CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following threads about these brackets because I need to add some storage. I just got off the phone with Ryan at Grille Tech and ordered a set this morning. He's a great guy and fun to chat with. He still has some available and currently charges just under $200 delivered. A great buy compared to other options.
Thank you all for the information on where to buy and showing how you adapted them for a variety of different side case uses

·
Registered
2016 CTX700 DCT
6 Posts
I have been following threads about these brackets because I need to add some storage. I just got off the phone with Ryan at Grille Tech and ordered a set this morning. He's a great guy and fun to chat with. He still has some available and currently charges just under $200 delivered. A great buy compared to other options.
Thank you all for the information on where to buy and showing how you adapted them for a variety of different side case uses
What bags are you going with?

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Peripheral Input device Gadget Font Mouse

What bags are you going with?
I went with these and although I paid for the mounting hardware I didn't use it. It might be overkill but I took a bag to tap plastics and they cut me a sheet of ABS plastic. Then placed thin posterboard from dollar store inside the bag and rubbed with a pencil to make an outline of the raised areas inside the bag. I cut the paper to create a template and cut the ABS to fit with a scroll saw. Lowes had ABS primer and cement in a small combo pack and I glued the plastic in place and used weights to hold it until it dried. Bolts, nuts, fender washers and neoprene washers I bought at Ace hardware.
These bags are small but I think they look really good on my ctx. Only time will tell but I have zero concerns about them cracking while bolted against the JFC brackets.
They are too small for weekend trips except for the most frugal packer (think an extra pair of shoes and clothes) they work great for trips to the grocery store and errands for small things.

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One other thing about the Matzu saddlebags, the lights work but I don't think it's bright enough for a brake light. I would plan on using the lights as running lights.

·
Registered
2016 CTX700 DCT
6 Posts
I went with these and although I paid for the mounting hardware I didn't use it. It might be overkill but I took a bag to tap plastics and they cut me a sheet of ABS plastic. Then placed thin posterboard from dollar store inside the bag and rubbed with a pencil to make an outline of the raised areas inside the bag. I cut the paper to create a template and cut the ABS to fit with a scroll saw. Lowes had ABS primer and cement in a small combo pack and I glued the plastic in place and used weights to hold it until it dried. Bolts, nuts, fender washers and neoprene washers I bought at Ace hardware.
These bags are small but I think they look really good on my ctx. Only time will tell but I have zero concerns about them cracking while bolted against the JFC brackets.
They are too small for weekend trips except for the most frugal packer (think an extra pair of shoes and clothes) they work great for trips to the grocery store and errands for small things.
Sounds great! Show a pic if you have one.

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great! I see your windshield is adjustable, what kind is it?
MadStad windshield. I tried the Puig first and it looked nicer but at about 60 mph I was still getting uncomfortable helmet buffeting. Oxford heated grips also made a world of difference.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
One other thing about the Matzu saddlebags, the lights work but I don't think it's bright enough for a brake light. I would plan on using the lights as running lights.
Love your Mutazu bags. I like the way they accent your bike. I used a different Mutazu model, and fabbed my own brackets. I bought some replacement red LED bulbs from Amazon for my bags, and they are much brighter. (and draw much less power) I use them as running lights also. Nice bike.(y):) By the way, how do you like the lowers you added?
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Plant Motor vehicle Bumper Tree Automotive tire
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love your Mutazu bags. I like the way they accent your bike. I used a different Mutazu model, and fabbed my own brackets. I bought some replacement red LED bulbs from Amazon for my bags, and they are much brighter. (and draw much less power) I use them as running lights also. Nice bike.(y):) By the way, how do you like the lowers you added?
View attachment 89127 View attachment 89129 View attachment 89123 View attachment 89124
MadStad said lowers help reduce buffeting (added benefit is a little less cold air on my shins).
I suppose it's more of a comment about me than the lowers but when I received the package I just installed everything. I was too lazy to install the windshield and take a ride to test it out before installing the lowers. So, I would buy them again just for the slight improvement of wind protection.
Your bike is nice, good job. Sure wish mine had a nice saddle like yours!

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
MadStad said lowers help reduce buffeting (added benefit is a little less cold air on my shins).
I suppose it's more of a comment about me than the lowers but when I received the package I just installed everything. I was too lazy to install the windshield and take a ride to test it out before installing the lowers. So, I would buy them again just for the slight improvement of wind protection.
Your bike is nice, good job. Sure wish mine had a nice saddle like yours!
The saddle is a Corbin Dual Saddle Standard, and I love it. It raises you 3 inches and pushes you back a couple. My ample backside wasn't comfortable on the stock seat.;):)

·
Registered
1 Posts
What company is Grille Tech? Do you have a link?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts