CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I busted up my left knee pretty bad yesterday. That set me behind on getting the Cee Bailey windshield installed on my CTX700D.

The plastic looks beautiful. This is the clearest plastic I've ever seen. The vent is very similar to the vent in the stock Gold Wing shield.

It's on now and it works great. If I slouch a little, it's perfect. I guess if I had it to do over I'd get the tall screen instead of the medium. I'm looking way over the top of this shield.

I rode the bike up to 75 mph on the highway without any of the jackhammer air I got from the Honda tall shield. I get none of the parachute action I was getting with the short Honda shield. At 75 I notice a little bit of blurring when I read the street signs. Lowering my head an inch makes that go away. I'll play around with the vent a bit this evening.

I'm about 5'10", but I'm long in the torso. I think most folks my height would find this screen to be perfect. If I were still planning to use this as my primary bike, I'd sell this shield and get the taller one. Since I've moved this bike to secondary duty, I can very happily live with the medium size shield.

The install would have only taken a few minutes if I could walk. Even with all the limping around, it only took half an hour. It took me nearly two minutes to climb onto the bike and nearly five to get off of it when I got to work today. The forward foot controls and automatic transmission make it possible for me to ride this bike while my knee heals up. The only difficult part is working the side stand. I wish I'd had this bike last year when I broke my wrist.

I highly recommend the Cee Bailey windshield.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Ken,
Glad you found the Cee Bailey to your liking, like I did.
From what I was able to determine 5 of us on the forum so far have bought the Cee Bailey.
Hope all are as pleased.
Hope your knee gets better quick.
Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
I notice that your Cee Bailey is angled back more than the original tall screen. I'm wondering if those unhappy with their tall screen could enlarge the two top-most mounting holes and allow it to follow a similar line to your C-B. Nothing to lose if it's heading to the trash bin anyway. Side on (it's on my screen saver and the real thing may never arrive) the actual fairing has a convex outline, from which the screen then takes off more vertically. I'm no aerodynamic expert, but it looks like that shoots the air straight up, only to come down on the riders head. Just a casual observation with no scientific proof.
About your knee, over 40 years ago I hit the end of a survey stake in mud that I couldn't avoid. I put up with it for 30 years, then had the patella replaced. Works perfectly, but I've heard that total joint replacement can be touch and go, so put up with the inconvenience as long as you can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well I ordered the medium CB a couple of days ago..Maybe after this review I should have got the tallest.Wasn't sure which one to order.Didn't want the hassle of returning the tall to get cut down,shipping takes forever to Canada.Just have to slouch a bit I guess??

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the 22" on my wife's bike.

I'm 5'11" and I'm looking well over the top (inch or two). The air is about on the top of my helmet. All of this will be perfect for her of course at a couple of inches shorter. She hasn't ridden it yet because I put the shield on the same time I was repairing crash damage.

Personally, I like my line of sight to be about right at the edge of the shield, so I can stretch over it if I have to, but I'm good with this height.

All in all I'm very pleased. If this was my bike I'd leave the 22" on and call it good as I can comfortably ride it now (with my 1/2 helmet).

·
Registered
842 Posts
Heal up, my Friend. Working under duress just might mean you love that Bike!

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's got a great look, Ken. Can you tell if there is more wind on your hands with the air pushed out more to the side?

Heal up. Ride safe.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I agree. Less air on the hands.
Hasn't been cold enough here to see overall effect.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been wearing gloves, so it's not as obvious. But I believe there's way less air on the hands. But mostly, there's way less bugs on the face.

Reactions: CaseSteam

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've ridden in the rain about three times with only the shorty screen with only mechanic's gloves. I've noticed that I feel almost no wind and my hands don't even get wet when raining. It looks like the weather would come right at my hands. What's going on with respect to air dynamics that keeping my hands dry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CB windscreen

I have installed the CB 22 inch, maybe I should have purchased the 23 inch. I'm 5'10". 22 is okay, but another inch may be better.
Ride safe

·
Registered
3 Posts
CB windscreen

I have installed the CB 22 inch, maybe I should have purchased the 23 inch. I'm 5'10". 22 is okay, but another inch may be better.
Ride safe

·
Banned
463 Posts
I've ridden in the rain about three times with only the shorty screen with only mechanic's gloves. I've noticed that I feel almost no wind and my hands don't even get wet when raining. It looks like the weather would come right at my hands. What's going on with respect to air dynamics that keeping my hands dry.
You must have been going with the rain......ha-ha

·
Registered
975 Posts
You must have been going with the rain......ha-ha
Could be. Seriously though, my hands took a far greater beating on the scooter, which had a full fairing, but maybe it was pushing the air towards my hands for some reason, or maybe the CTX pushes air away. On the scooter, this remained the case even after adding a winter screen, which had hand guards.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got off work earlier than expected today and I added some photos with the new screen to the end of my SmugMug CTX album:

CTX700 - TennesseeSmith's Photos
Great pics. I'm looking to get a windshield also. I'm looking at the one from Madstad and the one from Bailey. I did see on Bailey's website that they now have an adjustable wind vent version where you just open or close the vents in the middle of the windshield. Now I just have to decide which one to get.

I saw your bead rider on your bike also. Is that pretty comfortable?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts