CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the 2013 Honda CTX700ND will be equipped with ABS will it be any safer or is it not necessary? How different is ABS on motorcycles than cars. I never had the luxury to ride a bike with an ABS system. Just wonder how effective it would be on a bike like the CTX700 or just in general. Is it the same feel and function as it is in a car?

·
Registered
32 Posts
In the past i have looked in to different motorcycles that offer ABS. I'm not sure if I can justify spending the extra money for it. From my understanding is that the ABS system is runs differently then on cars which have a ecu to compensate for all for wheel and work in sync with speed sensors. I have been riding for over ten years and have been more than confident even in bad road conditions. Just exactly how much more is the ABS on the CTX700?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The ABS system now on bikes is much similar to cars than you think. The Honda ABS system now actually does use wheel sensors to detect traction on the better wheel and send most of it braking to the wheel with most traction. And all this works with an individual electric pump so you don't feel the feedback in the brake lever itself. Some would argue that the ABS system is purely mechanical but ironically this is not true at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow it is a lot more complex than I thought it was. I thought the same where it was more mechanical but I was wrong. Honda is really good to use by adding in these new technologies. I think it just might be woth the extra $1000 bucks but I don't want the dual clutch auto tranny. And the only one that has ABS is the CTX700N and it's bundled with DCT and ABS. So it is safer with the ABS system though?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have seen a demonstration fro ABS vs Non ABS motorcycles, and let me tell you I was a non believer till I saw it with my own eyes. two bikes going the same speed and same braking point and the ABS equipped bike stop safer more effective and at a shorter distance of 45 feet less than the Non ABS bike. This was tested under wet road conditions. So for the heavier CTX700 which comes in at around 500lbs, the ABS might help. what is a 1000$ extra really?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Yeah the ABS system is really effective and proven in more than one occasion but very few people know exactly how it works and the actual benefits. It is still a topic to discuss amongst those who know just so little about it. I can see a lot of mature riders going with the ABS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have seen a demonstration fro ABS vs Non ABS motorcycles, and let me tell you I was a non believer till I saw it with my own eyes. two bikes going the same speed and same braking point and the ABS equipped bike stop safer more effective and at a shorter distance of 45 feet less than the Non ABS bike. This was tested under wet road conditions. So for the heavier CTX700 which comes in at around 500lbs, the ABS might help. what is a 1000$ extra really?
To add to your point. A small demonstration :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
here we go- this is relevant for ABS question

·
Registered
84 Posts
A good rider will be able to stop in a shorter distance on a clean, dry surface without ABS. If you only ride on good roads on pretty days, you probably don't need ABS.

On any kind of wet or dirty surface, the ABS bike will stop quicker than the non-ABS bike.

I ride in sunshine, rain, dirt, mud, and snow. I love the little backroads. My last three bikes have had ABS. I doubt I'll ever buy another one without ABS.

I am very disappointed that Honda still charges over $4000 for ABS on a Gold Wing. That's one of the main reasons I'm buying a CTX1300 instead of another Gold Wing.

I have never needed the ABS on my CTX700, but it's available when I get into trouble. The really nice extra benefit for buying the CTX700 with ABS was that I got that really nice DCT thrown in for free.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The important thing with the ABS is you can still steer while going OH S#!T. Been there done that lived to tell about it, saved my life.

·
Banned
463 Posts
A more important thing if you don't have ABS.........DON'T LOCK UP THE REARBRAKE....as they did in the video.
You'll go down!

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
A more important thing if you don't have ABS.........DON'T LOCK UP THE REARBRAKE....as they did in the video.
You'll go down!
That video is complete BS he turned/leaned it! I lock up rear brakes every now and then on purpose and emergencies wet or dry. It's not that dangerous, you don't go down unless you don't know what your doing! It is important to lock up the brakes every now and then to be prepared for a time that it will happen. In fact, if something in the rear should happen, rim blow apart, rear death wobble or whatever, it is safer to lock up the rear wheel until you stop then to let whatever is happening to continue.

ABS is just as debateable as oil, airbags, etc. There is no proof it will save your life, every situation is different and it can either help or hurt. Eventually abs will become standard like they do in cages and airbags. I for one refuse to have abs on 2 wheels. Do what you think you should do!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
ABS certainly has its place in the MC world. Most of the hoopla and maligning has more to do with the misconceptions floating around. You wont stop any faster or any shorter because of ABS. ABS prevents wheel/brake lock up thereby eliminating skid. This is much more critical on wet or slick roads than the usual dry surfaces most bikers enjoy. If you ride year round then ABS can certainly come of its own and be well appreciated. If you plant your bike in the garage during inclement weather then you will probably never have the need for it.

·
Banned
463 Posts
That video is complete BS he turned/leaned it! I lock up rear brakes every now and then on purpose and emergencies wet or dry. It's not that dangerous, you don't go down unless you don't know what your doing! It is important to lock up the brakes every now and then to be prepared for a time that it will happen. In fact, if something in the rear should happen, rim blow apart, rear death wobble or whatever, it is safer to lock up the rear wheel until you stop then to let whatever is happening to continue.

ABS is just as debateable as oil, airbags, etc. There is no proof it will save your life, every situation is different and it can either help or hurt. Eventually abs will become standard like they do in cages and airbags. I for one refuse to have abs on 2 wheels. Do what you think you should do!
Hey Rebel,
I obvoiusly wasn't talking to you. There are a bunch on here that just quit riding horses and got on 2 wheelers. You don't fit into that group.
I agree with you.

Reactions: Rebel13

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Hey Rebel,
I obvoiusly wasn't talking to you. There are a bunch on here that just quit riding horses and got on 2 wheelers. You don't fit into that group.
I agree with you.
Right and like that, don't know what to really call it but, I call it grandfathered riders.

Same thing happened with cages when they went to abs. You where taught to tap brakes. Then came ABS and when they go active, they should never be tapped. I guess it's correct to say we are in the middle of an era change since they are both still avalible~

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
ABS is another complicated technology of sensors feeding a computer. Nice when it works, a pain in the ass and wallet when it does not.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
ABS is another complicated technology of sensors feeding a computer. Nice when it works, a pain in the ass and wallet when it does not.
This is my first bike equipted with ABS and I'm a big fan. I ride year round and have done a considerable amount of wet weather riding this year. Had two occasions the ABS was activated and I'm still here to talk about it and the bike is the same condition as when it left the homestead. I can attest to the fact that without it I wouldn't be here and the bike would be sitting in some storage lot waiting for my family to decide what to do with it. It does work, even for some of us experienced riders.

·
Registered
301 Posts
OK I see a need to tell my ABS story.
I was riding home one afternoon with moderate traffic going 70ish. I was on the CTX that day, it's my wifes bike and I don't ride it that often. I was trying to locate a rattle and only paying half attention to traffic ahead. When I looked up traffic had stopped or slowed to a crawl. I grabbed all the brakes hard and swerved. The ABS activated and the bike chattered, downshifted, slowed and steered. Had I been on my Vstrom or Goldwing I doubt I'd be typing this out.

·
Registered
547 Posts
OK I see a need to tell my ABS story.
I was riding home one afternoon with moderate traffic going 70ish. I was on the CTX that day, it's my wifes bike and I don't ride it that often. I was trying to locate a rattle and only paying half attention to traffic ahead. When I looked up traffic had stopped or slowed to a crawl. I grabbed all the brakes hard and swerved. The ABS activated and the bike chattered, downshifted, slowed and steered. Had I been on my Vstrom or Goldwing I doubt I'd be typing this out.
The key is you were able to steer. That's one of the beauties of ABS since you can keep the wheels turning, stay in control and steer out of the situation. I remember when taking the MSF safety course they were teaching us how to make an emergency stop while in a curve. The technique was to straighten up and get out of the lean, get the wheels straight and cram onto the brakes. I remember the first time I didn't get the wheels straight and when that rear wheel locked up, down I went.

Jack

·
Banned
463 Posts
Typically when you lock the rear brake the bike is going to skid sideways. As long as you keep the brake applied you will go down in a "low side".
If you release the brake, and you have deviated a ways from straight up, the rear end will swerve violently back to straight, and you will be "high sided".
It is very difficult to keep the bike straight and upright when the brakes are locked.
Probably one reason Honda makes the rear brake on the CTX so inadequate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts