CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In anticipation of purchasing a CTX7oo I contacted Progressive, who carried the policy on my Victory.
I was amazed to find that the annual premium for the Honda was more than what I was paying on the Victory, which was a 2012 model.
The CTX has only about 38% of the displacement and priced around 35% of the Victory.
Even used the Victory sold for more than double the cost of the CTX.
After questioning the figures I finally found that the CTX is rated as a "Sport" bike as opposed to the Victory which is a plain ole "Cruiser".

The rating is ascribed to the "expert evaluators" that do such things.
After commenting on how this is in no way a Sport Bike, I contacted another insurer, Foremost.
Although the rate was significantly lower again they have the CTX rated as a Sport Bike.

Has anyone else found the insurance rates to be hign for the CTX?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have Allstate and my annual rate for my CTX is $281. Of course that's with all the discounts I'm getting from them b/c my house and cars are insured with them as well. Still I thought that was pretty cheap for being a first time rider. I'm a male, 46 years old and never owned a motorcycle prior to this purchase.

Reactions: ctxers

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is clearly classified as a CRUISER by Honda. I would have them bring up the Honda site and see.
I have sent an email to Progressive informing that Honda catgorizes The CTX as both a Cruiser and a Touring bike.
Hopefully someone will check and revise their rating.
I do have my home and cars with USAA, who does not specifically insure bikes, but uses Progressive for this purpose.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also use Allstate. Very reasonable although a little higher than $281! And I have a house and two cars with them. Hmmmmpfff

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also use Allstate. Very reasonable although a little higher than $281! And I have a house and two cars with them. Hmmmmpfff
Well my local agents always work to get me all the discounts available. That's another thing, make sure you go through your local agent b/c the people at the national HQ's don't look for all those discounts.

Reactions: Kirstenparks

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I contacted Progressive for a quote on my 2014 DCT, they came back with >$800!!!

Contacted our local insurer for our house and two cars, American Family. They quoted a price of $224. Goodbye Progressive (who had been the insurer for my previous bike, a 2001 ST1100A).

Another thing - there was a price difference between a bike of 700cc and 670 cc, so be sure your agent knows that, even though it says CTX700, the engine doesn't displace 700cc.

Reactions: toyota_tundra

·
Registered
309 Posts
When I contacted Progressive for a quote on my 2014 DCT, they came back with >$800!!!

Contacted our local insurer for our house and two cars, American Family. They quoted a price of $224. Goodbye Progressive (who had been the insurer for my previous bike, a 2001 ST1100A).

Another thing - there was a price difference between a bike of 700cc and 670 cc, so be sure your agent knows that, even though it says CTX700, the engine doesn't displace 700cc.
I didn't even have to tell my agent that the bike only displaces 670 cc's, I just gave them the VIN number and they came back with the quote. But I guess some companies don't have their systems updated or they are just trying to stick it to you or both. LOL

Definitely go to your local agent for quotes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I almost bought new CTX 700D ,after check with my insurance,I stop don't buy it,they want 680 almost the same with my car,they said because it touring bike cost more,I still wait to see any change.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I almost bought new CTX 700D ,after check with my insurance,I stop don't buy it,they want 680 almost the same with my car,they said because it touring bike cost more,I still wait to see any change.
Geesh! You must have an awful insurance agent or some pretty bad driving habits.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not young man,I got full cover for my 2008 silver wing high cover and full ,just half price with the CTX and I with them a long time,I may change different agen,I check progressive and Geico,seem geico better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In anticipation of purchasing a CTX7oo I contacted Progressive, who carried the policy on my Victory.
I was amazed to find that the annual premium for the Honda was more than what I was paying on the Victory, which was a 2012 model.
The CTX has only about 38% of the displacement and priced around 35% of the Victory.
Even used the Victory sold for more than double the cost of the CTX.
After questioning the figures I finally found that the CTX is rated as a "Sport" bike as opposed to the Victory which is a plain ole "Cruiser".

The rating is ascribed to the "expert evaluators" that do such things.
After commenting on how this is in no way a Sport Bike, I contacted another insurer, Foremost.
Although the rate was significantly lower again they have the CTX rated as a Sport Bike.

Has anyone else found the insurance rates to be hign for the CTX?
Yes I have progressive too. Sport bike it is. I got a supervisor on the line, she said that the VIN. Is how they tell the designation. Didn't matter what honda said. The rate was about the same as the 01 Wing I traded in. 30+years licensed bike rider with two MSF experienced classes under the belt.
No matter to them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow! I think you guys have bad agents or something. I'm only paying $281 a year.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
naked CTX with Geico . 300K bodily injury 100k property comprehensive and towing 229.00 but I have had license 45 years, not wrecks, tickets, no claims.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try this insurance company, one of the largest in the world. They recently bought out the company I work for is why I know of them. Funny thing is, they bought the company and about 2 weeks later I receive an e-mail wanting to quote me motorcycle insurance. Made me go...hum...:rolleyes:

Markel Insurance

I ran my information and with a 25,000/50,000 Bodily injury, 25,000/50,000 Liability policy my quote on a CTX700N was... wait for it...

$137/year:) That is with no claims/wrecks, etc... on my driving record. Running the info with a 100,000/300,000 limit was only $161/year.

I pay $151/year for my Rebel thru State Farm.:confused: Guess I need to switch.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Alot of variables and alot of different markets, so it's hard to compare, but overall as one who is fairly new to the powered-two-wheeler world and hearing the horror stories from others about rates, I've been pleasantly surprised at the insurance cost for me to own a bike. My record is like Bill's except he's got me in experience by about 10 years.

I'm with Tennessee Farm Bureau. I've also got the higher liability limits (100K,300K,100K). If you've ever known anyone whose medical bills exceeded the minimum coverage, you'd probably pay a little more for what is known as 100/300/100. Most insurance companies don't tell you about it, but it is an available plan from most companies; it gives a realistic level of liability; and doesn't cost that much more in most instances.

I'm paying about $310 a year or $155 every six months.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm paying about $310 a year or $155 every six months.
WOW, while I see your point WOW!

I only pay $257/year full coverage on my '00 Cherokee at State Farm, and I'm almost 100% sure it's covered at 100,000/300,000. That's living in Marion County (Indianapolis) where rates are MUCH higher than the surrounding counties. Maybe my age is a factor, I'm soon to be 58.:confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
After questioning the figures I finally found that the CTX is rated as a "Sport" bike
Yup. We've discussed it here a few months back. It sucks. I think Geico is one of the few insurers that has it classified correctly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yup. We've discussed it here a few months back. It sucks. I think Geico is one of the few insurers that has it classified correctly.
Well, I think Allstate has it classified correctly as well. My premium is $281 with a $500 deductible.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts