CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi People,

I'm Jim. My ST1100 left for a new owner a few days ago; yesterday I picked up a 2014 CTX700 DCT/ABS and rode it back home from Denver.

It was pretty funny watching my left side limbs behave as if they had a mind of their own: left hand squeezing a phantom air-clutch, left foot foot doing an Irish jig looking for the shift lever. Meanwhile, both feet flailing about for the $#@^% foot pegs, and where the heck is the rear brake pedal anyway?

You might wonder about the sanity of a guy who would bail out from a perfectly-running, sweet ride like the ST. But said guy is in his 70s and could no longer handle safely the weight and high center of gravity on the ST (there's even a forum called Tip Over Tales, which should tell you something).

A windscreen and maybe a top case will be in its future, and also a device to flash the headlights constantly in order to give me at least a fighting chance against brain-dead cagers who want to turn left in front of me. The seat sucks, at least to my ST-accustomed derriere, so a Russell seat will probably go on sometime.

I'll be driving it gently for at least the first 300 miles, and have found the DCS tranny . . . interesting. Haven't tried the paddles yet. All in all, I think I could be falling in love. Please don't tell my beloved bride.

I look forward to being part of this forum.

Reactions: Kfrill and VFRrider

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Jim,
We could be in the majority here soon! Similar reason to you, as the CBX now too hard to get onto the centre-stand. Hips, knee and shoulder re-constructed, and still ok while riding, but can only stop near a kerb for my lady to get on-board or off. Hoping the CTX will fix all that and cause a stir when we finally ride into the rest home. I'll need to change my handle soon as I thought I was going to be the only geriatric here. Still months away from getting my CTX-D, but I intend to thrash it from day one. If I kill it, I'll confess to the group to warn others not to be so reckless.
Cheers..Tom
PS Rode the first ST1100 at a demo ride day at the Adirondak rally in 1993 and couldn't believe how nimble it was compared to the X.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gathering of Geezers

Yo Jim & Tom, kindred sprits. My ST1100 (pride of the fleet) is going to be passed along to a younger more nimble rider. The weight and height have move me to the CTX700. I fell in love in 1993 but waited 7 years riding a HD instead. Anyway, I look forward to more chin-chin with you guys as we discover our CTXs. Mine has 500 miles- nearing the 600 mi break in service. Glad we got a few in FL. I anticipated waiting later in the year. Later Tom (wjohnso1)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, sounds like an ST1100 expatriate society! Cool! My ST went on a younger guys trailer on Friday and I rode my CTX700ND home yesterday. Almost dropped it on the start of the test drive trying to put my feet on the old pegs. Initial impressions are great, it has more snap and power from the DCT than I expected after reading reviews.

Definitely going to be looking for an after market windscreen.

Looking forward to talking to you guys.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
welcome evanh and congratulations on your new purchase. I got mine June 13 and today it is 1565 miles. I think at 1600 I will actually adjust the chain instead of just oiling it. I didn't have an ST1100 but I trade in an 04 VFR800 on it,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looks like I'm in y'all's group. My Super Tenere is on the blocks and as soon as its gone I'm going for the CTX- D. My left ankle doesn't work and I have an arthritic knee. It has gotten too hard to shift. I am looking forward to the relaxed riding position and DCT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts