CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the look and low seat height of the CTX700. It has an upright position and looks comfortable to drive unlike most sports bikes. It comes with DCT and ABS for $8k, which is very affordable. I really don't see any drawbacks, except I don't have much experience with motorcycles. And I'm not sure if 700cc is too much for me to handle. Is this bike good for beginners to learn on?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes it is an excellent choice for a beginning rider. It is well behaved. It has enough power to cruise above the speed limit but it's not scary fast or intimidating. You also won't outgrow it and be stuck looking for a bigeer bike down the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO, the CTX would be a wonderful bike for a beginner. The light weight and design makes this bike easy to handle and nimble. Definitely not too big.

Reliable, with no big worries and an easy introduction to Do It Yourself maintenance - you will have to clean and lube the chain every so often.

Go for it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
CTXee - this bike is not only great to learn on, but it is great to keep long term. I am just a guy who once had a Nighthawk for a couple years before kids. Now 15 years later I was wanting a motorcycle I feel I can control and enjoy despite my limited experience. I have never felt the bike was more than I could handle and yet this bike is made to handle everything that other bikes can handle. Who wouldn't want that?

Also, Google the reviews - see what the experts are saying about it's friendliness to new or dormant riders.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think it's a fine beginner bike. It's my first real motorcycle. But at @ 50hp, you're not going to hit 100mph in 3 seconds like some fast sportsbikes.

If you're not really sure, you should just take the MSF class. That way you can ride anything. You'll still be really green for a while, but it gets you used to the basics, and then you already have the gear before you even buy a bike!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was very interested in this bike for the same reason. Took the Motorcycle safety course on their little 250's and it was excellent training. Went right out and bought my CTX700DE fully automatic and I am greatly pleased. Having never really ridden before it is a very good bike to enhance your skills and not get bored. Has good power, not overwhelming and handles great. Weight is centered so it feels really light for a 700cc. I don't know about other bikes but I am glad I bought this bike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's the first bike I've ever owned or ridden, outside of the 250s I learned on in the BRC. It is not a too big of a bike for a beginner.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I rode a 150 scooter for a few months before outgrowing in and moving to the CTX in May. It is a great beginner bike in my opinion as a new rider. I would add though, that it is obviously not a toy and you can get into plenty of trouble if you ride beyond your skill. I have about 5,000 miles on it now and absolutely love it. It fits my beginner status perfectly and honestly I can't find a reason to move up to another bike.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Its a great choice in bikes. Not to fast and not to slow. Like another other vehicle, you have to respect it and what it is capable of doing. If you want to take a leisure ride at a moderate speed this bike will do that: if you want to get a little more aggressive, this bike will do it.

Always ride within you comfort zone and ability

all this being said---I LOVE MINE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought a Shadow RS 750 after getting my motorcycle endorsement. It scared the s... out of me. I bought it at age 67. The first time I rode a bike was the 250 Rebel during training. Traded the shadow for the CTX DCT. The Shadow had 43 miles on it. I'll be 69 in a month. 1500 miles + and the riding season isn't over yet. I don't know how riding could be easier.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Please read this thread

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/ct...013-honda-ctx700-suitable-new-riders-why.html

You need to identify what you mean by beginner. Have you taken a motorcycle safety course? Have you ridden before? If so, the ctx700 can be a great bike, it can last you far beyond the beginner stage too...

If you do not know the difference between the brake and the clutch lever, I would not recommend it. Only you know the answer to those questions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts