CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the CXT700 DCT perform at slow speeds, say 15 to 25 mph?
Is there any engine lag, vibration, or hesitation?
Does it run smoothly while cruising at 25 mph?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I find that, like in congested city traffic, I will drive in Sports mode. More responsive to changing conditions, less lagging, and shifting.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Handles really well at slow speeds, well balanced. I think this is one of its strengths. I can ride it even at 5MPH and it will balance nicely. I am in some city traffic every time I ride to work on the bike, its handles really well. 15-25 MPH no issues at all. In general the CTX DCT is a great commuter bike IMO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think once you get to know the bike, you use sport mode and the manual shifters to get the most out of it. After my first maintenance, the bike is as smooth and responsive as can be.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Its an excellent slow speed bike, especially in heavy traffic with the DCT. Unlike a high rpm bike, the torque of the parallel twin comes on almost immediately and stays there throughout the powerband so power at slow speeds is not a problem.

Its so well balanced, I can bring it to a stop and balance it without putting a foot down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses!
I guess I'll be at the dealer soon to purchase my CTX700 DCT soon!
My next big decision will be fairing or no fairing.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Matter of taste. Mine is naked NDT, in black. MANY comments on it. The fairing may help if you are planning an aftermarket windscreen down the road; they work hand in hand if you want max wind deflection.

Naked, not so much. But I love it with my Puig Universal mounted on it. See my posts about that. Screen MFR is here: Monster Parts: Puig Stream Universal Windscreen
Not for those looking to block every breath of wind.

·
Banned
1,571 Posts
well hurry up, it'll soon be winter
snoop around here for a lot of pro and con on either faired or naked
read it all and then decide
just get on with it

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have no trouble at slow speeds, though I also flip to S. Like other people said, it seemed to lug a little in D--I do think my throttle control has improved a lot though so it is less noticeable now.

I have a naked, no windscreen and love it, but for th most part I am a dry weather back road rider. The one time I opened it up to admittedly excessive speed on the highway, I was wishing I weighed about 75 pounds more! A little tough to stay in the saddle.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Fairing or naked? Since your having to ask yourself the question, I'd go ahead and get the faired model. You cant go wrong buying the faired model and its easier to install luggage. With the naked model, if you ultimately decide you should have bought the faired model, you'll only be disappointed in our bike.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The bike as they say is a superb balance of comfort and sport, not too much power as to be temperamental at the lower gears when stopping or starting.
The drag in the DCT at the lower gears (1-3) is noticeable in sport, but I actually find this useful since I use this drag as engine braking to limit the need to use the brakes at medium to low speeds. The drag in sport is also noticeable if your hand happens to slip off the throttle at an inopportune moment trying to trip the transmission mode button but i don't consider that to be much of an issue either.

All that aside if you really want to push the engine and discover how far it will go, the manual mode of the DCT is where it's at, even the (auto mode called) sport does not fully exploit the acceleration ability of the engine. The inline twin and the DCT have great potential for bigger things, I hope Honda continues to develop it. They do need to stop making milk toast versions of these engines+transmission combinations and create an actual racy bike with this config, people I suspect who bought the VFR that was configured with this setup felt the same otherwise it would have been more successful.

I get admiring looks from folks all the time, current and former riders of all kinds of bikes. I'm happy to talk to them about it, most of them still won't buy it because of the perceived stigma of it being a 'noob' bike (or just not HD enough) which is so terribly unjustified. Honda really did it a disservice by fostering this idea.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Fairing or naked? Since your having to ask yourself the question, I'd go ahead and get the faired model. You cant go wrong buying the faired model and its easier to install luggage. With the naked model, if you ultimately decide you should have bought the faired model, you'll only be disappointed in our bike.
If you are the type that enjoys the wind in your face, the fairing with a stubby shield will give you that option too.

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nuge - Naked vs Fairing not an easy question to answer. Just get one of each! I briefly thought I "regret" my naked decision but its really hot and I appreciate some air flow. I like the looks and color too. I'm getting used to Hwy wind. I'm enjoying it. It will be great for commuting in slow moving traffic if I decide to do that. Maybe if you live up north or if you do a lot of Hwy cruising you would appreciate the least amount of wind. Fairing is the way to go then. Of course you can still buy a good Madstad screen for Naked models and put it on in the winter if you live down south.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I hate to admit this but I have 2500 miles on my bike and have never put it in sport mode. I love the manual but mostly run in D but after reading these post I'm going out and play with sport

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
well hurry up, it'll soon be winter
snoop around here for a lot of pro and con on either faired or naked
read it all and then decide
just get on with it
Unless there's snow on the road this winter, I know what i'll be doing on my faired bike. RIDING! >:)
Just like I did last december!

Reactions: jfc77320
1 - 20 of 69 Posts