CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals..... I gave this whole ATTGATT thing the ole college try, but today I decided rather than sweating my butt off in my riding pants and textile jacket, I’d go styling in our Chevy station wagon with air conditioning.
Before this year, summer riding has always been with a light jean jacket and jeans. Still hot, but tolerable. I think I’m headed back that way.....

I’d rather ride than not.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Down here is southern Alabama is 95 plus every day with heat index over 105 when you factor in the humidity. Heck at 10:00 at night it’s still 84 degrees.

·
Registered
111 Posts
heat

Down here is southern Alabama is 95 plus every day with heat index over 105 when you factor in the humidity. Heck at 10:00 at night it’s still 84 degrees.

That's even hotter than here in Florida. Also, we usually get a breeze off of the Atlantic which helps.

·
Registered
720 Posts
So hot the pigs got frostbite. The corn in their slop popped, and they thought it was snow.

Seriously though, jeans and a light jacket seemed too much for 80-100° weather here in PA.

Textile is not all the same - some will claim "breathable" but have almost no airflow. I got a high-flow mesh jacket with padding. Shade on my arms and legs plus wind chill easily bumped my max heat commute up from about 80° in short sleeves to about 100° in the jacket. Feels like an air conditioner.
I also got solid leather chaps with a summer airflow mesh that is not high-flow but over-top of jeans still makes 95° feel close to what 80° in jeans alone felt like.

I still defer to the cage if it's raining when time to go in, but I don't mind riding home wet.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
348 Posts
I went riding yesterday: In Washington, DC, the temps were in the 90s, heat index above 100, and on the thermostat on my bike, the temp never dropped below 102. I was born and raised in this area, so I'm quite familiar with DC area heat and humidity. Yesterday it was so hot, the politicians made their interns yell at each other. (badabump-tash!)

I rode to north Frederick via side roads, which meant shady trees and slight breezes. I had on a long-sleeve T-shirt, vented Olympia jacket (black) and Ironworks rider's cargo pants (also black). Normally I'd ride with vented Olympia overpants over regular pants or shorts, but I wanted to see how the Ironworks felt. On the way up, as long as I had roads with as little as 20% shade on the road, or was moving at a good pace, I felt perfectly comfortable in all that black.

The way back was a bit different: My stock seat started to get hot, especially the 2 times I stopped and got off for a bit. Combined with the Ironworks pants, my butt started to feel like it was an ironworks. Probably from squirming around, I must have pinched off a nerve, because my brake foot fell asleep, and I caught he!! trying to wake it back up while on the road!

Anyway, made it home after going through about an 80-90-mile trip, got out of those pants, changed my T, and I was good. I think I still prefer the overpants, especially on really hot days (worse comes to worse, I can always find a bathroom and wear the overpants without trousers underneath). But I guess the Ironworks work in a pinch, in temps below 90 at least.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Remember, the evening news temps are always in the shade. In the sun where you're riding you can ad 12-15 degrees. We check both in the sun & shade, most often it's 12-15 degrees.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it was 94 here today during my 170 mile ride. I stopped off for a couple of cold ones 30 miles from home.... Man did they taste good!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Away, arrived in Denver, CO to 100 Degrees. What??? 5,000 elevation and near Wyoming and 100??? But they say its a dry heat. Was in NC at 3,000 ft, 78 degrees and further south, but that's a wet heat... Had to go to Rocky Mtn National at 12,000 ft to cool off! No global warming my [email protected]

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
OH NO!
We going to turn into warming vs not warming site??????????

You southern boys kill me. We always hear how hot it is in the south.
We get it to.
For the past week its been 90°F plus or minus a few degrees, with due point at 65° and higher.
Yesterday and today heat index at or above 105°F, some places around the state will hit 115°F heat index.
House windows in the morning for the past week are dripping wet from the moisture.
So yea here in the north country we know heat.

AND we also get -30°F in the winter!!!

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is only one way to settle this........ let’s ask the cows..........

·
Registered
111 Posts

OH NO!
We going to turn into warming vs not warming site??????????

You southern boys kill me. We always hear how hot it is in the south.
We get it to.
For the past week its been 90°F plus or minus a few degrees, with due point at 65° and higher.
Yesterday and today heat index at or above 105°F, some places around the state will hit 115°F heat index.
House windows in the morning for the past week are dripping wet from the moisture.
So yea here in the north country we know heat.

AND we also get -30°F in the winter!!!

Yea, I lived in Littleton, NH for two years and temp would go down to -30. Had to have an engine block heater for my van. I loved the area, but hated the weather, thus only two years living there.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
348 Posts
Yes on global warming. Greenland was once green.
And it will be again. Soon.

When I know I'm going to be out in slow traffic and intense heat, I break out my CamelBak, fill it with cold water and strap it to my back underneath my jacket. It helps to ward off some of the heat on my back, and keeps me hydrated while I ride. It usually gets me through a 1-1/2-hr ride before I drain it, but that's drinking fairly liberally; it's easy to stretch it out to over 2 hrs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts