CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a trade-in value for my scooter today at a dealer and left a deposit on the first CTX700 that comes in; hopefully in red, but I told them to call me even if it is white. They do not have one on their order sheet, so they don't know when they'll get one. They are not even getting any "Ns" until July 11, so I hope this doesn't translate to them being behind on the fairing models as well.

Went to a different dealer first. Good news was that they actually had a confirmation ship date on a white one August 19. Bad news was the low-ball trade in value they gave me, and the $350 in fees added to MSRP. Deal was the same even without the trade. They wanted over $9K out the door for a stripped, standard model and almost $6K with a 2013, 350 cc scooter with an original price of $5499 in on a trade, so I took a trip another 110 miles to a second dealer. Glad I did.

Second dealer not only offered $500 more on trade in, but also guaranteed a price lower than MSRP but no specific price yet and no fees other than taxes, title, registration. I left the scooter with them, as they are in a much bigger population center than where I live, and I won't have to haul it back if it doesn't sell.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Gregsfc, congratulations, seems like your shopping around paid for your trouble. If they get one in that is not the color you desire, don't cave and take it anyway. Get what you want always. Waiting costs you very little (I know it isn't fun).

My story here in northern Calif. 334.00 shipping 40.00 document fees Plus sales tax 332.48 (I had trade-in so no tax on that amount) 51.00 Ca license fee 70.00
Ca transfer/title, 3.50 Ca tire fee. out the door 7838.98 and 2.99 percent Honda credit rate for balance owed, 130.00 a month for 36 easy payments. Figured I would finance it for a few months.

Reactions: Kfrill

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know normal fee add ons are somewhat local. In real strong markets or areas where labor is costly, I imagine it is customary for dealers to charge high fees added on to the MSRP.

Fees are pretty common down here as well, even though dealers can get and keep labor pretty cheaply, and we're still pretty deep in the recession in so far as the job market goes, meaning disposable incomes are down and power sport items aren't really flying out the door. I checked a few other Honda dealers as well. Most charged MSRP + $99 document fee and that was it. Of course there are the taxes, title and registration fees but those vary state to state. Tennessee has almost no other revenue except for the sales tax, so our sales tax is super high, but we're pretty cheap on vehicle registrations otherwise.

Some of these other dealers are getting the N models in and show the fairing models on their order sheets schedule in August, however, none of these other dealers would trade with me if I needed to do that, so I decided to narrow down my search to the two dealers that would trade. The only two points of anxiety I have now is that a CTX700 won't show up before riding season is nearly over, and I don't know if this dealer has some kind of trick up their sleeve, because they wouldn't commit to a precise price due to the fact that they don't yet know their cost. I've researched some of their reviews, however, and there is virtually no negative stuff on them regarding pricing surprises; everyone reports positively about the deal they got. The only negatives I could find was a few regarding service; a few instances of them having somewhat arrogant attitudes towards customers; and the fact that they had to pay a fine to the NTSB for selling new stock that had recalls.

After leaving a deposit with this particular dealer, I now understand why all the other dealers are suffering. This place probably made twelve sales in the hour and a half that we were there. There is no scent of a recession at this particular dealer. They were rocking and rolling and had a huge sales and support staff. I can understand how this dealership got caught selling recalled vehicles. They were probably just too busy to take notice. It was pretty chaotic.

As far as the color, if I really liked the red a whole lot more than the white, I would wait it out, but I like the white pretty well too, so I'll probably take either one if there is no choice at the time. They're not trying to push one on me. I told them to let me know when the first one comes in; red or white.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fees are pretty common down here as well, even though dealers can get and keep labor pretty cheaply, and we're still pretty deep in the recession in so far as the job market goes, meaning disposable incomes are down and power sport items aren't really flying out the door. I checked a few other Honda dealers as well. Most charged MSRP + $99 document fee and that was it.
Wow, you guys are pretty lucky. Out here dealers charge all kinds of shipping/setup/freight/doc fees which total about $1,000. And then there is sales tax on top of that. Ughh...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats on finally being able to make a decision. I know I originally wanted mine in black, but am completely convinced now that I'm happier I got it in red.

My only "regret", is that I didn't realize how hard it was going to be, to try to find a windshield to work with the naked model. It's not enough for me to wish I'd gone with the fairing version, but still... ugh!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Congrats on finally being able to make a decision. I know I originally wanted mine in black, but am completely convinced now that I'm happier I got it in red.

My only "regret", is that I didn't realize how hard it was going to be, to try to find a windshield to work with the naked model. It's not enough for me to wish I'd gone with the fairing version, but still... ugh!

The hardest part with a generic windshield is figuring where to mount the supports. The F15 I am using came with it's own supports but they were not usable. I think it will take awhile before mounts are available for the CTX. Most use the bars for support and might have the hardware for that but the lower mount is the hard part. Where can you bolt. Check out the How To section for lower location I used for bolting lower supports.

The fairing version uses the gas tanks side panels for the support as they are molded differently.

Explore local shops and ebay for various shapes of windshields and they usually show the mounting hardware included. good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts