CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my red 700D. This is my first big bike. I've been riding a PCX 150 for about a year and I am very glad I waited for the DCT version. It has definitely made my transition a lot simpler. I noticed the Drive mode shifts up a bit early (6th gear at 40 mph). I understand this helps with the fuel economy. The Sport mode holds the gears a bit longer. The Manual mode is definitely the most fun. I rode it 50 miles tonight and I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face. The fairings definitely reduce the wind and road noise. I have the stock short windshield and it keeps the buffeting only to my head. I'm 5'9". Didn't notice it on my arms or chest. I didn't have my face shield on because this summer has been a bit warm here in KC. I need to make a note to put it back on when I ride it on the highway next time. I rode it up to 70 mph and still had lots of room to go. One thing I noticed is the fuel gauge dropped a bit this first day. Not used to seeing that since I get about 107 mpg on my PCX 150. Hope this gets better over time. Well that's all for now. I want to thank all of you who have posted about your CTX's. It has certainly helped me with my decision. Hope this helps someone in return. Peace and ride safe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
yep, Vquiason, you got that new bike smile. Great picture of you and your new bike. Welcome to the forum.

If you can, next time you hit 70 with your helmet and face shield on, how severe is the buffeting. Most sport bike riders find the wind level is ok as the lower windshields are good to reduce wind stress on upper body and arms but what hits the helmet is not too bad (sort of like a naked bike). When I think of buffeting I think of shaking to an uncomfortable level more like hard vibrating. Which level do you think it is?

As far as fuel guage, my first marker goes away pretty fast, the mid ones stay on the gage longer. I fill to when second bar just has gas over one end. I am getting 67 to 75 right now with manual version naked ctx700n

·
Registered
26 Posts
Picked up mine as well today. I did find a little buffeting at high speeds and had to close my face shield. The heated grips don't get very warm. I did have a little tail bone fatigue after a bit of riding. The transmission works differently than my 750 Hondamatic. The torque in standard drive is not too strong but in sport mode it's a big improvement. I found the shifting to be a little loud, even through my helmet it was very noticeable, full face Shoei Neotec. I went through 2 bars on the gas gauge after 50 miles. I'm taking it on a 400 mile round trip this weekend to get the oil changed prior to heading to Sturgis next Friday. The seat removal is a bit of a trick and takes some practice.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
To release the seat, I open the latch with the key and slip one hand underneath to keep the latch from closing. Smack the top of the seat with your other hand at the point where the seat transitions from rider to passenger. The first time was annoying. No problem after a couple iterations. The parking brake also loosens up after some usage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
To release the seat, I open the latch with the key and slip one hand underneath to keep the latch from closing. Smack the top of the seat with your other hand at the point where the seat transitions from rider to passenger. The first time was annoying. No problem after a couple iterations. The parking brake also loosens up after some usage.
Parking brake. This bike comes with one? :confused:

·
Registered
975 Posts
Congratulations Vquiason and Jkrooke and thanks for sharing your observations so far!

To Jk...Have you ridden with both the stock screen and tall screen? I'm considering getting the tall screen upon delivery of my new bike, which is not yet at the dealer (bike or windshield). I see that the list price is pretty reasonable for the tall screen. If I can get a discount upon purchase, I may still opt for it, but if not, I'll probably wait it out a while to find out if I really think I need it. Looks like you're pretty tall from the picture. May be more necessary for you than for me. I'm 5'8 and short in the torso for my height. My inseam is almost 31.

To vquiason...Good report on the fairing. Thanks! Please keep your observations coming as you do more highway riding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Good to know those fuel bars drop the way they do. Regarding highway winds, not sure if it is too much. I get way more noise and buffeting on my PCX which I top out at about 65 mph. It gets a bit squirlly then. I will let you know if I choose to go for taller windscreen. Right now I'm thinking to just leave it alone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Congratulations gentlemen, nice riding gear too!
The parking brake is only on the DCT bikes.
The transmission automatically goes to neutral when shut down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Greg, I did ride the N a bit prior but not a freeway speeds. The windshield does block a lot of wind. I notice the wind that comes around the fairing a lot on my arms and top of my head. When I had my helmet open it was like a sail over 45 mph. The strangest part for me was getting use to my feet being forward when I jumped on this from my other bike. I'm also still trying to get the best foot position to not rest or accidentally press the brake because the brake is forward and not down like my other motorcycle. I'm about 6 feet tall so that may cause my issues with feet and wind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations Jbrooke. You're quite a bit taller than I am and my inseam is 30". I did find the forward foot position new for riding. As the speed got up, my feet felt like it wanted to come off the pegs because the pant leg may be working as a sail. I found that hugging the tank with my knees helped keep my feet on the pegs. The foot brake was new to me too since the scoot has the rear brake on the left hand. Didn't take long to get used to it though. Happy riding. Sadly, I'm off to St. Louis this weekend so I won't be riding till Sunday evening:( Peace and ride safe.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I was learning to ride for the second time today being a scooter-only rider until now. The bike I've been trying to learn on is a Yamaha Cruiser-type 1100. I've been on it only twice; one month apart, so I'm still very novice.

The 1100 has a very cramped position compared to the CTX, because one's feet sit up high and slightly forward, instead of low like on the CTX, but the grip position is a little more comfortable for longer rides than I believe the CTX will be as they slant only slightly outward in one's hands. The primary riders seat on this bike slants downward from both the front and the rear and that drop off from the rear causes my pants to ride up tightly on my crotch. I'm not liking the seat on that bike for that reason. One thing I noticed this time was the it tuns about 4000 RPM at around 62 mph in top gear; faster than the CTX turns at highway speeds. That's kind of cool considering the 400 extra ccs in that Yamaha.

I noticed also that the rear brake seems to be hard to stay off of for a newbie like me. It's a funny contraption if one is used to the bicycle-style method of braking like is on most scooters. I too find it hard to stay ready to use the rear brake, and at the same time, keep my right foot off of it. Much more intuitive I think to cover both brakes in anticipation of using them with a right and left hand brake, but I guess that's partly because most of us learned to ride that style of bicycle a long time ago.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Much more intuitive I think to cover both brakes in anticipation of using them with a right and left hand brake, but I guess that's partly because most of us learned to ride that style of bicycle a long time ago.
I agree Greg. I'm going to move the back brake to the left bar to eliminate the remaining CTX foot control due to medical necessity. Not all my body parts are original anymore, so no point keeping the bike stock. I've ridden a Bergy 650 and it's easy to get used to the left hand being the brake. The Integra 700 Scoot/Bike is set up like this, so it means you use all Honda parts. Also the bars will look symmetrical and you will have more options to move the foot pegs or replace them with running boards to suit each individuals riding style. Only problem might be that the hand-brake has to go. Just means fitting the centre-stand, even if as claimed it will be a bit of a lift. I'm too old for that now, but I've heaved many a heavy bike up when younger and fitter, like most of you guys are now. Anyway, every problem is just an opportunity to find the solution. Just as an aside, I've had a few scoots along the way, the most recent was a brand new Italjet Dragster 180cc. What a little rocketship! Easy to waste unsuspecting bigger bikes at the lights, but I gave it to my sister before I did something stupid. Also had a brief affair with a Fuji Rolla-matic a long time ago, probably the original mega-scoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts