CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, today is my 80th birthday.:) I joined the forum 4 years ago when I bought the Silver Bullet from the Dealer (see pic#1). I just had completed my hip replacement, and discovered I could throw my leg over a bike pain free. I loved the DCT too, which solved my wrist arthritis issues with a manual clutch. Now I could start riding again!

I really have enjoyed the forum, and learned so much from you all. Gave me the confidence to tackle the mods I added. (see Pic #2) The HD riders even admire my bike when I pick it up from storage in April.:cool: I really do love this bike, and enjoy the 8-month riding season here in Rochester. And my wife says the bike has done wonders for my disposition.(y)

I was reading an article in the paper last week about present day motorcycling, with some interesting statistics. Back in 1980 the average age of motorcycle riders was 27. Today the average age is 50.:oops: To me, this means fewer young people are entering motorcycling, and us old fogies won't stop.:D Probably because us old folks grew up with manual transmissions, four on the floor, etc. You can hardly find a manual transmission car now, and standard motorcycle transmissions are foreign to youngsters. Who knows? Anyway, two thirds of the accidents happen to the riders under 50, so this proves: there are old riders, and bold riders, but very few old bold riders.:giggle:

Anyway, just some musings from an old rider who loves his CTX. Ride safe.
The silver bullet.jpeg 2020 storage 2-a.jpg

·
Registered
2014 manual, naked version,Corbin, Bodis exhaust,factory bags, MRA windscreen, center stand
72 Posts
Happy birthday! Hope to see around town.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, today is my 80th birthday.:) I joined the forum 4 years ago when I bought the Silver Bullet from the Dealer (see pic#1). I just had completed my hip replacement, and discovered I could throw my leg over a bike pain free. I loved the DCT too, which solved my wrist arthritis issues with a manual clutch. Now I could start riding again!

I really have enjoyed the forum, and learned so much from you all. Gave me the confidence to tackle the mods I added. (see Pic #2) The HD riders even admire my bike when I pick it up from storage in April.:cool: I really do love this bike, and enjoy the 8-month riding season here in Rochester. And my wife says the bike has done wonders for my disposition.(y)

I was reading an article in the paper last week about present day motorcycling, with some interesting statistics. Back in 1997 the average age of motorcycle riders was 28. Today the average age is 50.:oops: To me, this means fewer young people are entering motorcycling, and us old fogies won't stop.:D Probably because us old folks grew up with manual transmissions, four on the floor, etc. You can hardly find a manual transmission car now, and standard motorcycle transmissions are foreign to youngsters. Who knows? Anyway, two thirds of the accidents happen to the riders under 50, so this proves: there are old riders, and bold riders, but very few old bold riders.:giggle:

Anyway, just some musings from an old rider who loves his CTX. Ride safe.
View attachment 88376 View attachment 88377
I'm 76, almost as old as you. Started riding in 1960 at age 15 and haven't stopped since. Had 6 Hondas and 6 Harleys. Never had an accident. Got 60,000 miles on my 2015 CTX. Yes, DCT is the future I think. I remember when all the macho guys said they'd never drive a car with an automatic and now you can't find one without it. I think the same think will happen with bikes. The old macho / Orange County Choppers etc. guys are dying off and new riders are interested in performance and reliability rather than style and posing. Happy birthday.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Happy Birthday! Keep on keepin' on Professsor!

Reactions: Professor*76

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 76, almost as old as you. Started riding in 1960 at age 15 and haven't stopped since. Had 6 Hondas and 6 Harleys. Never had an accident. Got 60,000 miles on my 2015 CTX. Yes, DCT is the future I think. I remember when all the macho guys said they'd never drive a car with an automatic and now you can't find one without it. I think the same think will happen with bikes. The old macho / Orange County Choppers etc. guys are dying off and new riders are interested in performance and reliability rather than style and posing. Happy birthday.
Yes, I remember some old bikers telling me you were a wimp if you rode a bike with electric start.:ROFLMAO: Loved those old kick starters...

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
461 Posts
Happy Birthday, Professor!

If that article is online, I'd love to read it. I don't know how much bike ridership is shrinking because of manual transmission usage, but it does constitute a skill you need to learn to ride most bikes, and part of the old allure.

Still, things change, and with DCTs and automatic trannies in other scooters, I don't think that will keep younger riders away for long. (I always suspected it was the young person's need to bring tons of their gear with them, keeping them in cars to handle all that gear. Biking's decline roughly matches the rise of the SUV and the era of BRING ALL OF IT.)

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Happy Birthday, Professor!

If that article is online, I'd love to read it. I don't know how much bike ridership is shrinking because of manual transmission usage, but it does constitute a skill you need to learn to ride most bikes, and part of the old allure.

Still, things change, and with DCTs and automatic trannies in other scooters, I don't think that will keep younger riders away for long. (I always suspected it was the young person's need to bring tons of their gear with them, keeping them in cars to handle all that gear. Biking's decline roughly matches the rise of the SUV and the era of BRING ALL OF IT.)
Here's the link, Steve. Not sure if it only works for subscribers, though. The article has loads of good information on motorcycle safety and accident statistics.

Reactions: Steven Lyle Jordan

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, I remember some old bikers telling me you were a wimp if you rode a bike with electric start.:ROFLMAO: Loved those old kick starters...
I remember in at least one episode of “Then Came Bronson” you could clearly hear the electric starter of the Magic Sportster as Michael Parks pretended to kickstart it.

And, by the way, congrats! That’s a great looking bike, and if I ever decide I need saddlebags (unlikely, but you never know) I am going to copy yours.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks, all, for the birthday wishes. Quite a milestone, and hope to keep riding as long as I can.(y)
By the way, I've lost 50 lbs. from that dealership photo. It hasn't improved my 40 yd dash time though.;) GOG ride.jpeg

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
It continues to be an absolute pleasure to be "along for the ride" with you, Professor!:D Too bad we're on opposite coasts. In our current upside down world, so many of us could use a better disposition..."What's Goin' On?" Love that smile at the dealership!
I believe (hopefully) that the number of female riders continues to grow, a good sign. Thanks for sharing and stay safe & well!(y)
Perhaps our NHTSA could/should do more to promote Rider Safety(survival) Training, on a national level.:coffee:

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
461 Posts
Here's the link, Steve. Not sure if it only works for subscribers, though. The article has loads of good information on motorcycle safety and accident statistics.
Thanks, Professor; the article did work (I have 2 articles left 😉). Lotsa good and common-sense stuff in there. Based on the article, clearly, the 2 biggest threats to motorcyclists are alcohol and other drivers. Your choice which is worse.

I am surprised that most accidents are happening to older riders, considering how I see younger people squidding around on the roads, and I'm amazed they aren't the bulk of accident victims out there. Maybe the youngsters are that good on their sportbikes... or maybe us oldsters are getting that bad (or that drunk). Either way, good stats to know. (I didn't want to call the stats "sobering," but...)

·
Registered
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 2018 Kawasaki X300
83 Posts
Happy Birthday and you sure don't look your age. I'll be74 this year and I don't feel like I've changed...at least that is what I tell my wife. Last month we went to the Florida gulf coast with the grown kids and their families and I told her I never thought the day would come when I would get excited about going to the beach with a 73 y/o woman. The doctor told me the swelling would go down in a few days, take aspirin for pain and don't tell your wife that again. lol
Enjoy the bike and ride free as the wind because we never know when the wind will become a storm.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks, all, for the birthday wishes. Quite a milestone, and hope to keep riding as long as I can.(y)
By the way, I've lost 50 lbs. from that dealership photo. It hasn't improved my 40 yd dash time though.;) View attachment 88389
Happy birthday, I'm inspired by your posts and hope I'm blessed to ride so long (I've got 11 more years to go to get to your milestone)!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts