CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help. I am trying to connect the lights for my trailer to the bike, but I understand that in order for me to reach that harness I have to remove lots of panels and metal parts on the back of the bike, and since I also have the OEM side cases I have to remove them with all the hardware that supports them. I hope there is another way, if you know it, please let me know! Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The harness connection (and relay) is behind the left rear fender panel. It is really the best place to tap into. You may be able to tap in at the lights themselves, but you are essentially removing all the same parts to be able to route the wiring from the lights anyway.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think you have to remove the left rear cowl to access the harness to properly tap into and seal the trailer harness. It is pretty well sealed between the cowl and fender liner. I think it would be just as much or more work trying to get around removing the cowl than to just do it. I could not find any way around pulling the cowl due to there is no exposed wiring under the seat to splice into. The attached link shows a picture of what the harness looks like under the cowl that you would have to tap into. Hope this helps.
Honda CTX700 Bestem 929 Top Box Install

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks a lot for your link, you did an awesome job with that instalation, however, I was trying to find a way of getting to that bundle of cables without removing all those parts, somewhere between the fuse box and the back of the bike.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I can’t take credit for the website but kudos to the person that put the information up. I did use the information to wire up my top box.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I found this graphic on another thread showing the main wire harness. My hope is that I can access it without removing any panels.

·
Registered
767 Posts
You can access the brake light I think, but not the turn signals, since the relay is where it is.....

As stated already, it is not nearly as hard as you think to remove that panel.

Reactions: Hondafan

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Tony for your comments, I guess the only way to know for sure is by trying. I already collected enough information thanks to all of you and the threads written about this topic. Have a nice weekend.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it’s true, it’s not that hard to access the wiring harness, just removing two screws then two pop ups and there it is. The problem I encountered is that those pop ups kept turning and turning without allowing me to safely remove the plastic panel. It’s good that I was also installing the back rest and the Givi top case because they have to be removed anyway in order to access the side panel. I’ll post pictures on Monday.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
304 Posts
Yes, it’s true, it’s not that hard to access the wiring harness, just removing two screws then two pop ups and there it is. The problem I encountered is that those pop ups kept turning and turning without allowing me to safely remove the plastic panel. It’s good that I was also installing the back rest and the Givi top case because they have to be removed anyway in order to access the side panel. I’ll post pictures on Monday.
I was surprised by the infinitely turning screws also. Now I know they only need a quarter turn, and there are several more in other places on the bike.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are the screws, even though they need only a quarter-turn they keep turning hence you can not remove the panel. I prefer the ones that pop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
304 Posts
I found the trick was to apply very light pressure while turning. They do screw ‘out’, but only a little and if you turn too far they pop back in. Once I understood the nature of my enemy he wasn’t so scary. 🤣

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Use a bit only without a handle. It is harder to apply too much pressure and makes it easier to pop out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts