rubber coil ring I use and attached is my ignition key and my top case key. Really, a few possible, but unlikely, scratches on my bike don't bother me in the least. I have this relatively inexpensive bike to have fun on not to showcase. It is all about having fun. I got over the "scratched Car (bike) phobia a long time ago.
Yep, it's like buying a new car, people won't stop trying to put a door dent in it till it has at least one dent. Then they leave it alone.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just the key. No ring or other keys. When I go look at a used bike, I cannot express how much I HATE seeing where some doofus let a bunch of keys rattle around and scratch up around the ignition. It's so simple and easily avoidable.
Yeah, like this:

I use to just use the key alone. However, I have left the key in the ignition so many times and was also easy to misplace it that I had to do something about it. I now use streamers, each bike has a different one that doubles for quick identification and locating. I still leave the key in the ignition from time to time, but happens much more rarely compared to before.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Motorcycle key, house key and tiny little LED flashlight in red Honda plastic key fob. I tend to lose a single key without anything attached. All my vehicles have their own set of keys on a key ring to avoid having to carry a whole pocket full of keys. I also ride at night so the LED comes in handy. Have one of some sort on all my key rings.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I keep my ignition key along with my top case key on my ring. I even still have my first top case key on it for a total of 3. My keys don't move at all when I ride. I find this bike so smooth that the everything just stays where it is while riding.

Reactions: Merlin III

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Motorcycle key, top case key, attached to carabineer with my rubber fob that the dealer gave them to me on. Doesn't seem to flop around with the full faring. If I don't have a carabineer on my key(s) I've been known to leave the key in the bike which always annoys me. Like jfc77320 each of my vehicles have their own key ring. We've switched to electronic locks so I don't carry a house key. Most of our bikes have their own garage door transmitter wired in as well. I've got one for the CTX but haven't gotten around to mounting it yet. I really should get do that.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Simple lanyard on a key ring at the key end, and I loop the lanyard to a little clip I put on the windscreen support [Puig]. It has a "quick connect" half on that lanyard, so all the other keys I carry are in my pocket. When I dismount, I pop the removed key onto the bigger keyring which has the other end of the quick connect.

Ace Hardware for the quick connect; a few bucks, and no scratches 22,000 miles later.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Single key with a small lanyard made of Fire Hose, as seen here:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Single key ring with motorcycle key, top case key, cubby lock key, office front door key, office inner door key, and house key. So I scratch up the front of the handlebars - big deal... :) It goes with the dirt paintjob! :D

Reactions: Devilsfan
1 - 20 of 23 Posts