CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I just bought a set for $14.99 to try out. Cant beat the price. Wish they came in clear instead of tinted to match my clear Cee Bailey. If nothing else, I may use the mounting system on a set of custom wind deflectors I've been working on.

·
Banned
1,571 Posts
@ nick13
good job, I guess you got the screw out of the left bar end
the listing says they connect only to the bar end but you say mirror also
can you elaborate on that? you make a second mount?
maybe a pic of where it attaches to the mirror?
Edit-nevermind, I saw the mirror end in the listing pics

·
Banned
1,571 Posts
Great find! gonna try a pair.

But I guess you get what you pay for.
No metal guard, all ABS plastic!

metal is usually found in the handgaurds used on adv or dirt bukes where they are much more likely to fall over by virtue of were/how they are ridden. The extra protection of brake and clutch levers is worthwhile.
I think plastic for us is about all we need unless a lot of off road riding will be done.
You could probably get Moose Racing, Barkbusters or a similar brand to work if lever protection is needed.

Reactions: armycw2

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow, I rate this mod right up there with the $8.95 for my "slip on" foam grips! I had no issues removing the end weight screws, and as Nick13 said (and showed), they seem made just for our CTX. Very good fit on my naked DCT model (with Madstadt windshield). I had to be a little extra "cautious" with adjusting the right side hand guard, as I've switched the brake lever with another one which is adjustable... with a bit of care, I was able to mount the guard so the brake lever has clearance and no issues.
Combined with my heated grips, and usual riding gloves, my one ride out in some chilly mountain temps proved that these hand guards make a big difference in keeping the top of my hands warm. The light smoke color matches my windshield tint as well... nice look and more help being comfy while riding in the colder fall temps. Very satisfied with them.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Combined with my heated grips, and usual riding gloves, my one ride out in some chilly mountain temps proved that these hand guards make a big difference in keeping the top of my hands warm.
What heated grips do you have? I'm thinking about Oxford. It's $90 and I had them before on VTX and they were perfect!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have the dealer installed OEM heated grips. Whatever heated grips you decide on, I think you will find it a worthwhile mod.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I thought these looked interesting http://www.amazon.com/PowerMadd-34210-Star-Handguard-Black/dp/B001TW5BAW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446341046&sr=8-2&keywords=motorcycle+handguards while they cost a bit more and you have to buy the mounting kit separately the ability to easily remove the vent cover when its hot makes them more versatile.
just from personal experience, this type of guard blocks very little wind for cold weather street type applications and the single plastic mount wont hold up to off road applications. For practical purposes, it's junk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you have a link for the foam grips? And do they still allow functionality of the heated grips? I'd like to reduce vibes but still have the heat.

Wow, I rate this mod right up there with the $8.95 for my son"slip on" foam grips! I had no issues removing the end weight screws, and as Nick13 said (and showed), they seem made just for our CTX. Very good fit on my naked DCT model (with Madstadt windshield). I had to be a little extra "cautious" with adjusting the right side hand guard, as I've switched the brake lever with another one which is adjustable... with a bit of care, I was able to mount the guard so the brake lever has clearance and no issues.
Combined with my heated grips, and usual riding gloves, my one ride out in some chilly mountain temps proved that these hand guards make a big difference in keeping the top of my hands warm. The light smoke color matches my windshield tint as well... nice look and more help being comfy while riding in the colder fall temps. Very satisfied with them.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts