CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally able to talk to John for about a half hour this afternoon.

John is having some very serious health issues, and will neither be able to ride again, or to participate in the forum again, at least in the position of moderator. He did want me to let members know that he has instructed his daughter to issue refunds to the members who have ordered brackets from him. At his request, I'm not going to go into the particulars of his health, but I do want to let you know that he is getting a lot of very advanced treatments, and his care providers have a positive outlook. Even so, I ask you to keep him in your prayers, as he certainly will be in mine.

We talked about the brackets, and I got his permission to seek another supplier. The current fabricator only wanted to do business with John. There is an issue with the fact that the fabricator obtained a design copyright, so some modifications may be needed to avoid any legal problems. I will try to keep them as close to John's original design as possible. This will take a little time to get going, so I'm not sure I can deliver a product to those who were expecting them in short order. Please PM me and we can discuss off the board.

I've notified the other moderator, Rebel13, and the Forum Administrator. They already have their hands very full taking care of this site. As I previously stated on another thread, there is an immense amount of highly technical work that goes on behind the scenes and we are privileged to have a couple people who work so hard to take care of it.

I'll keep the Forum informed of any changes to John's situation. Please pray, he really needs it.

All the best,

Dave

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thank you, Dave, for the info and for what is clearly your loving concern for a friend.:| I believe everyone who has been on here for any length of time, shares a deep concern along with our Best Hopes & Wishes for John.0:)
Also, thank you on behalf of our members for your effort to assist regarding John's "trademark" saddlebag brackets which many have benefited by.
God Speed your recovery, John...we all are connected.

Thanx, also to Rebel13 & our Administrator.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for your efforts Dave and I wish John all the best in his recovery. If it helps, I have custom made brackets. I made a pattern out of thin aluminum roof flashing and took it to a local metal supplier and asked if they knew anyone who could cut and bend 3/16 steel to reproduce the pattern. They directed me to a business that does architectural steel fabrication. The guy initially was not interested because they were so busy with other money making projects until I explained my issues with my left arm and how I had to ride an automatic bike that they don’t make any accessories like saddle bag brackets for. I think showing him the bike and never discussing how much they would cost bought me some good will.

These are very simple and basic to make as you can see from the pictures and were perfectly sheared and bent exactly like my pattern. I asked him at the time if he was interested in making more of them and he said “NO”!!! I think he did them after hours when he had time just to help me out. I asked how much he wanted for them after they were finished and he said $40.00 so I gave him $60.00 for his effort. It took some work to align and drill the holes, prep and paint them.

“In the United States, a design patent is a form of legal protection granted to the ornamental design of a functional item”. Put four holes in it instead of one in the center and ornamentally it looks different than Johns in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks for the info Dave.

John:

My best wishes and thoughts for you and your family for the best possible outcome.

While it is probably the last thing on your mind right now, I hope you are able to at least check in with us here in the near future.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Prayers out to JFC. When I decided to get rid of my 2014 CTX 1300D for a CTX 700 fairing and DCT I came here looking for advice. John had some great info for me. After getting my brackets from him. I then decided to basically copy his CTX. I put on the Bestem 2012's for side bags and the 920 for the top box. Hooked up all the lights and away I went. Much respect to John for the help he provides on the forum. Get better soon.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Thanks for your efforts Dave and I wish John all the best in his recovery. If it helps, I have custom made brackets. I made a pattern out of thin aluminum roof flashing and took it to a local metal supplier and asked if they knew anyone who could cut and bend 3/16 steel to reproduce the pattern. They directed me to a business that does architectural steel fabrication. The guy initially was not interested because they were so busy with other money making projects until I explained my issues with my left arm and how I had to ride an automatic bike that they don’t make any accessories like saddle bag brackets for. I think showing him the bike and never discussing how much they would cost bought me some good will.

These are very simple and basic to make as you can see from the pictures and were perfectly sheared and bent exactly like my pattern. I asked him at the time if he was interested in making more of them and he said “NO”!!! I think he did them after hours when he had time just to help me out. I asked how much he wanted for them after they were finished and he said $40.00 so I gave him $60.00 for his effort. It took some work to align and drill the holes, prep and paint them.

“In the United States, a design patent is a form of legal protection granted to the ornamental design of a functional item”. Put four holes in it instead of one in the center and ornamentally it looks different than Johns in my opinion.
Yesterday @Daddy Dave and spoke at some length about a re-design & re-boot on the saddle bag brackets. He is sending me a template of the changes he made to the JFC brackets he modified and I'll put those together with mine.

This week I'm going over to the vendor I've used in the past (i.e., for my manual CTX heel shifter arms) to see what it would take to start producing them here.

Windbag that I am, I'll keep you all informed on the status.
:)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sorry to hear about John's health problems. When we are young we hear "It's better to be poor and healthy than to be rich and sick" and all think "Oh, bull poop, if you have enough money you can get your health problems fixed." Then you get to be old and have serious health problems and you find out that no matter how much money you have, most serious health problems can't be fixed.

As someone with some serious health problems, I can empathize with John and yes, health problems suck.

As far as the brackets, if someone could at least post up some good pictures, I'm sure some of us mechanically inclined folks can take it from there.

As far as any patents go, a patent just gives you the right to sue someone who is copying your product. The market for this product isn't even remotely close to being large enough to justify the many $10K it will take to sue someone over them.

Steve

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Yesterday @Daddy Dave and spoke at some length about a re-design & re-boot on the saddle bag brackets. He is sending me a template of the changes he made to the JFC brackets he modified and I'll put those together with mine.

This week I'm going over to the vendor I've used in the past (i.e., for my manual CTX heel shifter arms) to see what it would take to start producing them here.

Windbag that I am, I'll keep you all informed on the status.
:)
Dave..... I look forward to your input.... here’s the last thing Bob designed for me...... :D

41413DB9-E84A-4D47-8DC2-41D520583040.jpeg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dave..... I look forward to your input.... here’s the last thing Bob designed for me...... :D

View attachment 82201
Ahh yes! This was done because Brad came unprepared to take home the free front fork lift I gave him. That's right, no charge for the fork lift and even no charge for the duct tape. This all because he didn't have the ka-hone-knees to balance it on his lap. What a guy!! Then he went and sold the CTX.
>:)>:)>:)

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Sending my best wishes and good thoughts to John and his family. I've learned a lot from his posts and he replied directly to a couple of my FNG questions. Heal quickly my friend.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
howdy,
this post will grow quickly with concerned people responding to bad news about someone who proved to be a friend to most of us. here's sending prayers heavenward and praying comfort to his family and many friends.
these responces remind me of the bad news about judy of the modern vespa forum where i also lurk. these forums are a great method of keeping connected to an otherwise invisible world of interesting folks.
all the best to all y'all
ken

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is so much to be learned from his knowledgeable posts, and he provided a moderating voice as moderator. It was, still is, refreshing and a refresher course to read him. Hope all the best wishes we send his way will be both comforting and healing.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Dave, thanks for all the time and effort you put into clarifying this for us. Here's wishing John all the best.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts