CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 C200 / 1966 S65 / 1979 CB750K / 1982 CT110 / 2016 CSC RX3 / 2018 CSC TT250
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone. Picked up a 2015 CTX DCT a week ago. I'm in the process of performing maintenance and inspecting it. While inspecting, an electrical connector caught my attention. It think it prone to premature issues due to road and weather conditions. The connector is not protected in anyway. The connector is located in front of rear shock towards the top. Is this normal? Maybe the dealer worked on it and left it as is.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I cannot get to that spot right now to physically inspect it. I see two connectors...is that right? If one is green with 12 wires that is Junction G. If the other one has 7 pinks/blue and 6 black/white that is Junction B. Junctions are almost always outside of the loom. I think they are weatherproof...I'd ask someone else to confirm. I don't like the way that looks either, but it is probably fine. It is not going to hurt anything to move it a little up or down.

Edit: I was able to get to it. Same on my wife's '15 DCT.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Best I could do without taking the chain guard off. Mine is totally covered in tape where I can’t see the connector and the harness runs straight across the back of the engine. I can see a bulge in the tape probably where the connector is but I cant see any exposed connectors in the vicinity.
Wire1.jpg

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cannot get to that spot right now to physically inspect it. I see two connectors...is that right? If one is green with 12 wires that is Junction G. If the other one has 7 pinks/blue and 6 black/white that is Junction B. Junctions are almost always outside of the loom. I think they are weatherproof...I'd ask someone else to confirm. I don't like the way that looks either, but it is probably fine. It is not going to hurt anything to move it a little up or down.

Edit: I was able to get to it. Same on my wife's '15 DCT.
Thanks for checking. I agree that is secured enough from movement. I hope it's a weather proof connector like you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best I could do without taking the chain guard off. Mine is totally covered in tape where I can’t see the connector and the harness runs straight across the back of the engine. I can see a bulge in the tape probably where the connector is but I cant see any exposed connectors in the vicinity. View attachment 87220
Is your bike a 2015 model? That's what I expected mine to look like.
Maybe mzflorida's bike and mine were made on a Friday right before quitting time! Ha ha.

·
Registered
950 Posts
If you are concerned about any electrical connectionbeing shorted out by moisture or rain just do what the ATVErs do. Coat the connections with dislectric grease. I did this with both of my ATV 's. When new I pulled the plastics and filled all the connections with that grease. I havehad my quads in water deep enough to be over the seat and never had an issue with electrics.Very simple to do. Put dielectric grease on your finger and literally fill the connection with grease. That keeps water out of the wireing.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are concerned about any electrical connectionbeing shorted out by moisture or rain just do what the ATVErs do. Coat the connections with dislectric grease. I did this with both of my ATV 's. When new I pulled the plastics and filled all the connections with that grease. I havehad my quads in water deep enough to be over the seat and never had an issue with electrics.Very simple to do. Put dielectric grease on your finger and literally fill the connection with grease. That keeps water out of the wireing.
TIP, funny you mention that because I was thinking of doing that. I think I’ll remove the shock and have at it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I agree with Tip. Grease the connectors up with dielectric grease. Pull the connectors apart and grease them on the inside and also on the back side where the wires enter and reconnect them and tape and seal them up if you can get good access to them.

·
Registered
928 Posts
get a small mirror and look in the back of the connector where the wires enter. If it is a "waterproof" connector, there will be silicone inserts on the wire... they could be black, green, or purple based on my experience with aerospace wiring harnesses..

They typically look something like this and are installed on the wire before the terminal crimp is made and inserted into the connector.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
get a small mirror and look in the back of the connector where the wires enter. If it is a "waterproof" connector, there will be silicone inserts on the wire... they could be black, green, or purple based on my experience with aerospace wiring harnesses..

They typically look something like this and are installed on the wire before the terminal crimp is made and inserted into the connector.
I'm familiar with automotive "Weather pack" style; which this does not appear to be. I have some NYE dielectric grease on the way. A weather proof connector in that location would make sense. I'll keep everyone posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts