CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never owned a motorcycle before my CTX, although I did go through two motorized bikes in rapid succession. The bikes were great, and in fact I still have my Phantom Ghost 26, but it didn’t give me the speed, range or capabilities that I really wanted on two wheels. However, before I could move up to a motorcycle, I had to upgrade my driver’s license.

I got my license through Motorcycle Safety Foundation at my local Harley dealer riding on a closed course on a Street 750.

The Harley dealer worked hard to sell the riding class graduates bikes, but it was clear that price, size and weight for most of Harley bike didn’t work for me, so I started looking at several used bikes in the area. I looked at a few learner bikes for a few weeks and was disappointed, so I turned my attention to the closest other choice, my local Honda dealer.

I was surprised in my opinion, to see how small the price gap was between a new bike and many of the used learner bikes that I looked at. The hook was set, it had to be new!

After my days on the Street 750 and as soon as I walked into the Honda dealer, I was immediately drawn to the CTX models! The CTX met my first test PRICE, then PERFORMANCE, then the SEAT HEIGHT & POSITION, then the WEIGHT, then great MIRRORS and then it answered the most critical question, could be a KEEPER bike, Absolutely! After a little more tire kicking, I was off for a test ride. It was a warm fall day, which only added to my excitement and my determination to buy the CTX!

It took just a couple weeks of continued research, devouring every article or review I could find, one article in particular, my favorite and which is still online at this writing can be read at www.motorcycle.com/events/honda-runs. That did it for me! I decided on the 2014 CTX NAKED model.
By the way, I didn’t know about the “66 MPG” until after the purchase, lucky me!

If you are like me! You buy something and for weeks or months afterward, you continue to compare prices, watch for newer offers or anything else that helps validate your selection and purchase. That is the case with me and it happens on every ride since the fall off 2015!

You can find more about me and my CTX at:

Jimmy H.:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Jimmy.
Nice bike. I watched your videos on all the upgrades you have done to your CTX. I agree this bike is a keeper. This is my first bike as I started riding in 2016. I love it. Very comfortable.
I finally got the windscreen that works for me. Better said, I got the windscreen I can afford and made it work for me. There is no better feeling than to be pleased.
Any advice on engine crash guards to install extended foot pegs on them?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Hey Jimmy.
Nice bike. I watched your videos on all the upgrades you have done to your CTX. I agree this bike is a keeper. This is my first bike as I started riding in 2016. I love it. Very comfortable.
I finally got the windscreen that works for me. Better said, I got the windscreen I can afford and made it work for me. There is no better feeling than to be pleased.
Very likely, the best choice for you would be the Fehling Protection Bars from Germany. Here's the link:

https://www.fehling.de/index.php?content=preise&markenid=6&lang=de

Scroll down to the listings for the CTX700. There are cheapo rip-off's from our Wuhan virus supplier, and I've had both. Save up the few bucks more and get the German original. The quality, fit and finish of the OEM vs. the knock off's are beyond compare.

Yours is the naked for which the Fehling's are built for, however, you might want to read over my notes for the adaptation I did in order to make them work on my faired CTX. Click the link in my signature below to do so.
:nerd:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks Bob.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you Hondabum. I started liking red more since I Got the bike. 😉

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey ElCap,
How much fun was it doing those wheel stripes? Did you use wet or dry method?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I place them on dry and carefully. I cleaned the rims with soap and water and some alcohol. The circumference works itself out for the CTX.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey Jimmy.
+1 on being a keeper....I love my 2017 CTX 700 DCT...just right for me in every way...I fell very grateful to have encountered it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Still Riding

Riding here in East TN... We have mountain roads where it is just me and my bike... Enjoying the wind therapy during these crazy times...

My 2018 CTX DCT is new to me... I just bought it before the shutdown and have been enjoying it. I also ride my Indian Scout but this CTX is a great fun ride... Effortless in the curves and back roads.

Just did the 600 Mile service, installed a T-Rex Center Stand, and a Bodis in place of the OEM muffler.

I have really enjoyed the DCT Sport Mode on the curvy roads here.. I did learn that I needed to manually shift down before going into tight curves to keep it from shifting down while in the curve.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jimmy, your love for this sport, lifestyle, choice...whatever you want to call it... is awesome! You can tell that it is something that really gives you joy! I for one really appreciate your always upbeat and enthusiastic posts!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I place them on dry and carefully. I cleaned the rims with soap and water and some alcohol. The circumference works itself out for the CTX.
Thanks. I put my tank stickers on dry, despite recommendations to the contrary. I will certainly try that for the wheel pinstripes. Just need some warm weather and to finish another project or twelve.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Riding here in East TN... We have mountain roads where it is just me and my bike... Enjoying the wind therapy during these crazy times...

I have really enjoyed the DCT Sport Mode on the curvy roads here.. I did learn that I needed to manually shift down before going into tight curves to keep it from shifting down while in the curve.
I have found that, in a series of curves, it is sometimes easier (and less distracting) to put the DCT in Manual mode. In Sport it wants to shift up anytime I back off the throttle, where I often just want to stay in the same gear for the next curve. (BTW, for anyone unfamiliar, the AT/MT switch will change the DCT directly to and from Sport on the fly.) Most of the time, though, I just leave the DCT in Sport mode. I especially love the way it downshifts so quickly when braking hard. I used to be pretty good at that myself, but the DCT is quicker and a whole lot less work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Arrgh, That is a nice bike. I like red a lot, but I must admit black is still my favorite color on the CTX.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Arrgh, That is a nice bike. I like red a lot, but I must admit black is still my favorite color on the CTX.
ElCapitan, Glad your photo pushed me on those stripes. I think they really complete the look. In fact, if I squint a bit and
C9843EA6-2DF1-4EB3-AA50-EFD420699741.jpeg
scroll down, it almost looks badass!
40AF97D3-03B5-43A7-8677-9F90949B1C58.jpeg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts