CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, if most haven't figured out by now, I'm NOT a fan of Honda do to their VERY poor decisions. With that said, I took a new (2 year old left stock) bike home tonight. They only got me by class/es I am interested in and only by a great deal! When I first inquired, It was reasonable, but nothing for me to talk about. I was not impressed to say the least! After some time in thought, I decided to say forget it, I didn't need it anyway nor was I crazy about Honda's to begin with, the only reason I looked to begin with was the first 6k mark down. I was about to walk out and then they got personal, they came around, they wanted a sale today and went down another $1200. What then could I do? It isn't a CTX, but it is a Honda, for you Honda diehards.

2017 VFR1200X in Honda Berry (puke color)I may or may not change it later, too early to determine.

A quick blunt observation from my 125 mile ride home: It's peppy, throttle finicky, low tech, light weight, medium gas guzzler, cool-running, has firm seating and is smooth rolling.

BTW, they did have a new naked 14' CTX for $3,995, reasonable. About a month ago I checked the dealer where I had got my CTX, they have 2 14's with $8,900 price tags, no joke, crooks and dumbasez everywhere!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
BTW, they did have a new naked 14' CTX for $3,995, reasonable. About a month ago I checked the dealer where I had got my CTX, they have 2 14's with $8,900 price tags, no joke, crooks and dumbasez everywhere!
What dealer is this I have a friend that my seriously be interested in that N and we are not far from GA.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You are right, for 7200 less, I would have considered it too. But God dam this Honda bluntness. With the exception of 2 maybe bikes, everything is so blunt and BORING. A stark contrast to the auto division. Then again, Toyota puts me to sleep, but I guess that’s what people want.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Make people feel like they are getting a deal..and they will buy. Is what they told salesman. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay. So mark it up, and discount it.
Dealers hope to sell at list and some do buy full list, some wait for factory rebates (makes dealers look like they are offering a discount), and some wait til the dealer lowers his cut.......

Back in the day, People would say "whats wrong with a Honda" to which every Honda owner would say "Nothing"....And bikers who tested out a Honda would say "They are just Boring". IT has been Honda from the start "Boring Motorcycles, that last".

I do agree with Rebel, Honda with their poor decisions puts off me buying a Honda, unless I could get a big Discount, and then I still would have to think about it.
Now if I can get a new Honda (2019 GW DCT $25000) for the trade-in price of a one year old (2018 GW DCT $18500), I will take it!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Way To Go, Reb

Good for the industry too. Love the color, style, ABS...are the spoke wheels running tubeless tires?
Keep the rubber side down & Enjoy!;)
(I've really enjoyed my Hondas', Suzuki, Kawasaki, (Yamaha; not so much).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds like the dealer in Eustis, FL., waaaaay over priced !! On the other side, RC HILL DeLand Fl. gives great deals.
Pretty standard for central Fl., prices all over the place & most won't budge a penny. "Here's the price. Take it or leave it."

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good for the industry too. Love the color, style, ABS...are the spoke wheels running tubeless tires?
Keep the rubber side down & Enjoy!;)
(I've really enjoyed my Hondas', Suzuki, Kawasaki, (Yamaha; not so much).
Most up class adventure/tour bikes run a hybrid wheel. The hubs and rims are a rigid cast with a spoke connection, they are not true spoke wheels when it comes to function. So yes, they are maintenance free and tubeless.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Honda dealer in mobile Alabama has some manual shift 700ctx with the fairing in stock. Advertised for 4899$ when you call and ask the price after fees etc they want almost 7000$. Called halls motor sports. Talk about bait and switch tactic

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Nice bike. I read some reviews that said the DCT version easily out-performs the manual version of this bike, and has won over several old school riders..:D... only $400 for the upgrade....here we go.......Hmmmmmmmmmm>:)

Comments from one review: "DCT is $400 more expensive than manual on the VFR1200X, and I now believe I’d buy the DCT. I liked the first-gen version in the VFR1200F a few years ago, but I was pleasantly surprised how really good it has become in this X model. I rode the manual transmission machine for a while and was interested to find that I missed the DCT—and that’s nothing against the manual gearbox because it is smooth, precise, and a pleasure to operate. I suspect some people will scoff heartily at DCT and simply never entertain it–and that’s okay; Honda make both versions and will carry on with that. But, if you have an open mind to something new, I’d urge you to at least try it–I suspect you will be converted."

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Personally I'm going to see if they bring in an NT 1000 v in the next couple of years. If the do, and dct, I'll buy it ride for about another 3 or 4 years and then it's can am f3 for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not really a bait and switch tactic, ALL vehicle dealers do it. Anything new from a dealer is going to be roughly 2-3k (actual fluctuates with starting value"list price") higher out the door with tax, tag, fees of brand-dealer-state. That is why every dealer has the listing price AND request quote, list is never the price, but the starting point of price calculation. Only private sale is list price the actual price, but you still have other fees when it come time to legalize it.

Valves are no big deal on this bike.

Tell you what, I'm liking this thing more and more, I'm very impressed with it! However Honda, still lacks a lot of tech on this model.

I have adopted the sleek exhaust on this bike as well, it is SWEET in looks and sound! Shaved 9lbs, better performance, better appearance and best part of all, it was free!

Stock Exhaust

Sleek Exhaust

·
Registered
153 Posts
You don't like Hondas, but look at Hondas.

You don't like the color of the bike, which happens to be a Honda, yet you still buy it.

Sounds like you might actually like Hondas.

I don't like HDs so I don't even look at them. I certainly wouldn't buy a bike in a color I don't like...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't much care for loud bikes but the single sided swing arm is always super cool when it comes time to change a tire.

Those look like tubeless wheels too. Best of both worlds.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You don't like Hondas, but look at Hondas.

You don't like the color of the bike, which happens to be a Honda, yet you still buy it.

Sounds like you might actually like Hondas.

I don't like HDs so I don't even look at them. I certainly wouldn't buy a bike in a color I don't like...
I like bikes period. Doing so you stay in the loop of whats out or new. When you see a deal you cant pass up, well you take it. I don't hate Honda itself, I hate their manufacturing-design-board management and leadership, it is piss poor!

Your comment could be said with all those Harley bashers including yourself, they continually bash them on this forum. Why mention them if you don't like them?

I'm not a fan of Harleys myself, but if a killer deal came along, I might then get one. The chances are not likely as Harley is always in high demand and never cheap enough for a great deal. But since you mentioned them, have you seen the Pan American? It looks sweet!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Not my cup of tea that exhaust sound, but not my bike either. Is that really an exhaust? Looks like the muffler was just removed.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not my cup of tea that exhaust sound, but not my bike either. Is that really an exhaust? Looks like the muffler was just removed.
Anything connected to the exhaust manifold is the exhaust. It is stock header with cat still in place with a turn out with a slash cut in line with the bike topped off with a paint match. In person is always better, Very deep at idle and throughout the band. Muffler cut off and cleaned up basically. Why ad a hideous tube that is useless and top it off with high dollar prices, makes absolutely no sense to me? Speaking for those with same bike that feel the need to add a pipe for sound and looks when completely unnecessary. That is as bad as putting a fake car engine noises on an electric automobile! If you don't understand what I mean, look at some aftermarket exhaust videos for this bike, they are super quite and many are horrid over stock!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts